The Student Room Group

8000~ word dissertation where word limit is 10000?

I've got about 50 hours to hand in my dissertation. I'm incredibly behind but I will get it done because I must. I have 4000 words on paper, the word limit is 10000 and I'm really not sure I can sh!t out 6000 words. I just have too much still to do that's not writing, and even then not enough to write about. There are strict penalties for going over but no information about going under- will I lose significant marks for handing in a diss with about 8000 words? Obviously I'm not expecting a great mark but like is 55+ still possible?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by BenK64
I've got about 50 hours to hand in my dissertation. I'm incredibly behind but I will get it done because I must. I have 4000 words on paper, the word limit is 10000 and I'm really not sure I can sh!t out 6000 words. I just have too much still to do that's not writing, and even then not enough to write about. There are strict penalties for going over but no information about going under- will I lose significant marks for handing in a diss with about 8000 words? Obviously I'm not expecting a great mark but like is 55+ still possible?

Possibly - quality over quantity
Original post by BenK64

How did it go?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
How did it go?

I handed it in on time, it was around 8500 words. I don't know the grade at the moment, and the quality was pretty poor especially toward the back end of the dissertation, but honestly I'm just so glad I handed something in and I'm done with it. If I cared about the grade I would have taken it a lot more seriously. I don't know what stage of academia you're in but be warned if you do a degree in something you're not passionate about, make sure you know that you have the resolution to see it out 3 years on. I just barely had it, and I cant overstate how much I just didn't give a fck about my course or my results by the end of it.
Reply 4
What course is it?
Reply 5
Original post by Zuzuuuu
What course is it?

BA geography. It wasn't all bad and I don't want to put others off doing it. Just personally there's a whole bunch in the course I didn't have anywhere near enough deep academic interest in to pursue it for three years. Every module became a chore pretty quickly but I stuck with it and well I'm just glad its over. The social side of uni life was fantastic and i dont regret going, but academically it was mind-numbingly dull pain for the most part.
Original post by BenK64
I handed it in on time, it was around 8500 words. I don't know the grade at the moment, and the quality was pretty poor especially toward the back end of the dissertation, but honestly I'm just so glad I handed something in and I'm done with it. If I cared about the grade I would have taken it a lot more seriously. I don't know what stage of academia you're in but be warned if you do a degree in something you're not passionate about, make sure you know that you have the resolution to see it out 3 years on. I just barely had it, and I cant overstate how much I just didn't give a fck about my course or my results by the end of it.

Im glad you were able to hand something in and 8.5k words is alot and pretty good! I hope you've done better than you think. I am in my final year too, and i actually ended up not submitting it at all (but will get to hand it in in the summer) - i would have felt much better if i had done it. I completely get you - while i am passionate about my degree as well as the dissertation topic, i lost all motivation two months ago. Idk where my self-destructive behaviour comes from, but because i lost the passion i ended up just not doing it. It's really hard when there's no passion, so well done for pushing through!!
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Im glad you were able to hand something in and 8.5k words is alot and pretty good! I hope you've done better than you think. I am in my final year too, and i actually ended up not submitting it at all (but will get to hand it in in the summer) - i would have felt much better if i had done it. I completely get you - while i am passionate about my degree as well as the dissertation topic, i lost all motivation two months ago. Idk where my self-destructive behaviour comes from, but because i lost the passion i ended up just not doing it. It's really hard when there's no passion, so well done for pushing through!!

I understand the struggle. I lost it and never really came close to getting it back, I was just in a state of ennui ever since really. Hopefully you can get some of that enthusiasm back and with your summer deadline you can produce something better than I did. It's interesting you mentioned self-destructive behaviour too because I was questioning that about myself all the time this last 6-24 months lol. Like I was actually constantly astonished at my lack of preparation, and no matter how many times I swore to myself I would never do another all nighter again I always found myself in the same position. Its like I really wanted to push myself to the edge of failure just to see if i could still make it doing the bare minimum. anyway thats all done now thank christ
Reply 8
Your expressions of how hard it is/was to maintain enthusiasm resonant with me, thank you taking time to share your thoughts, fears and pains. I'm a final year History student, sure, got my dissertation ideas ok & already approved by my nominated supervisor, not a problem, but I'm already losing enthusiasm for it. Not so much the subject, but the 10,000 words! I tried to think of it as 4 x 2500 word 'normal' assignments. In fact, my fault most likely! But actually I did not realise there was a dissertation at all in the final year. I was looking forward to 12 x 2500 word assignments on different subjects (Advent/Easter Semesters). I've not even written my essay plan yet. Sure, I want to pass the degree. But I sympathise with those I've read about here finding it hard to sustain three years on a topic. Maybe universities should just compress all of the study into two years, they we would not 'expire' so much in the final year(!); it takes a lot of energy and mental commitment to keep gong and I'm finding it a challenge even before I start back at the end of September'23. University advice services are all blah, blah, they just give you more stuff to read about how to organise yourself, …great (not really); the fact is 'I' need to write the dissertation, not them. God! How do we/I get motivated! Where is this all going and it all costs so much in the end! Hope someone has some magic advice, thank you guys. Just reading about all your struggles does actually help make me feel less isolated with these fears. Thank you x.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending