The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ogs20
I'm just wondering if I'm wrong to assume that I'm included in the "many applicants" for the test date or am I the only one who received such an e-mail. :confused:

Yea, I think there will be many other people who have applied to Cambridge this year.

So you are having the interview in Malaysia right? Good Luck~!! :biggrin:
Reply 21
sh33mp
Hi, I happen to be your direct competitor -_- (christ's economics). I'm Singaporean and studying at HCI :smile:

HCI/HCJC's pretty big. I'd help you get around but your interview is right during my math A level paper =/

We've got different interviewers though, and mine is 2 weeks before yours

OMG!!! :eek: No~!! You have applied to Christ's College to read Economics?? hmm...Friend or Foe???

That's ok~! I hope we both will make it and go to Christ's College together~!! :yep: :rolleyes:

2 weeks before mine? When is it? 25th of October?
Who is your interviewer, by the way??
Reply 22
Mine's on 22nd. To be interviewed by a Dr. Milgate
Reply 23
sh33mp

Hey high five mine's on 22nd too. To be sure i'm not looking forward to it.. Are we gonna have only 1 interviewer? That'd be a little weird right considering that people in UK normally have 2 interviews with 2 interviewers in each..
Don't think i'm gonna wear school u though, mine looks like crap and it's not even neat.
Reply 24
I was told it's a one-on-one interview
Reply 25
Hey guys. Another direct competitor here. I'm a Chinese scholar studying in RJC and I happen to be applying to Christ's Economics as well. My interview is in RJC though. Same interviewer, the Dr M.J.Milgate. I don't even know if it's a Mr or Ms. Hehe.

Anyway, I'm really concerned about the 30-min supplementary essay as well. Any guess whether it will be on some economics topic or just general thinking skill? Also, I heard that they will give you maybe econs or maths problems at the interview to solve, is that true?
Reply 26
sh33mp

22nd!!!?? After 3 days...??:eek: hanayori you as well..??

WoW...Don't you feel nervous??

Good Luck!! I hope you guys will do well!!:yep:
Reply 27
wshuhan
Hey guys. Another direct competitor here. I'm a Chinese scholar studying in RJC and I happen to be applying to Christ's Economics as well. My interview is in RJC though. Same interviewer, the Dr M.J.Milgate. I don't even know if it's a Mr or Ms. Hehe.

Anyway, I'm really concerned about the 30-min supplementary essay as well. Any guess whether it will be on some economics topic or just general thinking skill? Also, I heard that they will give you maybe econs or maths problems at the interview to solve, is that true?

Oh no~!! Why Economics at Christ's College!!?? :eek: :eek:

That's ok~! I heard that Christ's College select about 4 overseas applicants each year so I hope we will all make it~!! ^^

Oh the 30 min essay is about just general thinking skills like 'In order to be a successful leader, is it better to be loved or feared?'
You can find some information at the TSA website~!

Good luck~! When is your interview btw?
Reply 28
kimhg22: 행운!!!
hanayori: May mắn nhé!

Im from BIS (kimhg22 must know it :P) and gonna apply in 2010 cycle to read Land Economy or Economics. Good luck to you all in singapore :biggrin:
Reply 29
Samsoonie
kimhg22: 행운!!!
hanayori: May mắn nhé!

Im from BIS (kimhg22 must know it :P) and gonna apply in 2010 cycle to read Land Economy. Good luck to you all in singapore :biggrin:

From BIS? Of course I know~! Thank you for wishing me good luck ^^ :biggrin:

You are applying to Cambridge to read Land Economy in 2010? not 2009?

Well then you still have enough time for preparation! Do your best to get the best possible predicted grades~! :yep:
Reply 30
Yeah! I added you on msn and possibly have a chat with you when your free is it okay?
Btw we share half the same subjects. Im doing IB1 with Maths HL Biology HL Eng B HL + Viet A1 SL Chemistry SL and BM SL...well yes of course TOK XD
Reply 31
kimhg22
Oh no~!! Why Economics at Christ's College!!?? :eek: :eek:

That's ok~! I heard that Christ's College select about 4 overseas applicants each year so I hope we will all make it~!! ^^

Oh the 30 min essay is about just general thinking skills like 'In order to be a successful leader, is it better to be loved or feared?'

Good luck~! When is your interview btw?

Thanks a lot for the information on the essay section. :smile: My interview's on 21st, which is the day after tmr! I haven't even started preparing for it. Too busy applying for US unis. I think I'll check up on the TSA website later.

Good luck to you too. I may not be a direct competitor after all. They may have some kind of quota according to your nationality I guess...
Reply 32
@kimhg22: Thanks for the info on the essay! I checked the website and it's actually part of the Oxford TSA (no wonder i couldn't find it at first!)
For anyone who needs it: http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/tsaoxford/about

Strange. Cambridge cant just put it on their TSA page? freaked me out for like a week :frown:

@Samsoonie: Hello! :biggrin: haha you're the first Vietnamese person i've met here (i'm assuming you're vietnamese, right?) - sorry cant type in VNese, havent found vietkey for macbook yet /:

Three days til the interview! What if he asks me about the current financial crisis? I have nothing much to say on that because I'm not an econ student or, for that matter, have ever been interested in econ..

@wshuhan: I would think that you face fierce competition from your fellow countrymen..
Reply 33
Hey all, I am new hear, I am from Singapore and looking to apply to Cambridge next year for the 2010 entry. So far i read that many here are applying for economics? I will be applying to study Engineering.

Anyone here care to share their interview experiences? I am quite wary of the test part especially the essay part which sounds new.
Reply 34
hanayori
@kimhg22: Thanks for the info on the essay! I checked the website and it's actually part of the Oxford TSA (no wonder i couldn't find it at first!)
For anyone who needs it: http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/tsaoxford/about

I am glad you found it~! Actually I didnt check the website. I got the Specimen papers from my friend who applied to Oxford last year.

hanayori
Three days til the interview! What if he asks me about the current financial crisis? I have nothing much to say on that because I'm not an econ student or, for that matter, have ever been interested in econ...

What discipline did you propose? If you applied to read Economics, the financial crisis will DEFINITELY COME OUT!

Oh, it seems you have having interview today or tomorrow??

Good luck!!! You can do it!!!!!!! :yep:

Let me know how it went~! :biggrin:
Reply 35
dotz
Hey all, I am new hear, I am from Singapore and looking to apply to Cambridge next year for the 2010 entry. So far i read that many here are applying for economics? I will be applying to study Engineering.

But not now~ After I finish my interview, I will let you know everything~! :yep:
Reply 36
i applied for bio science and my interview is this sat 25th.
Yikes!
Reply 37
wow it seems that the interviews are all over the place. I was told some in RJC, some in HCJC. So far are your interviewers from the college you've applied from?
Reply 38
kimhg22

hey, as someone who went through the application procedure last year, I'd just like to point out that the 30min essay was subject-based. For economics, it was two short essays. Don't worry about it too much though, and try to enjoy your interview!
Reply 39
Hey! sorry forgot to tell you guys about the interview. Can't share any specific questions but i have to say it wasn't as nerve-wracking as i thought it would be. A lot of personal questions (i guess 'cos i come from a rather 'interesting' background so there are things to talk about). Not many subject-specific stuff. I was so ready to launch into some philosophical debate (mentioned in the PS) but too bad didn't happen

The whole thing was pretty informal. I sat on a rotatable chair so i kept swirling around a little. That was fun haha. I blabbered and i talked very fast. Sometimes the words just escaped me and i'd stare at the wall for a short while.. haha hope words won't fail you during your interviews!

So i think just take a deep breath and enjoy your interview! I don't think it matters much, especially in my case where the interviewer doesn't come from my intended major..

Oh for whoever coming to Hwa Chong: Remember to go to JUNIOR COLLEGE. It's the first hwa chong thing that you see (first bus stop after a mall called Coronation Plaza - not so much a mall though, it looks rather run-down). You go pass that bus stop and you've come to the HIGH SCHOOL section, which is much much bigger and you stand higher chance of getting lost :P There're signs that says "Cambridge interviews" so do look out for them. Only 2 interview rooms, rather small and tucked in a corner of HC.
If you're really lost just ask around. HC people are mostly quite nice :biggrin:

Have fun and rock your interviews!

Tomorrow is TSA and the much-dreaded essay.. arghh

Latest

Trending

Trending