Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

University of Reading Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alex1859
Hi there!

I've just completed my accommodation application, and put Windsor Hall as my first choice as it seemed to tick the most boxes for me. I then thought afterwards I should have spoken to someone who has stayed there to see if it is actually decent!

Regardless, I thought I would now put something on here to see if anyone spent first year in this hall, and what that experience was like? (in terms of how sociable it is, the layout of the hall, and the quality of Park Eat and Park Bar?)

Thanks in advance for any help/information people can give on this :smile:

Hey @Alex1859,

Thats awesome! I'm sure you will love it.

I personally did not stay in Windsor, I was in Childs Hall for my first year! So I can't give you much insight into the hall itself. But I can tell you what Park Eat and Park Bar are like! Honestly I spent a lot of time there during my first year and I loved it. The atmosphere is really good and the prices are very student friendly! Its great to have it close by and on campus, and its students only which is good. Its a great way to meet new people, especially in your first year! Everyone loves it there, its very popular!

In terms of how sociable the hall is, I would say that all the halls are the same - there is not one particular hall that is more sociable than the others. Everyone is in the same boat and wants to meet new people, no matter what hall you decide to go into! You will also make friends from other halls too, so try not to worry too much.

I hope this helps! I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @Alex1859,

Thats awesome! I'm sure you will love it.

I personally did not stay in Windsor, I was in Childs Hall for my first year! So I can't give you much insight into the hall itself. But I can tell you what Park Eat and Park Bar are like! Honestly I spent a lot of time there during my first year and I loved it. The atmosphere is really good and the prices are very student friendly! Its great to have it close by and on campus, and its students only which is good. Its a great way to meet new people, especially in your first year! Everyone loves it there, its very popular!

In terms of how sociable the hall is, I would say that all the halls are the same - there is not one particular hall that is more sociable than the others. Everyone is in the same boat and wants to meet new people, no matter what hall you decide to go into! You will also make friends from other halls too, so try not to worry too much.

I hope this helps! I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have

Daisy

Ah ok that's no problem, but brilliant to hear about the facilities by the accommodation being so great in terms of quality and the social side!

Yeah that makes sense, I'm not too worried more excited really haha, just wanted to check there wasn't any bad vibes at the place so that sounds fine.

Thanks for your response Daisy, it is much appreciated and if I have anymore questions I'll be sure to ask you!
Original post by Alex1859
Ah ok that's no problem, but brilliant to hear about the facilities by the accommodation being so great in terms of quality and the social side!

Yeah that makes sense, I'm not too worried more excited really haha, just wanted to check there wasn't any bad vibes at the place so that sounds fine.

Thanks for your response Daisy, it is much appreciated and if I have anymore questions I'll be sure to ask you!

@Alex1859,

No worries at all, really glad I could help!

Definitely no bad vibes - don't worry! I look forward to seeing you on campus in September :smile:

Daisy
Do we need to pay a deposit?
Original post by Anonymous
Do we need to pay a deposit?

Hi!

A deposit is required yes, but this will be paid back at the end of the year if there are no damages to the accommodation. However, I have just left halls myself, and due to the pandemic, they allowed us to pay the deposit with our first rent instalment instead of paying it before we moved in so do check with the accommodation team to double check when the deposit would need to be paid buy! You can contact them here: [email protected]

What halls have you applied to stay in?:smile:

We look forward to welcoming you on campus! If you have any questions about halls life, please feel free to ask!

Skye :smile:
1st Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Hello! I am going to be starting my masters course in September! Im looking at private accommodation and wondered if there is any particular forum for students to meet and discuss house sharing?Thanks for your help in advance. B
Original post by BH&rv
Hello! I am going to be starting my masters course in September! Im looking at private accommodation and wondered if there is any particular forum for students to meet and discuss house sharing?Thanks for your help in advance. B

Hey @BH&rv,

Thats awesome that you are coming to Reading! :smile:

Reading students union offer some advice on housing that you can read here. There are also some groups on facebook that people post accommodation into; the best one is called 'Find a housemate - Reading University Students Union'. If you search that up on facebook it should come up. In my opinion, thats the best way to find private accommodation and housemates.

Hope this helps! Good luck, I hope to see you on campus in September.

Daisy
Hello, I am an undergraduate student from abroad who will stay at one of the halls for my first year. I am having difficulties choosing a hall since I am not sure which is better in terms of prices, and if the catered halls are worth it. Could you please help me see between the two options? Thank you in advance
Original post by osenatore
Hello, I am an undergraduate student from abroad who will stay at one of the halls for my first year. I am having difficulties choosing a hall since I am not sure which is better in terms of prices, and if the catered halls are worth it. Could you please help me see between the two options? Thank you in advance

Hi @osenatore

Great to hear you'll be joining us at Reading!

Have you had a look at the hall options yet? If so, have you got a couple that you are trying to decide between, or are you completely unsure altogether? It's a big decision and there's so many options, so it's totally understandable to find it difficult to choose!
If you haven't yet looked, we have lots of virtual tours on our website here: Accommodation Page

I have just finished my first year and stayed in Bridges Halls, which is self-catered and has shared bathrooms. There were ten of us in my flat and 3 bathrooms, so we worked it out around 3 people per bathroom and it worked really well! Bridges is the most modern hall on campus and is the other side of the centre of the Whiteknights campus, just across the lake (which sounds like far away, but it's not in real life, and you get a pretty walk too!). I loved it there, and for me it was the most sensible in terms of cost too, as ensuite rooms are more expensive.
Catered halls range in price, and it does mean you don't have to do loads of shopping for yourself as you get money every week on a card to buy your meals, meaning you don't need to put any money aside for food. So in the long run, this may save you a bit of money and the stress of cooking! Having said that, it's a great opportunity to get to know your flatmates and develop your independence/cooking skills by having to cook for yourself, and as long as you budget your money well, this is a very sustainable option too!

So, in terms of whether or not to go for catered or self-catered, this is probably going to be mainly down to personal preference. I have friends who have stayed in both types of halls and all have them have loved each experience.
Your options are slightly more limited if you want to choose catered accommodation, just because there are fewer halls which provide this, however all of them are equally lovely.
Our catered halls include (price lowest -highest):
St Patrick's Hall
Wantage Hall
Windsor Hall
Dunsden Crescent Hall (only en-suites available)

All of the above have a big range in price, and a lot of different options to choose from i.e. whether or not you want shared bathrooms, etc. so prices vary, but for the standard room, St Patrick's is the cheapest - and is actually one of, if not the, cheapest accommodation at Reading, and is beautiful!
You will get money every week on a card which you can use in any of our on-site eating outlets to get your meals every day, and this will be topped up weekly for you - you don't have to do anything!

Self-catered options range in price too, depending on the type of room you want, but all of the rooms are lovely, so if you want a standard room the cheapest options are:
St Patrick's Hall
Wessex Hall

There are plenty of other options though, so it totally depends on what kind of room you are looking for and what your price range is.
Do you have any specific requirements? This may help narrow it down. This could include: wanting en-suite or shared bathrooms, wanting catered or self-catered, where you want to be (on campus or off campus, distance from your subject buildings), wanting a washbasin in your room, how many people you would like to be in a flat with, and so on.

Please do let us know if we can advise you more on your specific requirements!

Good luck - we're looking forward to welcoming you!:smile:

Skye
1st Year Speech and Language Therapy Student & Student Ambassador
Reply 29
Hi, I've booked my place in one of the halls and have booked my arrival time. It's all been confirmed. I haven't been told my room number. When will I find out the room number? Thank you.
Original post by CelB
Hi, I've booked my place in one of the halls and have booked my arrival time. It's all been confirmed. I haven't been told my room number. When will I find out the room number? Thank you.

Hey @CelB,

It's great to hear you're coming to Reading!

Unfortunately, as I am not part of the accommodation team I am not sure. I would recommend emailing them here [email protected] to find out more.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
From,

Amina 😊
4th year pharmacy student
Reply 31
Hey @CelB,

It's great to hear you're coming to Reading!

Unfortunately, as I am not part of the accommodation team I am not sure. I would recommend emailing them here [email protected] to find out more.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
From,

Amina 😊
4th year pharmacy student

No worries. I found out now. Thank you.
I can't decide which hall is suitable for me! I would like an catered hall with en-suite . Think its only Dunsden crescent and its seems a bit worn out . There are not much pictures online about the hall. Anyone have a idea please!
Original post by Shirley2004
I can't decide which hall is suitable for me! I would like an catered hall with en-suite . Think its only Dunsden crescent and its seems a bit worn out . There are not much pictures online about the hall. Anyone have a idea please!

Hey @Shirley2004,

Great to hear you are coming to Reading! :smile:

It's up to you really - I personally didn't stay in Dunsden so I can't comment on that one. In my first year I stayed in Childs Hall, which is one of three premium en-suite halls and I loved it! Whilst it is self catered, the rooms are lovely and modern with a double bed and en-suite. The kitchens are modern too which I really liked!

If you are after a modern en-suite room I would suggest going for premium en-suite as these are definitely the most modern. There are lots of options for you to eat on campus even if you are in a self-catered halls; you can still buy meal plans etc! You can take a look at these meal plans here - you are able to get these no matter what halls you are in, so this might be an option to consider!

However, here at Reading, all of the halls are lovely and you will be happy wherever you end up! I have friends in catered halls and they all love it and say that its a really nice atmosphere.

Good luck with choosing! If you have any more questions or want any more guidance then please let me know and I will do my best to help! Hope this has been helpful for you :smile:

Daisy
3rd year politics and international relations student
Hey guys,

I'm a current third-year pharmacy student who spent 2 years in Wantage Halls and really enjoyed it! I
It's picturesque, catered only accommodation which I found really convenient for myself! Every week you get money put onto your campus card which you can use at various cafes and restaurants around campus and within Wantage's own catering. For me, this was really convenient as sometimes I would stay later in the library studying etc so being able to grab dinner and stay later worked great for myself. It also meant that I didn't have to worry about waking up early to make lunches for the day etc.

In addition to the perks of catering at Wantage, we also had Wantage bar which was directly inside of Wantage. I really enjoyed this for chill nights with my friends. It allowed me to have a bit of a break from work with my friends without having to go too far. It also has Wantage's unique drink - a Sheepsdip!

I have so many fond memories of Wantage and met so many friends from there! If you would like to know more about Wantage Halls (or any of the other halls at Reading Uni) have a look here.

Hope this helps anyone currently thinking about what accommodation to chose at Reading Uni and if you have any questions feel free to let us know!😊
From,

Amina

This is really helpful! I have applied to Wantage as my first choice and I'm really hoping I get offered it! Have only found 2 other people who will be staying there so far (FB group) but it's really great to hear someone's opinion on it!
Original post by salutstudy
This is really helpful! I have applied to Wantage as my first choice and I'm really hoping I get offered it! Have only found 2 other people who will be staying there so far (FB group) but it's really great to hear someone's opinion on it!

Which Facebook group are you talking about?
I'm a pharmacy student who lived in a studio in St Georges hall last year and was looking to do the same this year, however it seems that all places have been filled up as i applied late. The accommodation team advised I look online for anyone who is looking for a replacement student who is looking to take over their accepted contract, so here I am. If anyone has a studio in halls and is looking to give it up, please message me! I am willing to pay if needs be, everything can be discussed, just get in touch. The reason I really want to live in halls is because I need to be close to the library and the uni in general.
Hi

I’m just applying for accommodation and it seems like there have been a lot of rooms allocated already? E.g. looking at St George’s there are no en-suite rooms available, Sherfield only has quiet rooms available. Have I disadvantaged myself by not applying earlier?
Original post by BeckySharp
Hi

I’m just applying for accommodation and it seems like there have been a lot of rooms allocated already? E.g. looking at St George’s there are no en-suite rooms available, Sherfield only has quiet rooms available. Have I disadvantaged myself by not applying earlier?

Hi @BeckySharp!

First of all, congratulations on getting an offer to study at Reading!

Accommodation has been open to bookings since February, but provided you have Reading as your Firm UCAS choice and apply for accommodation by 1 August (plus meet your academic offer by 7 September), you will be guaranteed a place in halls - hopefully this helps to reassure you slightly!

I've done a bit of digging and found the Accommodation Policy for 2022/3, which outlines the priority order of allocation of rooms and offers. Disabled students, who have registered with the University Disability Advisory Service, will be prioritised for specific rooms, as well as under 18s (due to restrictions on privately-rented accommodation). The University's room allocation system will then generate the next offer matched as closely as possibly to student preferences. Our Halls team work really hard to allocate rooms as fairly as possible, and you have up to 5 choices to rank your preference, so hopefully you'll be able to get something as closely aligned to your preferences as possible!

I'd really recommend getting in touch with our accommodation team directly if you have any concerns - they're a really lovely bunch and are always keen to help students out! Their email address is [email protected] :smile:

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Lottie
GRTUK and Reading alumna
Reply 39
Hi guys!
I'm having some trouble with my accommodation in terms of needing to change my arrival date from Friday 16th to Saturday 17th (I've emailed the accommodation team already) but am worried by the time they reply/change it a lot of parking availability will be gone.
I'm not sure if i should just go with the Friday which would be more difficult or wait for them to come back to me?

Thanks a bunch!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending