The Student Room Group

When's the best time for a baby? NQT year?

I am currently doing my teacher training year with the hope of being an NQT in September 2021. I am also wanting to start a family and we originally had plans to start trying next year so that the baby would be born (assuming we were able to get pregnant) after my NQT year. However, it has since been announced that the NQT year is being extended to 2 years meaning it would be a 2 year wait before we could even start trying.

What would happen if I was to fall pregnant in the middle of the two NQT years? Am I just being impatient? I have already put off having a baby by an additional 2 years by taking longer to complete my degree and having a gap year of being a TA before applying to scitt.

Any advice is welcomed!
Reply 1
Original post by scittstudent
I am currently doing my teacher training year with the hope of being an NQT in September 2021. I am also wanting to start a family and we originally had plans to start trying next year so that the baby would be born (assuming we were able to get pregnant) after my NQT year. However, it has since been announced that the NQT year is being extended to 2 years meaning it would be a 2 year wait before we could even start trying.

What would happen if I was to fall pregnant in the middle of the two NQT years? Am I just being impatient? I have already put off having a baby by an additional 2 years by taking longer to complete my degree and having a gap year of being a TA before applying to scitt.

Any advice is welcomed!

Hi, I'm not sure if my opinion is going to be helpful because I'm only 15 but I think if you want a baby and you have a supportive family or partner or anyone who can help, you should go for it. If its what you really want no one can stop you.
Hi, I believe starting a family is important but, you have to be very careful. Raising kids is not an easy task, and it takes so much of your time. I feel you need to make a decision if you'll wait until you're done with your studies, or you'll put one on hold. Nonetheless, the best things in life don't come easy, if you have a supportive partner, you can handle both. It all needs sacrifice.

Any advice is welcomed!

https://neu.org.uk/advice/maternity-rights

You need to check your rights to pay etc.
Original post by solaya carol
Hi, I believe starting a family is important but, you have to be very careful. Raising kids is not an easy task, and it takes so much of your time. I feel you need to make a decision if you'll wait until you're done with your studies, or you'll put one on hold. Nonetheless, the best things in life don't come easy, if you have a supportive partner, you can handle both. It all needs sacrifice.

Thank you. Although not ideal, do you know what would happen if I was to fall pregnant during the nqt years? Would it ‘pause’ and I could resume after maternity leave? Or would I have to restart the two years?
Thank you. Although not ideal, do you know what would happen if I was to fall pregnant during the nqt years? Would it ‘pause’ and I could resume after maternity leave? Or would I have to restart the two years?

I'm not sure if there are any changes with the new two-year induction period (though I doubt there will be), but under the current system, you can take maternity leave midway through your NQT year and still come back to complete the remaining number of terms needed.
Original post by bluebeetle
I'm not sure if there are any changes with the new two-year induction period (though I doubt there will be), but under the current system, you can take maternity leave midway through your NQT year and still come back to complete the remaining number of terms needed.

That’s good to know. And assuming it’s a fixed permanent contract, the same school would have you back to complete it?
That’s good to know. And assuming it’s a fixed permanent contract, the same school would have you back to complete it?

I would assume so, but I'm less certain about that part as I don't know so much about it. Most people I know (though could be a local thing, and wasn't the case for me personally) didn't have permanent contracts for their NQT year, but rather the NQT year was treated as a 'trial period' and if there were no issues, then they secured a permanent contract after that.
I would be interested to know what you chose to do as I am in a similar situation at present!!
I am hoping this finds you! Did you get anymore information on this? I know that the new ECT programme means that if time is off due to maternity then there is possible extension of study - which isn't too bad. My main concern is having to consider everything... I already have a daughter who is 2.5 year old and I feel as though time is nearing to have another child before age gap is too much. Trying to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending