The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Exemption of language proficiency certificate by any chance?

I am Chinese and have been living and working in the USA for 6 years as a teacher who teaches in a public elementary school. I have applied the postgraduate programme in UK. Right now, I have received the conditional offer from Bristol and still waiting on the offer from Edinburgh. I know I need to pass and get IELTS as a language proficiency certificate. But because of the pandemic, the IELTs examination office has been shut down in the state where I live since March 2020. I have no idea if it's going to open up before summer when the school year starts. Does anyone know if the school would consider waiving the language certificate by any chance if I can prove my English language ability?
I know some universities in the USA can exempt the language proficiency certificate if a person has worked in the US for certain years.
Thank you for your help or advices in advance.
I would just email the universities individually and ask :smile: Explain your situation, and ask them if there is any way you can be exempt, or if they know of anywhere you can take the test online?

If you have been living and working in the US for six years, especially while working as a teacher, I personally think that is more than enough proof that you meet the English requirements. Maybe suggest to the universities that you could get a co-worker or a supervisor from the school you have been working at to write a letter on your behalf testifying to your English abilities, and ask if that would be sufficient? :smile:

I am from a non-English speaking country, but I studied in the US for the past three years. I got an unconditional offer from Edinburgh, and I was exempt from the English proficiency certificate. I know that its not exactly the same, but since you have been in the US twice as long as I was I think you should be qualified without having to take a test as well.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Thank you so much for your advice!
Reply 3
Original post by username5703961
I would just email the universities individually and ask :smile: Explain your situation, and ask them if there is any way you can be exempt, or if they know of anywhere you can take the test online?

If you have been living and working in the US for six years, especially while working as a teacher, I personally think that is more than enough proof that you meet the English requirements. Maybe suggest to the universities that you could get a co-worker or a supervisor from the school you have been working at to write a letter on your behalf testifying to your English abilities, and ask if that would be sufficient? :smile:

I am from a non-English speaking country, but I studied in the US for the past three years. I got an unconditional offer from Edinburgh, and I was exempt from the English proficiency certificate. I know that its not exactly the same, but since you have been in the US twice as long as I was I think you should be qualified without having to take a test as well.

Hi, I have faced the same problem here. May I ask you to elaborate further about how you get exemption for English even though you are not an US national. Did your professor right a letter about your circumstance or something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending