The Student Room Group

Short film ideas for one person in one location

Hi, i have to create 6-10min short film or my school. The problem is that i can't think of any ideas of what the story should be. So i came here to ask for your help. If i could make everything with couple of people that would be easier, but the problem is that i am completely alone, i have to come up with an idea, setup everything, act and record and i can only do it in my house ( preferably in my room only ).

The setting up, acting, filming and editing part will probably be no problem, the real problem is the idea of what the story should be. I watched some solo sort films on youtube, but i didn't find any that meets my requirements so i am left with nothing.

I would really appreciate your help if some of you could think of what can this short film be about. I will write my requirements in which i will be able to film, so that i can be at least some help in this idea.
-Only one person doing everything
-One location ( bedroom would be perfect but i can use kitchen, bathroom, stairwell too)
-Props should be findable in any common house, nothing too special. (I will update this list if i think of anything )

If not quarantine, everything would be much easier but now i have to work with what i wrote for you. I don't ask to write step by step script because i will have to draw storyboard of every shot i take and of course it probably would be too much for you to do for unfamiliar person (unless you already did something similar to this and wouldn't mind giving me that script, or some parts of it). So i just need the main idea for the story, how it starts, some idea of how it should unwrap itself, and the ending. And also by my teachers request that the ending should be surprising in some way ( for example - you traveled to castle in 1400 to fight with knights and dragons, and in the end you wake up and realize that all of it was a dream).

So I'm hoping that i can get any help here and i would be very grateful for the help, thanks for your time :smile:
i know this is kinda predictable but something online? like pretending to be someone else or like making friends with a ghost or sum.
Sorry these are shite ideas but the only ones i could think of
Maybe you can do a 10min cooking show? lmao
I don't know about you but I think the easiest and most fun genre to make something is horror/thriller. If I was making a short film I'd pick a feeling or a theme like 'Paranoia' and I'd have the main character just in their house maybe in the kitchen or something just washing dishes and everything seems normal but then the main character looks out of the window like they just saw something outside and they open the back door to like look out but there's nothing there. And then basically little things like that keep happening throughout while you build suspense. And here's where the double twist comes in, towards the end it turns out that the thing making noise outside was just something normal like a cat (idk if you have access to any pets or animals but you could probs think of something that isn't that big of a deal that makes noise). And the the climax is finished and the calm is being restored and the audience is like phew, but then the main character turns around to go back inside and there's a person or something just standing there and then it just cuts to black.
Perhaps something in French for Mothering Sunday
Original post by KarolYnasZ
Hi, i have to create 6-10min short film or my school. The problem is that i can't think of any ideas of what the story should be. So i came here to ask for your help. If i could make everything with couple of people that would be easier, but the problem is that i am completely alone, i have to come up with an idea, setup everything, act and record and i can only do it in my house ( preferably in my room only ).

The setting up, acting, filming and editing part will probably be no problem, the real problem is the idea of what the story should be. I watched some solo sort films on youtube, but i didn't find any that meets my requirements so i am left with nothing.

I would really appreciate your help if some of you could think of what can this short film be about. I will write my requirements in which i will be able to film, so that i can be at least some help in this idea.
-Only one person doing everything
-One location ( bedroom would be perfect but i can use kitchen, bathroom, stairwell too)
-Props should be findable in any common house, nothing too special. (I will update this list if i think of anything )

If not quarantine, everything would be much easier but now i have to work with what i wrote for you. I don't ask to write step by step script because i will have to draw storyboard of every shot i take and of course it probably would be too much for you to do for unfamiliar person (unless you already did something similar to this and wouldn't mind giving me that script, or some parts of it). So i just need the main idea for the story, how it starts, some idea of how it should unwrap itself, and the ending. And also by my teachers request that the ending should be surprising in some way ( for example - you traveled to castle in 1400 to fight with knights and dragons, and in the end you wake up and realize that all of it was a dream).

So I'm hoping that i can get any help here and i would be very grateful for the help, thanks for your time :smile:

Do a short film about your future self came to talk to you ,ended up very dark and deep.(be it suspense and emotional)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending