The Student Room Group

Should I study in Edinburgh?

Hi, I am thinking of choosing to study in Scotland. I live in the South of England. Would love to know what people think of Edinburgh as a student city? Is it better than cities in England?
Hiya, I see that you posted this a little while ago but I thought I would answer anyway. I study in Edinburgh and am originally from England. I don't think it's too useful to say that Edinburgh is exclusively better than cities in England as that's a bit of a broad statement! It really depends on what you want out of your uni experience. Different people want different things - for example, I would never want to study in London, whereas other people can't wait to go their for their uni experience.

Edinburgh is definitely a great place to be a student. There are so many universities in the area that there are loads of students here so there is a very good atmosphere even though it's a city. Where you are based in the city obviously depends on which university you want to go to, but even then there's a lot to do and everything can be accessed pretty well. There are plenty of different clubs if you're into that, there's loads of things to see as a 'tourist' and there are a number of pretty good job opportunities out and about, especially at Christmas or in the summer due to the festivals.

Aside from that, it's a very pretty city with lots of nice buildings and open spaces. And the Highlands are very accessible if you wanted to take day trips, as well as the other cities in Scotland.

I am absolutely glad that I chose to study in Scotland as a whole too because it is just a nice place to be. It is obviously a different experience to England though due to the different degree structure (4 vs 3 years etc). I would absolutely recommend studying in Scotland to anyone and I would recommend living in Edinburgh to anyone too! I plan on staying here for a long time to come after my degree is finished.
I have not studied there but visited for the Festival Fringe, which has the bonus of paid work for students who are there in the summer.

Quick Reply

Latest