The Student Room Group

How to apply to Cambridge whilst at uni?

Hi all, got rejected from Cambridge with A*A*A* but got into UCL. I'm not the best applicant as I have terrible GCSEs, so taking a gap year would simply be too risky in case i didn't get any offers. So, how could I go about reapplying to Oxbridge? could I go to UCL and apply in first year?
From what I remember Cambridge discourage students from transferring
Practically speaking you can't do this. You would have to take a gap year.
Original post by Jdjdjdjdjd
Hi all, got rejected from Cambridge with A*A*A* but got into UCL. I'm not the best applicant as I have terrible GCSEs, so taking a gap year would simply be too risky in case i didn't get any offers. So, how could I go about reapplying to Oxbridge? could I go to UCL and apply in first year?

I think this is generally discouraged. I also think going to university with the intention of leaving is not a good idea.

I would either take a year out & re-apply or go enjoy your undergrad at UCL, then perhaps consider a masters application at Cambridge if you want to scratch the itch.

No you can't do that ... they don't really accept applications like this

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq

"Can I transfer to Cambridge from another university?

Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances.

Any application to study at Cambridge would need strong support from your Course Director or other academic tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from that person to the Cambridge College would be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider an application. All such applications are still subject to the same academic assessment as any other application to the University.

We do have a system of admitting graduates from other universities to do a second undergraduate degree as an affiliated student at Cambridge, in which case the course takes a year less than usual."

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq#:~:text=Can%20I%20transfer%20to%20Cambridge,universities%20in%20very%20exceptional%20circumstances.

Check out the application section - by transfer they also mean 'apply while at'.

Apply to Cam for a Masters, if you want to go that route.
Admissions at Cambridge are very much done so to an extent at the level of the individual colleges. Although there is a general consensus that applying or reapplying whilst at another university, especially one in the UK, with the intention of dropping out of your current course and going up to Cambridge is frowned upon, policies do differ by college.

Christ's, for instance, quite clearly outlines conditions under which an application from a current undergraduate student will be considered:
Photograph2.PNG
https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/how-apply-1/university

Queen's is representative of the more typical approach of parrotting the university line. However, it may provide some hope, substantiated or not, to know that the first sentence has been rephrased to sound considerably less dismissive and negative.
Photograph3.PNG
https://www.queens.cam.ac.uk/applying-here/undergraduates/faqs

There are signs at the university level that it is not impossible:
Photograph1.PNG
Of course, this can also be understood as a polite means by which to say 'your application will not be considered, so don't even bother'.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending