The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

First two years

Hi guys,

I'm looking to apply to Edinburgh this autumn to do either engineering or physics. One thing that interests me about Edinburgh is the course structure. The website claims that during my first year, I would be able to do a bit of exploration regarding my degree through taking modules from different fields.

I find the website rather vague explaining this structure and was wondering if anyone who has studied at Edinburgh could help me understand how this works.

Aside from science, I have a passion for history, especially American history. Could I take a course on American history during my first year or is that too far removed from the degree I applied for?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by tigersgd
Hi guys,

I'm looking to apply to Edinburgh this autumn to do either engineering or physics. One thing that interests me about Edinburgh is the course structure. The website claims that during my first year, I would be able to do a bit of exploration regarding my degree through taking modules from different fields.

I find the website rather vague explaining this structure and was wondering if anyone who has studied at Edinburgh could help me understand how this works.

Aside from science, I have a passion for history, especially American history. Could I take a course on American history during my first year or is that too far removed from the degree I applied for?

Thanks in advance!

No experience of Edinburgh, but I had a look at their Physics course.

On http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/21-22/dpt/utphysb.htm
it says that in year 1 you take 40 credits and in year 2 20-40 credits from modules in Schedules A-Q, T, W and Y. If you follow that link you will find those schedules cover subjects such as History and Divinity as well as sciences.

Therefore it looks as though you can study a few modules in eg American History in the first two years. Whether you should do so is entirely another matter.

I didn't look at Engineering.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
No experience of Edinburgh, but I had a look at their Physics course.

On http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/21-22/dpt/utphysb.htm
it says that in year 1 you take 40 credits and in year 2 20-40 credits from modules in Schedules A-Q, T, W and Y. If you follow that link you will find those schedules cover subjects such as History and Divinity as well as sciences.

Therefore it looks as though you can study a few modules in eg American History in the first two years. Whether you should do so is entirely another matter.

I didn't look at Engineering.

Thank you for your help.
I would also add here that all courses you could choose would depend on timetabling too. It's absolutely possible that you could take history courses, but if they clash with your main courses then you won't be able too. Equally, engineering or physics are more likely to have classes at Kings Building, which is a slight trek from George Square which is where history would be.

So it is possible, but there are some logistical things that could come up in the way. I'd advise going into it with it as a preferred option, but don't expect to be able to do it so that you aren't let down. (I had my heart set on a particular option module when I joined but it clashed with my main module's lecture so I couldn't do it. Since I didn't really have a plan B that was stressful to figure out in Fresher's week).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending