The Student Room Group
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

My unusual application circumstance

Hi there,

I'm a 23 year old prospective student who's applied to go to university in September 2021. It's been over two months since I've applied, and I haven't had a reply yet - I have rather unusual application circumstances, and I'd love some feedback on how realistic my chances of getting in are. I still have the original application as well as UCAS extra and clearing to go through.

I wanted to go to Bath Spa university to study creative writing, so I applied to five different branches of the same course there. That's how much I wanted to get in. Since then, I've learnt that apparently applying five times to the same university might not have been the wisest choice, but I digress.

In terms of purely academic qualifications, I don't have an A level in the relevant subject; instead, I have an M & MPP in L2/L3 creative digital media courses I did from 2014-2017. I did get an A in an English iGCSE I did when I was 13 (I was home educated) but I'm not sure if that's worth much here. I did all my GCSE's before I was 15, with mixed results.

I was hoping my life experience would make me an interesting enough candidate that I wouldn't have to take a year off to do the A Level. Since leaving college I've renovated a house, started my own business and written a 120k word novel which is currently in it's second draft.

What are my chances of getting into a creative writing degree this year?
Any feedback would be sincerely appreciated.
Thank you in advance, best regards -
IQ
Reply 1
Why not call/ email Bath Spa and ask? Also look for and foundation years which might suit.
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
I agree that 5 applications to variations of the same course at the same Uni was unwise but you seem to have already come to that conclusion.

For undergrad, general ‘life experience’ tends not to be taken into account in place of the academic requirements. You’ll be expected to have retaken things if you don’t meet the requirements. There might be the odd exception if you had mitigating circumstances.

If you meet the gcse Eng and Maths requirement AND your level 3 quals are broadly equivalent to their A-Level offer then yes, you absolutely have a chance. Given your background, you should have contacted them ahead of applying, as you are at risk of five rejections if they deem your qualifications unacceptable. At this stage all you can do is wait but you might want to think of at least one second choice. Approach them to see if their own course is still open to applicants via Exta and that they would consider your academic background.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
I agree that 5 applications to variations of the same course at the same Uni was unwise but you seem to have already come to that conclusion.

For undergrad, general ‘life experience’ tends not to be taken into account in place of the academic requirements. You’ll be expected to have retaken things if you don’t meet the requirements. There might be the odd exception if you had mitigating circumstances.

If you meet the gcse Eng and Maths requirement AND your level 3 quals are broadly equivalent to their A-Level offer then yes, you absolutely have a chance. Given your background, you should have contacted them ahead of applying, as you are at risk of five rejections if they deem your qualifications unacceptable. At this stage all you can do is wait but you might want to think of at least one second choice. Approach them to see if their own course is still open to applicants via Exta and that they would consider your academic background.

Thank you for your reply. I did try quite hard to get a hold of admissions to discuss my specific case prior AND post application, but unfortunately I got no reply at all - not even an acknowledgement of my emails, nor any answer to my phonecall. In the end I thought I'd better just apply and hope to get an interview.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Why not call/ email Bath Spa and ask? Also look for and foundation years which might suit.

I actually did do just that, I attempted to contact admissions both before and after sending my application off. I didn't get any reply or even an acknowledgement that I'd tried to contact them.
You are very unlikely to get in if you don't meet their academic requirements. Life experience is great, but academic criteria are there for a reason. Have you tried calling the admissions team?
Original post by Archaedin
Thank you for your reply. I did try quite hard to get a hold of admissions to discuss my specific case prior AND post application, but unfortunately I got no reply at all - not even an acknowledgement of my emails, nor any answer to my phonecall. In the end I thought I'd better just apply and hope to get an interview.

Understandable if you didn’t get any response. Most UG teams are swamped with emails at the best of times and the past year has definitely not been the best of times. The quickest route to getting answer (or promoting one from an email) is to call until you speak to someone. If your apps are submitted then it’s just a case of waiting and seeing.
Reply 7
Original post by black tea
You are very unlikely to get in if you don't meet their academic requirements. Life experience is great, but academic criteria are there for a reason. Have you tried calling the admissions team?

Several times, yes - for some reason I never got through and never got a reply to my emails. The thing is that I do have enough UCAS points, (L2 & L3 extended diploma gets me there) but my grades are just slightly under their requirements, and it isn't in English. I was hoping they'd ask for an interview or for a piece of my writing to make up the difference, but now I'm not sure they'll even do that.
Hi there, just wondering how you got on? I was home educated too, almost through the first draft of my novel and thinking of applying to Bath Spa for Creative Writing! Did you end up going there? If so, what was is it like? If not, what did you end up doing instead? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending