The Student Room Group

The Arabic Learners' Society

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, i was wondering if any of you can help me out.

im interested in learning arabic properly, meaning that while I can read arabic, i understand nothing from it - basically ive read the quran and stuff but id like to actually learn properly. Problem is, i have no time over summer to take an actual course, so i want to study it on my own in the evenings or something along those lines (and then continue to study when im back at uni). Can anyone suggest where i should start/good books/ methods etc ?

thanks!
Original post by Phantom_X

im interested in learning arabic properly, meaning that while I can read arabic, i understand nothing from it - basically ive read the quran and stuff but id like to actually learn properly. Problem is, i have no time over summer to take an actual course, so i want to study it on my own in the evenings or something along those lines (and then continue to study when im back at uni). Can anyone suggest where i should start/good books/ methods etc ?

thanks!

Hey!

at first, its known for everyone that the Quran is most complicated arabic book that you will face in your life.

So did you read it in Arabic and understood it? if yes, then you should be perfect in Arabic, because i'm an Arab, and i couldn't understand everything i read in the Quran without going back to tafisr books to help.

I can't actually suggest for you books, because all of arabic books are too complicated. Because Arabic grammar is tooooooooooooooooooooo complicated.

So, you need to take a course in Arabic lang. or either get help from an Arab, face to face.

i can help you if you want anything, let say the basics or how to say the very basic words.
Original post by Phantom_X

thanks!

I recommend these books as a starting point:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arabic-Course-English-Speaking-Students-complete/dp/B004NIIV9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312374368&sr=8-1
Massa al-khayr,

Just wondering if anyone on here knows how to write comparative forms of words in Arabic? E.g. "thaqeel" = heavy, "kabeer" = big; but how would I write "heavier", or "bigger" in Arabic?

Shukran :smile:.

Also, if anyone could let me know if there are any standard rules for plurals, that would be great.
Reply 584
Original post by PagowenTheGreat
Massa al-khayr,

Just wondering if anyone on here knows how to write comparative forms of words in Arabic? E.g. "thaqeel" = heavy, "kabeer" = big; but how would I write "heavier", or "bigger" in Arabic?

Also, if anyone could let me know if there are any standard rules for plurals, that would be great.

I know that "bigger" is "akbaar" hence "heavier could be "athqaal"...?

The rules for plurals are the same for nouns and adjectives, I guess.
. . . .
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by PagowenTheGreat
Massa al-khayr,

Massa El Nour :smile:

Thaqeel = heavy, Athqal: Heavier, AlAthqal: the heaviest
Akbar: Bigger, AlAkbar: the biggest.
Tall: Taweel, Taller: Atwal, Tallest: AlAtwal
============
The rules are simple:

There are many types of plurals,

1) When talking about 2 things, which is called Mothana,

Its just to add the letters أ (Alf) & ن (Non) OR add the letters ي (Ya'a) and ن (Non).

Examples:

boy: Walad,
Two boys: Waladan

Depending on the position of the word in the sentence, you can decide which letters to add.

E.g 1:

zahab al waladan ela al Madrash (Translation: the two boys went to school)

so as you can see, the word Waladan is coming here as a subject (Fa'ael) so its (Marfooa'a) so you must add the letters أ (Alf) & ن .

E.g 2:

Wasal Khalid al Waldeen (Translation: Khalid took the two boys to a certain place)

Waladeen here is an object (Mafoo'aol) and so you must add add the letters ي (Ya'a) and ن (Non).

Note: If you know nothing about (Nasab, Rafa'a, Kaser) then you can ignore the two examples above.

2) When talking about 3 or more things,

there are three types of this plural form

a) Jama'a Mozkar Salem (Regular Plural for males),

so just add the letters و (Waw) and ن (Non). OR ي (Ya'a) and ن (Non).

And it depends on the position of the word in the sentence.

b) Jama'a Moanth Salem (Regular plural for females)

add only the letters letters أ (Alf) and ت (Ta'a).

its always the same form.
example:

3 or more girls = Banat

c) Jam'a Takseer (Irregular plural).

These are examples known in the Arabic language, and there are no rules for them.

such as:

Students : Tolab, as you say it doesn't follow the rules in 1) or 2).
Schools: Madares
Books: Kotob

==========================

Hope that you understood what i've explained here.

If you know nothing about these, then tell me to explain them in details.
*revives thread*
Reply 588
Try typing "Iraq will die" in Google translate. Enjoy the Arabic for it :p:.
Hey guys what does 3yoonek al 7elwa mean exactly in reply to someone saying you're hot?
Original post by Alirajan
Hey guys what does 3yoonek al 7elwa mean exactly in reply to someone saying you're hot?

Your eyes are pretty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending