The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Best accommodation at sussex ?

I've firmed my unconditional offer for Sussex this year and I need to start thinking about what accommodation to choose - if anyone has any knowledge, tips, or advice it would be much appreciated!
Original post by Simixx
I've firmed my unconditional offer for Sussex this year and I need to start thinking about what accommodation to choose - if anyone has any knowledge, tips, or advice it would be much appreciated!

Hello,

Are you looking for on-campus accommodation or off-campus accommodation?

For on-campus accommodation, the Housing Guide details the accommodation offered on campus and more information about how to apply, and where you can get additional residential and housing support.

With off-campus accommodation, I recommend joining Facebook groups for house hunting.

The University of Sussex has an official Facebook group for this called University of Sussex House Hunt run by the Housing Office where you can post adverts for what you are looking for and connect with others who are searching for housemates and flats.

Housing Services also offers free one-to-one advice and can help you look for student houses and rooms.
You can contact them at [email protected] or call +44 (0)1273 678220.

Kind Regards,
Erica (3rd Year BSc Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by Simixx

Hi there :smile: To add to my colleague Erica's reply, I have lived both on and off campus and so can provide some insight on both!

I definitely recommend a few criteria to look out for when choosing on campus accommodation. When I was applying to uni, I was personally quite keen to have an en-suite so I put emphasis on this. For some people this is quite important but for others not so much, so this one's more of a personal decision.

Distance to lecture buildings / the library / campus facilities like the post office and co-op is another thing to consider. Halls such as Swanborough and East Slope are very central and you could only be a few mins away from your lectures which is very convenient. The central location does mean however that it'd be a bit more noisy here than say Northfield, which is about a 5-10 min walk away from lecture buildings but it does have a calmer atmosphere from my experience (this is where I lived in 1st year) which can make it a bit easier to concentrate on studies for example. Stanmer Court is also a great choice as it's right next to the Falmer train station and bus stop, so going to town is very easy and convenient from here. Brighthelm is another great option as you're provided with your own laundry facilities and these residences are more like traditional houses rather than halls, which some people really like. People do usually enjoy their time at uni regardless of which accommodation they stay in, but different residences do have their own slight perks so this is definitely something to look out for.

Finally with regards to on campus accommodation, price is of course a very key factor in the decision making process as well. The prices do vary across the different options and understandably the en-suite and more newly developed options do tend to be more expensive so this is something to be conscious of as well.

Most of the above also apply to looking for housing off campus as well, regarding the points on price and distance to uni / local supermarkets. Public transport links are something to look out for too when living off campus. I'm happy to elaborate on this further but I assume you're talking about on campus accommodation so wanted to focus more on that. :smile: Do correct me if I'm wrong though!

I hope this response has helped but if you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

- Isthiak (BA History with Proficiency in Arabic, with a Professional Placement Year)
Reply 3
Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps
Hi there :smile: To add to my colleague Erica's reply, I have lived both on and off campus and so can provide some insight on both!

I definitely recommend a few criteria to look out for when choosing on campus accommodation. When I was applying to uni, I was personally quite keen to have an en-suite so I put emphasis on this. For some people this is quite important but for others not so much, so this one's more of a personal decision.

Distance to lecture buildings / the library / campus facilities like the post office and co-op is another thing to consider. Halls such as Swanborough and East Slope are very central and you could only be a few mins away from your lectures which is very convenient. The central location does mean however that it'd be a bit more noisy here than say Northfield, which is about a 5-10 min walk away from lecture buildings but it does have a calmer atmosphere from my experience (this is where I lived in 1st year) which can make it a bit easier to concentrate on studies for example. Stanmer Court is also a great choice as it's right next to the Falmer train station and bus stop, so going to town is very easy and convenient from here. Brighthelm is another great option as you're provided with your own laundry facilities and these residences are more like traditional houses rather than halls, which some people really like. People do usually enjoy their time at uni regardless of which accommodation they stay in, but different residences do have their own slight perks so this is definitely something to look out for.

Finally with regards to on campus accommodation, price is of course a very key factor in the decision making process as well. The prices do vary across the different options and understandably the en-suite and more newly developed options do tend to be more expensive so this is something to be conscious of as well.

Most of the above also apply to looking for housing off campus as well, regarding the points on price and distance to uni / local supermarkets. Public transport links are something to look out for too when living off campus. I'm happy to elaborate on this further but I assume you're talking about on campus accommodation so wanted to focus more on that. :smile: Do correct me if I'm wrong though!

I hope this response has helped but if you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

- Isthiak (BA History with Proficiency in Arabic, with a Professional Placement Year)

Thank you so much, that information was really helpful! Yes, I'm looking at on-campus accommodation (preferably en suite) and definitely leaning towards East Slope and Northfield the most.
Original post by Simixx
Thank you so much, that information was really helpful! Yes, I'm looking at on-campus accommodation (preferably en suite) and definitely leaning towards East Slope and Northfield the most.

No worries! East Slope and Northfield are great options and you'd definitely enjoy living in either of them :smile: I can speak from experience that Northfield is a really nice accommodation to live in and East Slope is very good too. One of my friends lived there for 2 years and whenever I visited I always enjoyed my stay.

All the best with the rest of the year!

Isthiak
Original post by Simixx

Hello, thank you for your question.

Just adding to what my colleagues have already said, I would say that for me living in Lewes Court (en-suite) this year, has been a better experience, than living in Northfield (for first couple of years). I found that the Lewes Court's rooms are more spacious than Northfield ones, despite the price being lower. On the other hand, the bathroom is smaller than Northfield's one. For me it has not been a problem, but it might be a factor worth considering. In terms of the room decor, you get a bit more of wardrobe space in Lewes Court than in Northfield, equally large desk and a similar amount of storage space. Of course no matter what accommodation you choose, I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy living on campus!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions .

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad).
I too have an unconditional offer from Sussex that I am almost certain I will firm. I’m probably going to move into scape as I know people there who absolutely love it, and having dropped out of uni this year for several reasons, I have experience living in halls and would rather commute or pay more for scape than do that again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending