The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
The_Lonely_Goatherd
If only! :biggrin:

:rofl:
Reply 81
Sanjetti
OP can you tell me if I have a good chance? I want an opinion from an objective person...

GCSEs: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*

AS:
Further maths (300/300)
Biology (300/300) + AEA distinction
Chemistry (285/300)- grrr RETAKE!
Latin (279/300)- Panicked in the exam- RETAKE!

A2: Maths (595/600)

What I'm really worried about are my Latin and Chemistry marks, do you think it'll hinder my chances?

Your life may as well be over! absolute no hoper here, you will fail life...and where's the other 10 AS'?? LOL
Let's not use TSR to moan about how you're all failing when you know perfectly well you're not and you just want recognition!! achhhhh
Reply 82
vicyvix
Your life may as well be over! absolute no hoper here, you will fail life...and where's the other 10 AS'?? LOL
Let's not use TSR to moan about how you're all failing when you know perfectly well you're not and you just want recognition!! achhhhh

:p:

(Btw I was joking, and was trying to mock the OP :ninja:. My actual grades are nowhere near as good)
lool u peps r right :frown: i do sound like a bit of a prick. My bad.
but i do feel so disadvantaged! going to a bloody comprehensive. its not fair!
and u can say that i will gain advantage from my crap education - but its not true

if you have money you have more chance of getting into oxbridge. Plus i have done lots of research into the course! but its the uni i love more than anything :frown: id do anything to get in....

btw: on a more silly retarded note! wat does OP mean :s-smilie:??
sanjette LOL! u need to bare get some YUMS!

http://www.yumsshoes.com/

YAAAHH!
Reply 85
adilmorrison
Noooooooooo... Try Brookes.

:ditto: It's your only hope. No other university would even consider looking at your application without spontaneously combusting.

"No you won't get in" is the answer you were hoping for, OP. So there you have it :rolleyes:
vahluwalia1
and u can say that i will gain advantage from my crap education - but its not true

if you have money you have more chance of getting into oxbridge. Plus i have done lots of research into the course! but its the uni i love more than anything :frown: id do anything to get in....

You can shut the **** up about that as well. If you had done your research (or ever dipped into a national newspaper) you would know that you're actually more likely to get in coming from a state school than I am, coming from a private school, due to social engineering and the like. It drives me insane that even if I have better grades than someone, I might not get an offer because they come from a state school. You obviously haven't had a 'crap' education or you wouldn't have a string of 'A's.
Reply 87
vahluwalia1

I wouldn't worry about it OP, but please think before you post. I don't know if you were being serious, but you feel disadvantaged with 7 A*s. Honestly, what was the average GCSE result(s) at your school?

OP=Original poster (I think)
God, I come across as extremely angry! :s-smilie: guess the whole private/state divide is something I feel strongly about.
Reply 89
Sanjetti
:p:

(Btw I was joking, and was trying to mock the OP :ninja:. My actual grades are nowhere near as good)

aaaahhhhh good, didn't catch on there! hehe
7A*s was very good for my school. But I have a lot of family and family friends who all go to independant schools: even eton :s-smilie: and they get like 10A*s or 14A*s :s-smilie: and laugh at me and my state school education!
i also feel strongly about the system serrellen - wat kinda school do u go to? private i take it! if so go to a comprehensive for a month; see the change in spoon feeding!

We state schoolers battle into life, u private folk walk

:P!
vahluwalia1

i know the stories of dudes with a million A*s and 10A's at A level, they obviously have no potential and are just dudes who learn facts and don't apply! i hate those people.

Oxford knows this how? Sounds like someone's jealous. Btw, how do you 'learn facts' in a subject like math?
God, not another one of these threads...
Reply 93
vahluwalia1
7A*s was very good for my school. But I have a lot of family and family friends who all go to independant schools: even eton :s-smilie: and they get like 10A*s or 14A*s :s-smilie: and laugh at me and my state school education!
i also feel strongly about the system serrellen - wat kinda school do u go to? private i take it! if so go to a comprehensive for a month; see the change in spoon feeding!

Oh here we go...listen, if state schools conferred no good teaching, you would not be sitting there with 7 A*s. Oxford will NOT disadvantage you for coming from a state school, not least because their admissions process has to be completely transparent on account of all the scrutiny under. In fact the split of private and state is more or less 50:50. Don't be bitter about not going to a private school because in the end, it doesn't make you a better person.
vahluwalia1

This kind of thing makes me very angry. I don't go to anything anywhere near Eton; my family weren't well off and my parents both went to old-style grammar schools after passing the 11+. I do go to a private school but I have a scholarship which gets rid of half the cost (couldn't have afforded it otherwise). I went to state primaries until I was thirteen and my sister goes to a state - didn't get the scholarship. None of my family goes to private school except me. It sounds like you come from a wealthier background than I do - I dont even know anyone that goes to Eton, let alone are related to them...

Besides all these mitigating factors, you don't seem to comprehend that you are ADVANTAGED by having a state education. Universities will prefer it because they will have this view that I have 'walked' into success, as if I didn't ever have to do any work at all. Personally I think it should be about the end result rather than your upbringing, but that's just me. You seem to have come out of a "crap" comprehensive with an impressive toff spirit though, so I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.
serrellen
You can shut the **** up about that as well. If you had done your research (or ever dipped into a national newspaper) you would know that you're actually more likely to get in coming from a state school than I am, coming from a private school, due to social engineering and the like. It drives me insane that even if I have better grades than someone, I might not get an offer because they come from a state school. You obviously haven't had a 'crap' education or you wouldn't have a string of 'A's.

Dude, seriously. Oxford doesn't do the whole social engineering thing. At all. Why do you think Labour are always having a go at them?! :biggrin:

Tutors will not discriminate against you because you've come from a private school OR a state school. So you're wrong. Completely wrong. Can understand you've probs been told this by your friends/school/whoever and that it's not your fault for being wrong, but you're wrong :smile:

Btw, perfectly possible to get As with a crap education. My sister pretty much self-taught herself her 3 A2 subjects because the teachers were useless. Didn't stop her getting 3 As.

:smile:
Wat im saying is its possible to get A*s at GCSE without understanding a subject at all and just learning facts, doing every single possible past paper!
its silly!
the number of A*s u get boils down to really how hard u work not how clever u r

As for A levels, well yes im wrong loL! u need to understand it. but as many people said, oxford look for potential and the ability to think outside the box :s-smilie:

makes all tht hard work seem so ****! system = messed up!
Reply 97
vahluwalia1

I go to a private school, I am definitely not spoon fed. I work as hard as I can because I have to, and I'll do that whether I'm in a comprehensive or at Eton. I have been to a state school, in Sri Lanka of all places, for 3 years. There is a difference, but not enough to stop the most determined of people. For example, it didn't stop you from getting good GCSEs!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Dude, seriously. Oxford doesn't do the whole social engineering thing. At all. Why do you think Labour are always having a go at them?! :biggrin:

Tutors will not discriminate against you because you've come from a private school OR a state school. So you're wrong. Completely wrong. Can understand you've probs been told this by your friends/school/whoever and that it's not your fault for being wrong, but you're wrong :smile:

Btw, perfectly possible to get As with a crap education. My sister pretty much self-taught herself her 3 A2 subjects because the teachers were useless. Didn't stop her getting 3 As.

:smile:

I did remember as I wrote it that Oxbridge has less of a reputation for this. But to say that I'm 'completely wrong' is just, well, completely wrong. Bristol is very well known for being pretty much anti-private schools (in fact, our school has such a low success rate there we're advised not to apply). If you look at the Bristol website they admit to social engineering.
serrellen

Besides all these mitigating factors, you don't seem to comprehend that you are ADVANTAGED by having a state education. Universities will prefer it

erm.... I don't think so.

Oxford accepted 53% state school and 47% private....

Latest

Trending

Trending