The Student Room Group

Younger students

Hi, I'm applying in S5 (Scotland) and I'll only be 16 when I start uni. Is anyone else in the same boat and if so what unis are you applying for?
Not recommended.
You will be much younger socially, not able to drink/party and presumably not living in Halls.
Many younger students only realise later that this was a mistake. That they don't fit in, have problems with friendships, and generally feel 'out of it'.

On a practical level there are many courses where you can't start at 16 - all staff would have to be vetted - so you do actually need to check this with the Unis.
Reply 2
I've already had offers? Not to be rude but I didn't ask for advice because I've already finished all my research and I'm anxious about it enough. From what I've heard people don't care about age and I'm not a drinker so it wouldn't matter. Please don't make me feel like I've made a mistake when you don't know the reasons behind me applying ❤️
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Not recommended.
You will be much younger socially, not able to drink/party and presumably not living in Halls.
Many younger students only realise later that this was a mistake. That they don't fit in, have problems with friendships, and generally feel 'out of it'.

On a practical level there are many courses where you can't start at 16 - all staff would have to be vetted - so you do actually need to check this with the Unis.

Also I will be turning 17 within a few months of being there, which is around the same age as everyone else :smile:
Original post by tweety1012
From what I've heard people don't care about age and I'm not a drinker so it wouldn't matter.

Then why are you asking for opinions.
Reply 5
Then why are you asking for opinions.

I didn't, I asked if anyone was applying from S5 too?
i have a friend who is going to be 17 when uni starts, so hes a year older than you but hes also gonna be going early. cant remember where he applied but hes doing computer science. your case is pretty uncommon i would say, but not unheard of! youll probably be just fine when you settle in. i mean you must be super smart to be going so early so youll def figure everything out. wish you the best!!
Reply 7
Original post by dinomedic
i have a friend who is going to be 17 when uni starts, so hes a year older than you but hes also gonna be going early. cant remember where he applied but hes doing computer science. your case is pretty uncommon i would say, but not unheard of! youll probably be just fine when you settle in. i mean you must be super smart to be going so early so youll def figure everything out. wish you the best!!

I'll be turning 17 in the December but I actually know a lot of people who are applying/have gone from S5. If your friend ever wants to have a chat let me know! Would be brilliant to get a head start on making some friends :smile: Also thank youu
Not recommended.

this is normal in Scotland for BSc/BAs :confused:
Reply 9
Original post by stereotypeasian
this is normal in Scotland for BSc/BAs :confused:

Thats what i thought too
Original post by tweety1012
Thats what i thought too

like if you look at the entry requirements for everything but medicine/dentistry/vet med - they only need national 5s and highers
in my year, I can name an estimate of 10 people who left for uni in S5
I have also replied/seen quite a few of S5 (or people in S4 wanting to leave in S5) on TSR
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
My schools tiny so I'm the only one applying from my school in S5 but yeah I also know about 10 people who are leaving in S5 too

Quick Reply

Latest