The Student Room Group

if i redo yr 12, would it effect my oxbridge application

heyy, long story short my schools closing this year and no other school has accepted me for year 13.

if i were to retake year 12 would it affect my oxbridge application? ive asked teachers if it affects applications for other russel groups and they said no. I'm considering applying to either Cambridge or oxford for english literature and my predicted grades are a*a*a (chem, maths and eng lit) if i redo yr 12 i wanna remove chem w history and do epq too). my gcse grades a 2 9's, 4 8's, 2 7's, a 6 and a 5

ty for reading this
damn thats tough.

firstly, the council or government should be able to help you get a school.

secondly, i assume this must be under some sort of special circumstances that they should consider. if you briefly mention what happened in your reference/personal statement and the grades you were predicted, or email the admissions offices, i'm sure you will be ok.

also, make sure you want to replace chem with history as you're clearly strong in chem. have you considered doing 4 a levels? its not necessary but if you think you can manage, as you've already done half of 3 alevels, it will defo help when applying to oxbridge but not other unis so much.

all the best
(edited 11 months ago)
If your academic reference explains that your school closed and you were unable to transfer into year 13 elsewhere I imagine it shouldn't be held against you, I would hope? Particularly as you are changing a subject and taking on an EPQ which should hopefully demonstrate you are remaining engaged in learning new things? Plus it's outside of your control.

It's an unusual situation really I think so might be hard to generalise though :s-smilie:

@Peterhouse Admissions might have some insight into how such a situation may be approached at Cambridge by them at least?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by user8937264980
damn thats tough.

firstly, the council or government should be able to help you get a school.

secondly, i assume this must be under some sort of special circumstances that they should consider. if you briefly mention what happened in your reference/personal statement and the grades you were predicted, or email the admissions offices, i'm sure you will be ok.

also, make sure you want to replace chem with history as you're clearly strong in chem. have you considered doing 4 a levels? its not necessary but if you think you can manage, as you've already done half of 3 alevels, it will defo help when applying to oxbridge but not other unis so much.

all the best

i contacted my council as well as the one my schools in, they said they don't help ppl who are over yr 11.

2024 is the last yr they're doing personal statements so if i ask my teacher in 2025 to sdo a reference i hope they'll put it in. that's a good idea ngl, doing 4 i may consider it!

but I'm scared oxbrideg may say that since its taken me longer to do the sixth form yrs I'm not a good enough candidate
Reply 4
Original post by aisima
2024 is the last yr they're doing personal statements so if i ask my teacher in 2025 to sdo a reference i hope they'll put it in. that's a good idea ngl, doing 4 i may consider it!

Just as a FYI, UCAS decided to turn around on that. Personal statements will continue.
Original post by aisima
i contacted my council as well as the one my schools in, they said they don't help ppl who are over yr 11.

but I'm scared oxbrideg may say that since its taken me longer to do the sixth form yrs I'm not a good enough candidate

I don't know where this myth that personal statements aren't being used came from - you will still be submitting written statements as part of UCAS, it's just that the format will have changed so it's a more structured series of mini-statements in response to specific questions.

That said, it's something for your academic referee to put in their reference really, not for you to discuss in your PS.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by aisima

if this is a problem to them, i think itll be more of the issue that its unfair that you've had an extra year than other candidates so it has made it easier for you, as i dont think they can fault the grades you get or think you arent good enough as its not as though you are retaking out of choice or because you were below y13 standards.

i dont really think it will be a problem but it is best to email their admissions if you dont get a sufficient reply here
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mesub
Just as a FYI, UCAS decided to turn around on that. Personal statements will continue.

WAIT FR?? can u pls send the article or smth
Reply 8
Original post by user8937264980
if this is a problem to them, i think itll be more of the issue that its unfair that you've had an extra year than other candidates so it has made it easier for you, as i dont think they can fault the grades you get or think you arent good enough as its not as though you are retaking out of choice or because you were below y13 standards.

i dont really think it will be a problem but it is best to email their admissions if you dont get a sufficient reply here

Thats a good idea, thank you for ur suggestion

Quick Reply

Latest