The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I guess not, but how many people would put THAT much effort in to over analysing one of a large volume of application forms?
just reading the last page - i recon if i ever qualify im gonna be in the 4th quartile - dos that make a difference to application to foundation school??
Reply 82
IIRC, the quartile is worth 6 (or 8?) points out of 100 on the form... Last year, something lke 97% of people from my uni managed to get their first choice.
Reply 83
At the moment:
1st quartile = 40 points
2nd quartile = 38 points
3rd quartile = 36 points
4th quartile = 34 points

There are then up to 5 points for past degrees (or intercalated) and 3 points for other academics (pulications, prizes, etc).

The rest is made up from the answers you give to the 7 questions, so don't worry - there's scope to make it up.
Reply 84
97% thats great! Doesn't everyone apply for the North West Thames though?
Reply 85
This sounds slightly arrogant - but why should 'first timers' be penalised for not having a previous degree?
Reply 86
Vazzyb
97% thats great! Doesn't everyone apply for the North West Thames though?

I think about half apply for East Anglia (which is undersubscribed so everyone who puts it first gets in), and the rest go elsewhere. NW Thames is most oversubscribed, but all the London ones are pretty popular - but most of our grads still got in. I will be going back to this and grumbling a lot if I don't make it this year though...

Regarding seeing where you're from, whilst having a BA will make it fairly obvious you're at Cambridge, the people marking your "white space" questions (worth 60% of the marks) will not see that section, apart from the ones marking the "academic achievements" question - every question is marked by a different set of assessors. Unless you mention a specific hospital or "captained my college boat club" in every question, they will not know. And tbh you would not be able to answer this year's white space questions answered any better because you went to Cambridge over anywhere else. So there's less chance they'll know where you're from and tbh I really don't think it matters at foundation level.
Reply 87
Wangers
This sounds slightly arrogant - but why should 'first timers' be penalised for not having a previous degree?

Why should people with other qualifications (be it intercalated or otherwise) not be given credit.

A few years back you only got 'extra points' if your degree or PhD was an intercalated part of your primary medicine qualification... Thankfully they realised that that situation was even more rediculous.

You can make up marks else where - there are people in my year who would score 3/3 for the other academics who haven't done a degree... Equally, I'm sure there are plenty of people who have got a degree who will get 0/3 for the other academics...
Reply 88
visesh
IIRC, the quartile is worth 6 (or 8?) points out of 100 on the form... Last year, something lke 97% of people from my uni managed to get their first choice.

With the exception of Imperial, I think most medical schools pulled that. Last year 98% of our grads got their first choice... Some would have applied to their parental home deanery, some would have (tried) to play the numbers game, others applied for NET...
Reply 89
I hope my London deanery remains one of the least popular...(out of the London ones that is).
Reply 90
What kind of percentage of the year intercalate at Barts?? A junior doctor I was with last week (he trained at St Georges) was saying that more than 80% of people intercalate in London as a whole... I know that its compulsory at Imperial but didn't think it as many did it at other schools?? He basically said that I don't have a chance of getting into NET (the area where my boyf works) without intercalating. :frown:
Reply 91
is there something really bad about intercalating?
Reply 92
ahh ok - does it also mean an extra year at university?
Sarky
I hope my London deanery remains one of the least popular...(out of the London ones that is).
is it me or is your avatar spinning faster these days.
*tink*
What kind of percentage of the year intercalate at Barts?? A junior doctor I was with last week (he trained at St Georges) was saying that more than 80% of people intercalate in London as a whole... I know that its compulsory at Imperial but didn't think it as many did it at other schools?? He basically said that I don't have a chance of getting into NET (the area where my boyf works) without intercalating. :frown:
I think he's wrong, I know loads of people in NET who haven't intercalated. Up until this year at least it tends to be Barts students who apply here and far less than 80% have intercalated degrees.

However current rumours suggest that Imperial etc are being encouraged to apply NET and less popular London deanaries so they have a higher chance of selection, so this may change
Reply 95
Vazzyb
ahh ok - does it also mean an extra year at university?

Well at Cambridge it's compulsory, so not really (given you signed up for 6 anyway). But elsewhere, yes, you would need to take an extra year for an intercalated degree.
Reply 96
*tink*
He basically said that I don't have a chance of getting into NET (the area where my boyf works) without intercalating. :frown:

Not true - not true for anywhere really. I guess 99% of intercalators will get a somewhere between a 2.2 and a 1, so 3 - 5 UKFO points... You can make those up with a stellar question part of the form or with the 3 points for other academics.

It might become more relevant for ST training though, but IMHO if you get a choice re: to intercalate or not then do so at masters level (during if you can, else after)...
Reply 97
ThePenguinMafia

:eek: :eek: :eek: I think you're right!!! :yep: :yep:
Reply 98
ThePenguinMafia

Can't say i've noticed. Maybe its reacting to the turbulance in my life at present. :s-smilie:
Reply 99
Fluffy
:eek: :eek: :eek: I think you're right!!! :yep: :yep:

Whats gonna happen to me if it stops spinning? :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending