The Student Room Group

Anyone applying for the Black Heart foundation scholarship

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Misslindseyke
Hey! I hope you're having a great week. Any update on the first cohort?

Hi :smile: No, I haven't heard anything new yet. We are still getting the same response of they are in the final stages of review -_-
(edited 2 years ago)
This may sound like a dumb question but can you still apply if you've already applied on sfe for the full maintenance loan and have been accepted for the full maintenance loan?
I come from a low income household and I don't know if I'll be able to afford uni even with the loan...
Original post by Caz1234567
This may sound like a dumb question but can you still apply if you've already applied on sfe for the full maintenance loan and have been accepted for the full maintenance loan?
I come from a low income household and I don't know if I'll be able to afford uni even with the loan...

As long as this is explained in your application, I don't see why not - a lot of people who qualify for the full maintenance loan still require additional financial help so I don't see why this should impact your application - just make sure to clearly articulate why you need and would benefit from the black heart grant.
Original post by Lauren___J
Hello everyone!! I applied to the Black Heart Foundation scholarship at the very start of April this year and I'm still waiting (and praying) for a response. Does anyone know when the foundation will finish reviewing their current round of applications, and when they will possibly get back to me? My entire postgraduate education is dependant on some external financial support, so I've been endlessly worrying about all of this!!

I'm manifesting and wishing the best for everyone else in this thread too!!

Hey, no idea - I'm in the same boat too, I applied towards the end of march and was told the applications for that quarter would be reviewed in late April but from what other people have said in the thread it seems like they are quite behind with the review process. Annoyingly on the website it says that only successful candidates will be contacted too. Wishing you all the best
Anyone heard anything this week?
Original post by Jsjdkskw675
Anyone heard anything this week?

I heard back earlier this week that my application was unsuccessful. I applied in February. Waited 3+ months just for that. Was anyone from that cohort successful?
(edited 2 years ago)
what sorta Black heat we talking here?
Original post by FoodnBooks
I heard back earlier this week that my application was unsuccessful. I applied in February. Waited 3+ months just for that. Was anyone from that cohort successful?

Oh no sorry to hear that :frown: I am surprised they told you about that because the website says only successful applicants would be notified
Also I applied in march so I believe i'm in a different cohort
Original post by FoodnBooks

Oh no, sorry to hear this! Did they give you any feedback/ indication as to why you didn't get it? I also didn't think they would let people know they were unsuccessful given what it says on the website, but that's better than leaving people waiting I guess. I applied towards the end of March so I assume I won't hear back for a little while
Reply 69
I submitted my application early May does anyone know when reviews start for this cohort?.
Original post by SM225
I submitted my application early May does anyone know when reviews start for this cohort?.

Were you not told in the email you got confirming your application had been submitted? I was told the next review period was going to be in late April, and applicants from the cohort before you (March/April) are yet to hear back I think, so I think anyone applying in May will probably be waiting at least a couple of months.
Reply 71
Were you not told in the email you got confirming your application had been submitted? I was told the next review period was going to be in late April, and applicants from the cohort before you (March/April) are yet to hear back I think, so I think anyone applying in May will probably be waiting at least a couple of months.

Thank you
Oh no, sorry to hear this! Did they give you any feedback/ indication as to why you didn't get it? I also didn't think they would let people know they were unsuccessful given what it says on the website, but that's better than leaving people waiting I guess. I applied towards the end of March so I assume I won't hear back for a little while

They refused to provide any feedback when I requested one, and they also told me there is a one year grace period to reapply. I won't be reapplying again if my PhD thesis proposal and financial circumstances are going to be the exact same next year. Makes no sense.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey everyone!! I've been in contact with a couple successful applicants from other socials who applied in February and have only found out about a week ago, so I have a feeling the April cohort may take a little while longer to be reviewed and for responses!! Still hoping they'll get back to us in early July but it may take a little longer.

I also wondered if anybody successful here could say how much they were awarded, or how much is the usual amount given from the foundation? I'm worried I may have asked for too much and can't seem to find any info on how much they usually give away. Thank you!!

Hey, did you ask for a specific amount of money? I assume if you are successful they will just award as much as if feasible? I doubt if they were convinced you deserved the award, that would be changed by how much you said you needed - I guess this is what the financial declaration form is for also, for them to see how much you need. But, I'm not sure if they have hard limits on what they can give or if it is completely tailored to people's fees etc.

How did you find the successful candidates, if you don't mind me asking? That's reassuring about the timing though!
I'm thinking of applying but it's kind of hard because the website doesn't have a lot of details on eligibility, what kind of people they're most likely to help, how much money they give, etc
I found a couple people through Twitter and LinkedIn, I've been panicking endlessly about the waiting time for responses so I reached out to a couple successful applicants and they told me they had to wait a little while longer!!

I wasn't sure if the foundation had a certain budget that's why I asked. I'm sure if they found a person deserving it wouldn't change too much, but I'm sure they'd like to give little scholarships to as many individuals as they could within their budgets, but I don't know!! I asked for £10k (which doesn't even cover half of my tuition sadly haha) - I'm hoping it isn't too much but the budget form shows the exact shortfall of my funds so hopefully they'll understand!! I feel like they have a lot of donations from celebrities and organisations so I'd hope they could give a good amount to us all. Still manifesting for everyone!

same - i asked a few on twitter/linkedin

as for money i asked for the entire cost of tuition fees and maintenance .... that's 50k lmao. but thats the financial help i need so
Original post by moso2203
same - i asked a few on twitter/linkedin

as for money i asked for the entire cost of tuition fees and maintenance .... that's 50k lmao. but thats the financial help i need so

People who applied this year you mean, or people who were successful in previous years?
Reply 77
Ric Lewis has said in multiple interviews that they don't provide full scholarships, they only do partial funding. But they don't provide info on how that partial funding can be. I asked for £7k.

I'm assuming the more you can cover on your own, the more likely you are to receive funding from them.

Still haven't heard anything back, I applied the start of April.
Reply 78
Yeah that's what I thought, that's why I only asked for partial funding too. A couple applicants from the previous years told me that the foundation offers up to £10k for each individual (or somewhere around that number) which is usually the highest they'll give, but I'm sure it's all dependant on an individuals circumstances and the specifics of the budget sheets!

I applied in early April too!! Hopefully we'll hear back sometime soon.

Does anyone know how many applicants are accepted each year ?.
Yeah that's what I thought, that's why I only asked for partial funding too. A couple applicants from the previous years told me that the foundation offers up to £10k for each individual (or somewhere around that number) which is usually the highest they'll give, but I'm sure it's all dependant on an individuals circumstances and the specifics of the budget sheets!

I applied in early April too!! Hopefully we'll hear back sometime soon.

Ah, did it show that you needed more on your budget sheet, but you explicitly asked for a certain amount? Did you explain where you would get the rest of the funds if there's a difference between the total amount you asked for and the ~10k you could expect from BHF ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending