The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Exemption of language proficiency certificate by any chance?

I am Chinese and have been living and working in the USA for 6 years as a teacher who teaches in a public elementary school. I have applied the postgraduate programme in UK. Right now, I have received the conditional offer from Bristol and still waiting on the offer from Edinburgh. I know I need to pass and get IELTS as a language proficiency certificate. But because of the pandemic, the IELTs examination office has been shut down in the state where I live since March 2020. I have no idea if it's going to open up before summer when the school year starts. Does anyone know if the school would consider waiving the language certificate by any chance if I can prove my English language ability?
I know some universities in the USA can exempt the language proficiency certificate if a person has worked in the US for certain years.
Thank you for your help or advices in advance.
Original post by Chuxiasummer
I am Chinese and have been living and working in the USA for 6 years as a teacher who teaches in a public elementary school. I have applied the postgraduate programme in UK. Right now, I have received the conditional offer from Bristol and still waiting on the offer from Edinburgh. I know I need to pass and get IELTS as a language proficiency certificate. But because of the pandemic, the IELTs examination office has been shut down in the state where I live since March 2020. I have no idea if it's going to open up before summer when the school year starts. Does anyone know if the school would consider waiving the language certificate by any chance if I can prove my English language ability?
I know some universities in the USA can exempt the language proficiency certificate if a person has worked in the US for certain years.
Thank you for your help or advices in advance.

Does your offer from Bristol state you need to sit IELTS? Did you get your undergraduate degree in the US? I don't think it should be an issue, considering you live in an English speaking country and the centre is closed because of the pandemic, but I suggest you contact them directly and ask. Also take a look here https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/postgraduate/applying/your-application/entry-requirements/english-requirements
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Alternatively you can also sit an English test at home, Edinburgh lists OEFL iBT® Home Edition as a valid option
Original post by Anonymous
Alternatively you can also sit an English test at home, Edinburgh lists OEFL iBT® Home Edition as a valid option

Thank you!
Original post by Chuxiasummer
Thank you!

No problem, I hope you enjoy Scotland/UK :h:
No problem, I hope you enjoy Scotland/UK :h:

Ha, thanks alot. I need to get myself there first!
Reply 6
Does your offer from Bristol state you need to sit IELTS? Did you get your undergraduate degree in the US? I don't think it should be an issue, considering you live in an English speaking country and the centre is closed because of the pandemic, but I suggest you contact them directly and ask. Also take a look here https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/postgraduate/applying/your-application/entry-requirements/english-requirements

Hi, I have faced the same problem here. May I ask you to elaborate further about how you get exemption for English even though you are not an US national. Did your professor right a letter about your circumstance or something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending