The Student Room Group

Try a 11 plus exam from the 1950's online: Why is it so hard?

Scroll to see replies

MichaelG

also, just out of curiosity, how can you be a "good grammer school student" yet support Labour? Wheres the logic in that?

edit: Only the top 10% of the brightest were sent to university. And rightly so. Why should there be morons at university?

I was born into a priviledged section of society, so I have an obligation to use my talent for the benefit of all britons. Otherwise it would be unfair right?:yep:

We need more people at uni coz we believe in their unrealised talent:yep:
Because the stupid "old school" font they use for some text boxes is hard to read. I did ok, but I had to quit half way through. Would've been better if you could actually read all of it.
Zygroth
That took 35 minutes. The things in there are generally the same sort of things you get in today's 11+ exams I think. Considering how the questions are all really similar, it wouldn't have been hard for a 10 year old to prepare for it...

This explains why you did well. :p:
Lucy Pevensie
I was born into a priviledged section of society, so I have an obligation to use my talent for the benefit of all britons. Otherwise it would be unfair right?:yep:

We need more people at uni coz we believe in their unrealised talent:yep:

Interesting: you believe that you should use your opportunities to benefit other Britons, but you also believe that those opportunities should be kept for a select few?
jismith1989
Interesting: you believe that you should use your opportunities to benefit other Britons, but you also believe that those opportunities should be kept for a select few?

I never said that. I think the opportunities offered to me should be offered to all kids. :yep:
Lucy Pevensie
I never said that. I think the opportunities offered to me should be offered to all kids. :yep:

But grammar schools are by nature selective. :s-smilie: I believe that all people can succeed if given the opportunities; I don't believe in any great level of innate intelligence.
66/80: 83%

*Feels retarded*
I dont know if its been mentioned ( I am really tired and the thread is long) I think the reason why you all failed so badly ( I havent taken the exam out of fear [Im meant to be clever and my ego cant take a beating at this stage]) is because we arent aloud to fail anymore. The whole it the taking part that counts thing as come round and biten us on the arse- resulting in substandard 12/13 year olds, easier exams and pleased parents.
jismith1989
But grammar schools are by nature selective. :s-smilie: I believe that all people can succeed if given the opportunities; I don't believe in any great level of innate intelligence.

Grammar schools are selective because there are not enough resources invested in the school system for everyone to get the same opportunities. Our society is not perfect, and equal opportunity in education is something we should work on to achieve. However I dont think my belief in that everyone should get an equal opportunities in education should deter me from going to grammar school if I have the ability to do so, since not going there would mean not taking up the opportunity to realise my full potential; and I believe that realising potential is the ultimate goal of education. I did not design the current school system, so I have to play by the rules. But by realising my potential I think I will be able to have the opportunity in the future to redesign the system to be more in accordance to my Labour beliefs for the benefit of future kids of our glorious empire:yep::rolleyes:
Lucy Pevensie
But by realising my potential I think I will be able to have the opportunity in the future to redesign the system to be more in accordance to my Labour beliefs for the benefit of future kids of our glorious empire:yep::rolleyes:

That last bit proves why you will never do so. An empire is a bastion and perpetuation of inequality. :wink:
oriel historian
That last bit proves why you will never do so. An empire is a bastion and perpetuation of inequality. :wink:

Not if the territory you want to benefit happens to be the cultural, economic, political and military center of the empire:smile:
Lucy Pevensie
Not if the territory you want to benefit happens to be the cultural, economic, political and military center of the empire:smile:

Then you're not Labour at all. Perpetuating an empire promotes inequality around the world and shores up a small amount of people at the expense of a very large amount of people. That, alas, is rather more in tune with the Conservative values of people like Winston Churchill than 'Labour' values.
Your score is 90% that's 72/80

Happy enough with that - took me just over 20 minutes. I don't think it's too much different from the logic stuff I did in my 11+ really tbh
oriel historian
Then you're not Labour at all. Perpetuating an empire promotes inequality around the world and shores up a small amount of people at the expense of a very large amount of people. That, alas, is rather more in tune with the Conservative values of people like Winston Churchill than 'Labour' values.

Well, with New Labour anyone can be anything. Ideology is just a minor annoyance nowadays.
jismith1989
Well, with New Labour anyone can be anything. Ideology is just a minor annoyance nowadays.

She isn't flying the New Labour flag, though, she's flying the Labour Rose. That suggests Old Labour to me, and if that's true: being pro-imperialism is at odds with its values.
oriel historian
She isn't flying the New Labour flag, though, she's flying the Labour Rose. That suggests Old Labour to me, and if that's true: being pro-imperialism is at odds with its values.

Well, she's probably just a little politically confused: she wouldn't be the only one.
Reply 56
79% – that's 63/80

I go to a Grammar school myself and am tutoring someone for their eleven plus, so I found that okay as I am used to looking at the questions. I did, however, skip all the multiplication type ones because I droped maths for a reason (I find it tedius).
Im new Labour ftw:wink: But I agree we have started to lose a sense of direction and need to redefine ourselves more clearly. Hopefully the leadership will do that soon, otherwise I have to do the dirty work:smile:

As for the definition of empire, cant you define Britain as a empire without its military component, eg we still project political, cultural and economic power, especially within the commonwealth and other former colonies. And empire doesnt have to mean opression, right? I was reading John Lewis Gaddis take on the cold war and the "American empire" which was quite democratic after all. Mr Orielhistorian who have phD from Swansea, please comment on that:smile:
Lucy Pevensie
As for the definition of empire, cant you define Britain as a empire without its military component, eg we still project political, cultural and economic power, especially within the commonwealth and other former colonies.

Projecting economic, political, and cultural power is still perpetuating inequality. It's the idea that 'our culture' is better than 'your culture'. That is what the Americans were doing during the Cold War. Indeed, the Cold War was little more than a culture war - although there were proxy conflicts such as Vietnam, Korea, Cuba, and the various Latin American regime changes - and the institutions of the Cold War reflect that socio-cultural power of the West. Joseph Nye has called this "Soft Power" though the idea emerged initially in the analysis of Antonio Gramsci and relates to his concept of hegemony.

Lucy Pevensie
And empire doesnt have to mean opression, right? I was reading John Lewis Gaddis take on the cold war and the "American empire" which was quite democratic after all. Mr Orielhistorian who have phD from Swansea, please comment on that:smile:

Empire always means oppression and exploitation. As Lenin wrote in 1916, Imperialism is the highest stage of capitalism. It seeks to erradicate opposition or to render them so weak that they submit to your rule. This can be achieved using hard power institutions - read the military - or through soft power institutions - e.g. economic, social, cultural - or a combination of the two. I'm afraid the American Empire of the C20th was far from democratic. One need only have a slight knowledge of the impact of the US on Latin America's development to appreciate that.

And I'm a doctoral student, not an actual degree-owning PhD. If I was, I wouldn't be on this board.
Reply 59
i got bored mid way through the second set of questions, 8%
but yeah i must agree i doubt i'd of been able to answer a lot of those at age 11.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending