The Student Room Group

Film portfolio

I have just started my a levels and I am wanting to work on and develop a film portfolio. I don't take film as a subject as it wasn't available for me and so haven't got any experience in film yet but I need to build a film portfolio so I can start applying for universities and apprenticeships. So, does anyone have any advice on where to start, what experiences should I do to develop my skills, what projects should I try to do?
What projects are you interested in doing?

You don’t have to make entire films. You can put together treatments or samples of scripts, storyboards showing how you might film a scene, set/production design moodboards etc etc as well as developing some of your ideas into filmed footage or trailers.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
What projects are you interested in doing?
You don’t have to make entire films. You can put together treatments or samples of scripts, storyboards showing how you might film a scene, set/production design moodboards etc etc as well as developing some of your ideas into filmed footage or trailers.

I'm not really sure what projects I am interested in as I've never really done one before. Thank you for the advice.
What equipment do you recommend to get when wanting to start small projects?
Original post by nellgraham
I'm not really sure what projects I am interested in as I've never really done one before. Thank you for the advice.
What equipment do you recommend to get when wanting to start small projects?

Generally - I wouldn’t recommend spending anything on equipment other than a tripod/holder that you can mount a phone on maybe microphones and some led lights depending on the sorts of things you end up filming. Admissions staff don’t expect applicants to be using high end equipment, they’re more interested in your industry awareness, creativity and ideas.

Keep a journal of possible short film ideas (even if it’s things like remaking existing content from a different perspective).

If you don’t already then listen to film focusing podcasts and documentaries. See if your library rents out dvds/bluerays with director commentaries and bts content as added extras.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending