The Student Room Group
St Mary's Road Campus
University of West London
London

Pregnant and trying to withdraw in 3rd term

I’m pregnant ,baby due in a few days, I need to apply for benefits ASAP but I can’t if I’m still officially recognised as a student. I have raised my concerns with the course leader and they have said that my situation is unfortunate but there is nothing that can be done because the fees have already been paid. And that I’d have to request a withdrawal in august. I’ve got rent to pay, bills and a baby to support. I can’t afford to wait till August to request to withdraw and then after have to apply to benefits and then wait a further 5 weeks for that. I will end up evicted, lose everything I have, in a mother and baby unit and probably in debt too.

Please help?????
Reply 1
Could you possibly get temporary support from family or friends and then pay them back when you get the benefits
St Mary's Road Campus
University of West London
London
Original post by Yazomi
Could you possibly get temporary support from family or friends and then pay them back when you get the benefits

Nope, I have no one!
Original post by Anonymous
I’m pregnant ,baby due in a few days, I need to apply for benefits ASAP but I can’t if I’m still officially recognised as a student. I have raised my concerns with the course leader and they have said that my situation is unfortunate but there is nothing that can be done because the fees have already been paid. And that I’d have to request a withdrawal in august. I’ve got rent to pay, bills and a baby to support. I can’t afford to wait till August to request to withdraw and then after have to apply to benefits and then wait a further 5 weeks for that. I will end up evicted, lose everything I have, in a mother and baby unit and probably in debt too.

Please help?????

Why don't you contact your local citizen's advice, call up charities...
Why don't you contact your local citizen's advice, call up charities...

I will tomorrow Thankyou! Any idea which Charities tho???
Reply 5
Try your Students Union for advice too
Reply 6
Original post by Lozzaaas1212
Nope, I have no one!

Is the baby's father not being supportive?
Reply 7

Please help?????

I've just realised that you have posted in the University of West London forum - is that where you are a student?
Original post by Kerzen
Is the baby's father not being supportive?

He is but together we can only do so much and when you apply as a couple to benefits they take both our financial situations into consideration. Likely leaving him to pay everything which is impossible.
Original post by Kerzen
I've just realised that you have posted in the University of West London forum - is that where you are a student?

No it’s not but I’d prefer to keep this anonymous
Reply 10
No it’s not but I’d prefer to keep this anonymous

Oh, I see. I was going to give you the Welfare Team details for that University.

There must be a Welfare Team at your own University. Is there?

By the way, have I understood correctly that your baby is due in a few days' time?
Original post by Kerzen
Oh, I see. I was going to give you the Welfare Team details for that University.

There must be a Welfare Team at your own University. Is there?

By the way, have I understood correctly that your baby is due in a few days' time?

Ohh okay Thankyou & yes he’s due in a couple of days now!
Reply 12
Ohh okay Thankyou & yes he’s due in a couple of days now!

Have you been able to speak to someone at your University about the situation now?

By the way, is there a reason why things are only being sorted out at this late stage? It must be very stressful.

If you feel able to say at which University you are studying, there is bound to be a number we can find which you can call.

It's very worrying to read about someone who is about to give birth and who may be homeless.
Original post by Kerzen
Have you been able to speak to someone at your University about the situation now?

By the way, is there a reason why things are only being sorted out at this late stage? It must be very stressful.

If you feel able to say at which University you are studying, there is bound to be a number we can find which you can call.

It's very worrying to read about someone who is about to give birth and who may be homeless.

Just my university lecture/head of the course ,she’s not being very helpful, basically saying I should have tried to withdraw sooner.

I left it this late because i was still deciding what to do, I had several discussions with the head of the course about withdrawing prior to finally deciding to withdraw. I want to withdraw because I need to make a complaint since the course has failed me in multiple different ways, it was advertised to me that I could complete the course (with or without being pregnant) it was advertised to me in the interview that I was also have a great placement to get all my teaching hours and they failed me and blamed covid. On top of that I believe I have been discriminated against for being pregnant by the head of the department at the college where I had the placement. They let me go because I didn’t reply to 2 emails. Pretty poor excuse if you ask me...

I am studying at greenwich on the PGCE course.
I have spoken to my Lawer - she’s not doing much about it, citizens advice - I have a meeting with them
Next week.

Yes very worrying and stressful!
Reply 14
Just my university lecture/head of the course ,she’s not being very helpful, basically saying I should have tried to withdraw sooner.

I left it this late because i was still deciding what to do, I had several discussions with the head of the course about withdrawing prior to finally deciding to withdraw. I want to withdraw because I need to make a complaint since the course has failed me in multiple different ways, it was advertised to me that I could complete the course (with or without being pregnant) it was advertised to me in the interview that I was also have a great placement to get all my teaching hours and they failed me and blamed covid. On top of that I believe I have been discriminated against for being pregnant by the head of the department at the college where I had the placement. They let me go because I didn’t reply to 2 emails. Pretty poor excuse if you ask me...

I am studying at greenwich on the PGCE course.
I have spoken to my Lawer - she’s not doing much about it, citizens advice - I have a meeting with them
Next week.

Yes very worrying and stressful!

Have you rung your Student Wellbeing Service?

https://www.gre.ac.uk/student-services/support/student-wellbeing#
check out turn2us to see if there are any other benefits you qualify for
Reply 16
Hi, you can still apply for benefits (universal credit) they will take off a weekly amount for student loan income etc until the end of your course. I’m doing a pgce so mine ends July 2nd for example. You will then get the remaining amount on UC as you will be entitled to a housing allowance a child allowance and a personal allowance. Please jus let start a claim on UCAnd send them the info. Also claim child benefit. You should also be entitled to the £500 start up payment as well X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending