The Student Room Group

Computer Science at Oxford

At the moment, I'm predicted to meet Oxford's entry requirements for Computer Science, but there's only a 5% acceptence rate. I'm still not entirely sure I even want to go to uni, but my school's making everyone apply just in case. Is it worth applying there as if I do go to uni, I would prefer to commute, and oxford's only a 30 minute drive from my house, but I've heard there's a lot more work and pressure than other unis
Original post by Amy.fallowfield
At the moment, I'm predicted to meet Oxford's entry requirements for Computer Science, but there's only a 5% acceptence rate. I'm still not entirely sure I even want to go to uni, but my school's making everyone apply just in case. Is it worth applying there as if I do go to uni, I would prefer to commute, and oxford's only a 30 minute drive from my house, but I've heard there's a lot more work and pressure than other unis

note: you must live within 25 miles of Carfax Tower [1] if you want to commute. 30 minutes could easily be within that but it's a bit borderline so it might be good to check :smile:

[1]: ox.ac.uk
Original post by vapordave
note: you must live within 25 miles of Carfax Tower [1] if you want to commute. 30 minutes could easily be within that but it's a bit borderline so it might be good to check :smile:

[1]: ox.ac.uk

I just checked, I'm 33 miles away from that. I would ideally like to stay at home, so I guess is it worth having to move out on top of the extra pressure worth it to go to Oxford
I just checked, I'm 33 miles away from that. I would ideally like to stay at home, so I guess is it worth having to move out on top of the extra pressure worth it to go to Oxford

it depends: is there any particular reason you want to go to Oxford? if you'd like to give it a shot, you could apply then decide whether you'd like to accept a potential offer later.
Original post by vapordave
it depends: is there any particular reason you want to go to Oxford? if you'd like to give it a shot, you could apply then decide whether you'd like to accept a potential offer later.

Not really. As I said, I'm not sure I even want to go to uni but I have to apply just in case. I just know it's supposed to be one of the best and I thought it was local enough to commute to
Reply 5
Not really. As I said, I'm not sure I even want to go to uni but I have to apply just in case. I just know it's supposed to be one of the best and I thought it was local enough to commute to

What about Brookes then? You could also do a year in industry ...
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Muttley79
What about Brookes then? You could also do a year in industry ...

I have looked into that aswell, but the entry requirements are BCC and im predicted way higher than that

As above, per the Oxford regulations you need to reside within the city. So commuting isn't really an option for Oxford.

You can always apply anyway and then decide if you want to go to uni in the end afterwards (in which case you would need to ordinarily make plans to live in college during term times).

Something to remember though is that Oxford has shorter terms than other unis (3x 8 week terms) with longer breaks between them, and you normally do not reside in Oxford out of term (in fact I think most colleges kick all the students out between terms normally!).
Reply 8
I have looked into that aswell, but the entry requirements are BCC and im predicted way higher than that

And? Many students apply to unis with lower grade requirements - it means little. CS is far better at newer unis.
Reply 9
Yeah the 5% acceptance rate is scary, but you don't lose anything from applying. I was very close to not applying (my head of sixth form had to convince me) but I did, and I ended up getting an offer. Even if you don't get an offer, the applications process is an experience you would learn a lot from. And if you do get an offer, you can always decline it in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending