The Student Room Group

Confused about representations of place topic

What is the Geo-located data and geo-spatial data and what is the difference between them? And any examples...I am revising but this is one section of the topic I am confused about because our teacher didn't really go through it with us and there is not much in the textbook.
This is for changing places btw
I could be incorrect, but I think geospatial is when it's the (physical) statistical representation of a place/thing (e.g postcodes or city/town). Whereas, geolocational is a bit more complicated, in the fact that it encompasses the location of something, specifically taken from a technological device, using GPS (e.g phone). Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Lauren2611
I could be incorrect, but I think geospatial is when it's the (physical) statistical representation of a place/thing (e.g postcodes or city/town). Whereas, geolocational is a bit more complicated, in the fact that it encompasses the location of something, specifically taken from a technological device, using GPS (e.g phone). Hope that helps :smile:

Geolocated data refers to data that is collected and has a physical location attached to the medadata in the real world - such as an instagram picture with a tagged location, an exercise run recorded using strata etc. Geospatial data is more broad and refers to any data collected, transmitted, analysed etc that uses or combines data about physical features of the world to make new interpretations and constructions about the world from the perspective of the researcher. Someone may use a GPS tracker geolocate various sites across the transect of a sand dune, where the geospatial data is used to create assumptions about the zonation and distribution of species using the geolocated data for example.
Reply 3
Original post by Lauren2611

thank you so much!
Reply 4
Original post by Ðeggs
Geolocated data refers to data that is collected and has a physical location attached to the medadata in the real world - such as an instagram picture with a tagged location, an exercise run recorded using strata etc. Geospatial data is more broad and refers to any data collected, transmitted, analysed etc that uses or combines data about physical features of the world to make new interpretations and constructions about the world from the perspective of the researcher. Someone may use a GPS tracker geolocate various sites across the transect of a sand dune, where the geospatial data is used to create assumptions about the zonation and distribution of species using the geolocated data for example.

that makes much more sense - thank you! Would IMD be considered geospatial data?
Reply 5
Original post by aj_48
that makes much more sense - thank you! Would IMD be considered geospatial data?

The Index of Multiple Deprivation (which I assume you mean) has an inherently spatial element and the data is geolocated and visualised using GIS software, so yes I would consider it as geospatial data.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending