The Student Room Group

don’t know which uni to choose

just received my final offer on ucas. i was all set on going to northumbria to do the social sciences foundation year but manchester met have offered me a criminology foundation year. i wanted to to criminology in the first place and i plan on doing it after the foundation year, i just don’t have the grades for it this year. the entry requirements are both the same (merit on any level 3 extended diploma course). i will be more comfortable in newcastle as it’s closer to home but manchester offers the better course. i really do want a good university experience and i’m struggling to decide which one will be best for that seeing as i can’t go to an open day because of rona. some personal opinions would be greatly appreciated.

tl;dr - northumbria university or manchester metropolitan university for criminology?
go to MMU - Manchester is a great student city and its the course you eventually want to do. Yes, its a trek from Newcastle so that is a factor to consider if you feel you want to be closer to home.
Original post by 16sivanx
just received my final offer on ucas. i was all set on going to northumbria to do the social sciences foundation year but manchester met have offered me a criminology foundation year. i wanted to to criminology in the first place and i plan on doing it after the foundation year, i just don’t have the grades for it this year. the entry requirements are both the same (merit on any level 3 extended diploma course). i will be more comfortable in newcastle as it’s closer to home but manchester offers the better course. i really do want a good university experience and i’m struggling to decide which one will be best for that seeing as i can’t go to an open day because of rona. some personal opinions would be greatly appreciated.

tl;dr - northumbria university or manchester metropolitan university for criminology?

Think about where you want to end up for the 3 year degree course - Northumbria or Manchester?

From a social sciences foundation year at Northumbria you can still progress onto their BSc Criminology course so I don't really see the problem.
How to choose Firm & Insurance - read it all :https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/ucas-application/firm-and-insurance-choice-replying-to-university-offers

Then look on YouTube for Campus Tour films for both Unis, and the 'tourist' films about each city.
Reply 4
hi I'm a student from hong kong and i have received conditional offers from Northumbria and Salford for physio. Besides the uni ranking and reputation, I'd also like to know more about the life in Newcastle and Manchester just like you to help me choose between these 2 uni. Although I have been to the uk for several times because my older sister studied at uni of york, it's my first time living abroad alone. So I'd like to know which city is better for international students to live in, or feel like home, if you know what i mean haha
Reply 5
Original post by NatCheng
hi I'm a student from hong kong and i have received conditional offers from Northumbria and Salford for physio. Besides the uni ranking and reputation, I'd also like to know more about the life in Newcastle and Manchester just like you to help me choose between these 2 uni. Although I have been to the uk for several times because my older sister studied at uni of york, it's my first time living abroad alone. So I'd like to know which city is better for international students to live in, or feel like home, if you know what i mean haha

i think both cities are great for international students, they’ve both got great travel links. manchester is the bigger city, its got more students and a range of cultures so you might find it easier to make good friends there and feel at home! other than that, i think that they are very similar places and you won’t be making the wrong decision regardless of where you choose.

i still can’t decide between them though lol
Reply 6
i think both cities are great for international students, they’ve both got great travel links. manchester is the bigger city, its got more students and a range of cultures so you might find it easier to make good friends there and feel at home! other than that, i think that they are very similar places and you won’t be making the wrong decision regardless of where you choose.

Good to hear that! Thanks for your info!
I hope you could also make up your mind :wink:

HI @16sivanx

Congratulations on receiving an offer from us! Yay:smartass:

We understand it can be hard to decide which university you would like to go to!

Our Manchester Met campus is based right in the city centre, and is only a short walk/bus ride to many local attractions in Manchester. We have elite sports, a legendary music scene and a rich cultural history. From our fashion-forward shopping to our restaurants that serve food from every corner of the globe, you’ll never run out of reasons to love Manchester. The city is a hotbed for media and creativity, and a growing powerhouse driven by science, engineering and big business. We also have excellent transport links across the city, with Manchester Oxford Road train station being a 10-minute walk from the university campus and Manchester Piccadilly being a 20-minute walk, visiting back home is easily accessible!

Since we aren't holding open days at the moment we are offering Virtual Open days. Although our next set is 21st-26th June 2021. You can book your place here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/open-days/undergraduate

Since it is a while away till our next virtual open days, we do offer On-Demand open days where you will still be able to view subject presentations, FAQs from teaching staff for each of our subject areas, Our Student Life Fair with 10 different areas covering everything from how to apply, student life, student living, careers to student support and a virtual tour of our campus. You can access the on-demand virtual open day here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/open-days/undergraduate/demand-open-days

You might find it useful to chat with one of our current students here at Manchester Met, via our access platform. Students can chat with you about student life and what it is like studying courses at Manchester Met https://www.mmu.ac.uk/chatwithus/

I hope some of this helps! Good luck with making your decision and hopefully we will see you in September.:crossedf:
Best wishes
Carly :smile:
Reply 8

But regarding part-time jobs its quite hard to get onevas I've heard due to very low population in Newcastle.. is it true??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending