The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

kadhumia_flo
I do think it should be easier for employees to differentiate medical graduates, for example by having more varied degrees other than merit and pass, but I don't think the university you graduated from should have any impact on an employees choice so the NHS has rightly stopped any prejudice from occurring.
Employers for UKFPO do have more information in the form of the quartile you are qualifying in. After this point the actual marks from medical school become worthless.

The medical school you graduate from has very little effect on the quality of doctor at the end. All that making prospective employers aware of the school does is bring in the old boys network- something that I personally believe we are far better off without
Reply 61
River85

The cries of discrimination were even more absurd as the admissions tutor was both school educated and (I think) from the region.

The admissions tutor involved is my friends dad! Two of the 4 selected were state school - apparently she interviewed really poorly...

Ms Spence is currently on the GEP programme at Cambridge...
Reply 62
kadhumia_flo
Hey

I was just wondering if going to a more prestigious university makes a difference when applying to be a doctor (perhaps in a competitive speciality). Is a second (or first) honours degree given the same credit whatever the uni.

Thanks

From all the previous posts you've probably gathered that employers are not going to discriminate against anyone because of their university. But what's also important to note is that though it may not directly make a difference, it porbably does indirectly (I know all medical schools have certain minimum standards and requirements, but certain unis seem to expect more from their students than others, and if you are taught and trained better at med school, then you probably will be at an advantage when applying to be a doctor).
Reply 63
Fluffy
The admissions tutor involved is my friends dad! Two of the 4 selected were state school - apparently she interviewed really poorly...

Ms Spence is currently on the GEP programme at Cambridge...

Not any more - barring some catastrophe I'm unaware of, she graduated in the summer. I could go and check the pass list, which is still up in the clinical school, but that would be a bit sad...

And I'm not getting into the rest of the can of worms. :p:
jismith1989
I have no knowledge on this, but it does seem quite patent that an Oxbridge medicine degree, for example, would be considered higher than a University of Gloucester one; doesn't it? :curious:

Evidently so, for there is no medical school in Gloucester.
Chrisateen
Also I thought you are garanteed a job if you get into medical school so therefore it doesn't matter

Lol!!!
imtired
are there any differences in difficulty between medicine courses? if all medicine degrees are equal when applying to be a doctor, but the courses aren't... entry requirements are different... i'm not applying for medicine but wouldn't most people go for an 'easier' course, and will still be able to become doctors?

What, like the difference between AAA and AAB offers?
Reply 67
marlyly
(I know all medical schools have certain minimum standards and requirements, but certain unis seem to expect more from their students than others, and if you are taught and trained better at med school, then you probably will be at an advantage when applying to be a doctor).
It probably does, but not necessarily the way you think;

Doctors from the old skool skools did knew less in their second year post-qual than from the new skool skools - why? :wink:

When it was 'measured' in 2000 (or was it 01?), which medical school produced the best junior doctors according to the GMC? Was it Oxford, Cambridge or some PBL based ******** in East London?
Reply 68
Vaz, if you're worried about being 'censored', don't. When it comes to applying for foundation jobs, very few people are going to have a BA as opposed to a BSc/BMedSci/etc. or nothing. Your precious Cambridge education will not be hidden from the world.
Reply 69
Renal
It probably does, but not necessarily the way you think;

Doctors from the old skool skools did knew less in their second year post-qual than from the new skool skools - why? :wink:

When it was 'measured' in 2000 (or was it 01?), which medical school produced the best junior doctors according to the GMC? Was it Oxford, Cambridge or some PBL based ******** in East London?

Where does MRCP performance fit in with your argument then? :P
Reply 70
visesh
Where does MRCP performance fit in with your argument then? :P
Hehe. That depends on whether the MRCP is a good marker of a doctors quality. :p:
Reply 71
Fluffy

& that cohort also had people from the north, females & ethnic minorities.
So as it happened, more total PC points than her anyway, if that was what mattered. :rolleyes:

They were a very strong bunch though so if any criticism is to be made perhaps it would be towards the old system where pooling between colleges was more ad hoc - whereas now everyone for medicine shortlisted is now interviewed at 2 places. But then Magdalen was/is always on of the big poolers anyway - they make it a selling point! So, meh...
Reply 72
Helenia
Not any more - barring some catastrophe I'm unaware of, she graduated in the summer. I could go and check the pass list, which is still up in the clinical school, but that would be a bit sad...

And I'm not getting into the rest of the can of worms. :p:

I thought she started the year after me, making her a finalist? Oh well...

Have to admit, I've always felt quite sorry for her. Well, that's if the rumour that it was her head of 6th forms "issue" and they used her to make their misplaced point is true. It must be difficult for her to gain respect/trust from the off - she must have to work wtice as hard as the rest of us at that, for fear of misplaced whistleblowing and story selling...
Reply 73
visesh
Vaz, if you're worried about being 'censored', don't. When it comes to applying for foundation jobs, very few people are going to have a BA as opposed to a BSc/BMedSci/etc. or nothing. Your precious Cambridge education will not be hidden from the world.

There are PLENTY of graduates studying medicine with non-OxBridge BAs though... i.e. of the arts degree type. Lots with arts type OxBridge BAs too...
Reply 74
Fluffy
There are PLENTY of graduates studying medicine with non-OxBridge BAs though... i.e. of the arts degree type. Lots with arts type OxBridge BAs too...

I was just trying to make him feel a little better :wink:
Alex D
This line is a contradiction in itself. There is a vast, vast difference between being one of the "very, very best prospective medical students at 18" and being one of the very, very best junior doctors at 23. I am 18 and, in an academic sense, not one of the very best prospective medics; I recently got ABB and hence failed to meet my offer and take up my place at med school. Does this mean I won't be a good doctor at 23? No.

I strongly agree.

Being an excellent candidate for med school at 18 with dazzling GCSEs and A Levels etc may refect well on you and demonstrate certain talents, however this does not necessarily correspond with being a better doctor than someone who didn't go to Cambridge.
Reply 76
visesh

aww cool, thanks lol :p:

but still, you know, as a principle of anti-censorship, I still feel we need to be able to write down how we did and where we did it - like i said, for better or for worse.
Reply 77
visesh
I was just trying to make him feel a little better :wink:

surely they're all older than 23 though :wink:

18 + 3 + 4 etc.
Reply 78
Vazzyb
surely they're all older than 23 though :wink:

18 + 3 + 4 etc.

Any you HAVE to start medicine at 18 then do you? We have plenty of fist time undergraduate matures...
Reply 79
no no i mean........if they saw if they saw a BA + graduated medical student who was 23 then theres no other combination other than oxbridge medicine, is there?

Latest

Trending

Trending