The Student Room Group

Civil Service Cyber Security Apprenticeship - Interview Prep: Help please!

Hi all,

I've been working for a few years with no real direction and decided to change that last month when I applied for the CS CyberSec level 4 apprenticeship.

Despite having next to no experience in the field (I worked part time on an IT Helpdesk for a while and did a little bit of web design, which I've mostly forgotten, about 5yrs ago), I've been invited to attend a 'strength based' video interview before 10th June '21. If I pass this, I'll be invited to an assessment centre.

Would anyone with experience of (1) CyberSec interviews and/or (2) Civil Service strength-based interviews be able to give me some advice or tips on the types of questions I can expect and should prepare for, please?

Also, if there's anything you recommend I read so that I can talk about it at interview to demonstrate experience/knowledge/understanding of the field, that would be helpful too.

Obviously I don't want to mislead them about my experience, that would just backfire later in the process if/when I'm quizzed on something I mentioned earlier. Rather, I just want to be able to demonstrate that I know enough to move to the assessment centre and then I can use the ~4 weeks between now and then to learn a couple of things in a bit more detail (e.g. I've begun learning Python).

Thanks everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Just wondering if you knew what the application feedback score was out of?
Original post by ws16551123
Just wondering if you knew what the application feedback score was out of?

Hey, presumably you applied for this programme too? Are you video interviewing?

I don’t know how they calculated the scores. They just gave me a number with no context. It would be great if someone else who knew could advise…
Original post by username_unknown
Hey, presumably you applied for this programme too? Are you video interviewing?

I don’t know how they calculated the scores. They just gave me a number with no context. It would be great if someone else who knew could advise…

Yes in a similar situation to you, I have no knowledge of cyber and teaching myself a bit of python, also not sure about what to expect from the video interviews. I scored 8 and have no idea what this means.
Cool. So I scored 10 but I’m sure the number of possible points available is higher because applications were initially sifted on qualifications/practical experience and I forgot to include my qualifications, only writing about my practical experience (which isn’t much!).

I’m surprised we haven’t been able to find more info on this since they are 30 apprenticeship positions available. I imagine there would be many applicants.

I suggest we use the CS success profiles and strengths dictionary, get Googling and get as much prep in before the interview deadline!

Best of luck to you and maybe we can keep in touch to see how it goes for us.
Reply 5
Hi there,

I got my score as 10 as well. I'm not sure what it means but I'm also on the interview stage too! I think this interview will use the STAR Method as they are mostly looking at behavioural questions. That's what I'm going with anyways.

Good Luck to you all.
Original post by ray_U
Hi there,

I got my score as 10 as well. I'm not sure what it means but I'm also on the interview stage too! I think this interview will use the STAR Method as they are mostly looking at behavioural questions. That's what I'm going with anyways.

Good Luck to you all.

Hey, well done on being shortlisted:-)

I agree STAR is the best way to answer the questions and will be using this method too!

Btw, I think I have worked out the scoring system - at the bottom of the application update email we received it says the following:

“Please note candidates will not receive a score for the 1st technical question at sift as this was not marked and was only used to collect qualification/eligibility information. Candidates will only receive 2 scores for the motivational questions. Please be aware that feedback is not given at this stage of the application process.”

The Civil Service mark interview questions from 1-7, where 1 = competency not demonstrated and 7= outstanding demonstration. Therefore, receiving “2 scores for the motivational questions” would mean we’re being marked out of 14 possible points.
Reply 7
Original post by ToastNWL
Hi Guys, Yeah it seems the application process was scored out of 14, I believe the 'minimum' passing rate on each question is 4 points = 8 points in total so congratulations :smile:Have any of you sat the video interview yet? Im wondering on what questions will be asked as I'm recording mine tomorrow.What location have you guys applied for?Best of luck!

Hey, well done on being shortlisted:-)

I agree STAR is the best way to answer the questions and will be using this method too!

Btw, I think I have worked out the scoring system - at the bottom of the application update email we received it says the following:

“Please note candidates will not receive a score for the 1st technical question at sift as this was not marked and was only used to collect qualification/eligibility information. Candidates will only receive 2 scores for the motivational questions. Please be aware that feedback is not given at this stage of the application process.”

The Civil Service mark interview questions from 1-7, where 1 = competency not demonstrated and 7= outstanding demonstration. Therefore, receiving “2 scores for the motivational questions” would mean we’re being marked out of 14 possible points.

Hi Guys,

Yes it seems the application process was scored of out 14, I believe the 'minimum' passing rate on each question is 4 points = 8 points in total so congratulations :smile:

Have any of you sat the video interview yet? I'm wondering on what questions will be asked

What location have you guys applied for?

Best of luck!
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi Guys,

Yes it seems the application process was scored of out 14, I believe the 'minimum' passing rate on each question is 4 points = 8 points in total so congratulations :smile:

Have any of you sat the video interview yet? I'm wondering on what questions will be asked

Best of luck!

Hey,

Not sat the interview yet as I’m wanting to take time to prepare. I’d suggest searching for typical strength-based interview questions to get a flavour for what could be asked.

I’ve applied for London. You?

Good luck 🤞
Reply 9
Hi Guys,

Best of luck!

Hi There,

I have not sat the interview yet as I'm just going through every question they may ask.

I'm applying for Birmingham, Coventry or Telford.

Best of Luck to you all
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm applying for Manchester, hopefully preparing for the majority of strength questions and taking the STAR approach will pay off. Taking my video interview either later today or tomorrow
Reply 11
I'm applying for Manchester, hopefully preparing for the majority of strength questions and taking the STAR approach will pay off. Taking my video interview either later today or tomorrow

Good idea and good luck to you!
Original post by ray_U
Good idea and good luck to you!

and you! :smile:
Reply 13
and you! :smile:

Has anyone sat the interview yet? Just wondering how it went. Good Luck to all!
I sat mine a few days ago and messed up a few questions at the start but overall it wasnt too bad. The questions were fairly easy but the whole video interview and speaking to a camera is a bit off-putting lol.
Finally sat mine today. It wasn’t a great performance, I needed to prepare more but it was good to experience a ‘strength-based’ interview as these questions are increasingly popular with employers now so it was good practice.
Reply 16
Finally sat mine today. It wasn’t a great performance, I needed to prepare more but it was good to experience a ‘strength-based’ interview as these questions are increasingly popular with employers now so it was good practice.

Honestly same! I did quiet poorly. I was not expecting these type of questions. Need more practice
ah man didnt do STAR method on the q's not sure how to squeeze that in for lots of them
Reply 18
Original post by ws16551123
ah man didnt do STAR method on the q's not sure how to squeeze that in for lots of them

Honestly same! I thought the questions would be similar as "What motivates you" "How are u energized" or "Tell me how u see the bigger picture". It was mostly agree and disagree questions. Honestly when this comes up next year I'm going to study extra hard and be more prepared.
Yeah, I was quite thrown by all the ‘do you agree or disagree’ questions too. I really wasn’t expecting those! It’s definitely a different style of interview I’m not used to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending