The Student Room Group

Civil Service Cyber Security Apprenticeship - Interview Prep: Help please!

Scroll to see replies

didnt make it pals but all the best to all of u !
Reply 21
Original post by ws16551123
didnt make it pals but all the best to all of u !

Same here, Best of luck to all who passed! Don't worry though, there is always next year :wink:
Reply 22
Hi, my first post on this thread. I have made it to the final stage of this cybersecurity apprenticeship application process and it has been one hell of a process thus far. Sorry to those who did not make it, keep your eyes peeled for further cyber security apprenticeships coming up, I am aware the Home office are due to open up this same opportunity next year. Also, QA apprenticeships usually post vacancies as well see the following link, check regularly- https://www.qa.com/learners/become-an-apprentice/apprenticeships-vacancies/.

In regards to this application process, I have to complete the written exercise by the 4th of July. Have my interview at 9am on the 5th of July. So preparing my presentation and answers to the four civil service behaviours questions using the STAR method. Anyone else make it to the final stage?
Hi @Emo94, I made it to the final stage as well :smile: what score did you get on your interview?
Reply 24
Original post by CCooper1991
Hi @Emo94, I made it to the final stage as well :smile: what score did you get on your interview?

Hi @CCooper1991 congratulations! Hopefully we both hear good news on the W/C 26/07/21! I did the assessment centre interview yesterday morning, have not got a score for that yet. But for the video interview I scored 24 (don’t ask me what it’s out of though haha). Have you attended the assessment centre yet?
Original post by emo94
Hi @CCooper1991 congratulations! Hopefully we both hear good news on the W/C 26/07/21! I did the assessment centre interview yesterday morning, have not got a score for that yet. But for the video interview I scored 24 (don’t ask me what it’s out of though haha). Have you attended the assessment centre yet?

Congratulations to you too! I scored a 27 but no idea what it was out of either :smile: which location have you applied for? I have applied for Sheffield.
I have don't the assessment centre, I found it difficult and was very close to running out of time! How did you find it?
Reply 26
Congratulations to you too! I scored a 27 but no idea what it was out of either :smile: which location have you applied for? I have applied for Sheffield.
I have don't the assessment centre, I found it difficult and was very close to running out of time! How did you find it?

I guess it doesn’t matter now, as long as we got through to the final stage! But I would love to know how they mark it out of general curiosity. I have applied for London. But if there is no enough roles available I will consider moving to maybe Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester or Newcastle. So I’m starting to save up just in case.

Honestly, in regards to the assessment centre I think I rushed things. But I’m confident I did well enough. But could’ve answered some questions in more detail. Fingers crossed we both did enough to get through. I’m more concerned about my written exercise, how did you find that task?
Original post by emo94
I guess it doesn’t matter now, as long as we got through to the final stage! But I would love to know how they mark it out of general curiosity. I have applied for London. But if there is no enough roles available I will consider moving to maybe Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester or Newcastle. So I’m starting to save up just in case.

Honestly, in regards to the assessment centre I think I rushed things. But I’m confident I did well enough. But could’ve answered some questions in more detail. Fingers crossed we both did enough to get through. I’m more concerned about my written exercise, how did you find that task?

Yeah the written exercise was hard I think (that was the assessment centre bit wasn't it?) The one where we had to write the report
Reply 28
Yeah the written exercise was hard I think (that was the assessment centre bit wasn't it?) The one where we had to write the report

As a whole the assessment centre is the written exercise which we all had to complete before the 4th of July, the presentation and virtual interview which are both held at the same time in a 1hr30 slot you book. All virtual interviews/presentations are being held this week and the next week. Have you booked your slot for the virtual interview and presentation?
Original post by emo94
As a whole the assessment centre is the written exercise which we all had to complete before the 4th of July, the presentation and virtual interview which are both held at the same time in a 1hr30 slot you book. All virtual interviews/presentations are being held this week and the next week. Have you booked your slot for the virtual interview and presentation?

Yes I'm booked in for 16th at 3.30pm I think :smile: pretty nervous to be honest! How are you feeling?
Reply 30
Yes I'm booked in for 16th at 3.30pm I think :smile: pretty nervous to be honest! How are you feeling?

Trust me, don’t be. I’ve already done my presentation and interview yesterday. They don’t want you to fail so they will repeat questions if you need them to or will wait for you to think before you answer questions. Probably the most at ease I’ve felt with this whole process at this final stage. Good luck! Update us on how it went here after all is said and done.
Original post by emo94
Trust me, don’t be. I’ve already done my presentation and interview yesterday. They don’t want you to fail so they will repeat questions if you need them to or will wait for you to think before you answer questions. Probably the most at ease I’ve felt with this whole process at this final stage. Good luck! Update us on how it went here after all is said and done.

That's brilliant thank you for letting me know! Sorry I didn't realise interviees had started, I booked mine in for the latest slot I could find :biggrin: need to get Power point working for my presentation now !!
I'll keep you updated :smile:
Morning everyone,

I've finished all stages of the application and interview process now. I've been told I won't get feedback until the 26th so it's a long old waiting game.

From what I've gathered so far, the scoring system is:

Application scored out of 14 (2 motivational questions marked out of 7)
Strength based interview scored out of 24 (6 strengths marked out of 4) so I'm unsure how someone managed to get 27
Assessment centre score out of 28 (4 behaviours marked out of 7)
I'm not sure if the numerical and verbal reasoning will impact your score.
Total score: 66
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I've found when researching successful profiles.

I've applied for Newcastle. Good luck to everyone!

So far I've scored:
81% on verbal reasoning
99% on numerical reasoning
8 on application feedback
24 on strength based interview
Reply 33
Original post by Liamo996
Morning everyone,

I've finished all stages of the application and interview process now. I've been told I won't get feedback until the 26th so it's a long old waiting game.

Strength based interview scored out of 24 (6 strengths marked out of 4) so I'm unsure how someone managed to get 27
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I've found when researching successful profiles.

So far I've scored:
81% on verbal reasoning

Morning,

I’m sure you are relieved to be done with this section of the process, I know I was. How did you feel the interview went?

From what I saw in regards to interview dates and times 50 people were invited to this final stage interview/assessment centre. As I’m sure you are aware there are 30 vacancies or places available so the odds may be in our favour. Especially if some people don’t attend the interview or have not asked for permission from their civil service department to apply before they did if applying internally.

I’ve already taken a leap of faith and resigned from my civil service department 😅. So this is make or break for me. If not, got to get searching for other opportunities.

How did you find the written exercise we had to submit prior to attending the interview?
Original post by emo94
Morning,

I’m sure you are relieved to be done with this section of the process, I know I was. How did you feel the interview went?

From what I saw in regards to interview dates and times 50 people were invited to this final stage interview/assessment centre. As I’m sure you are aware there are 30 vacancies or places available so the odds may be in our favour. Especially if some people don’t attend the interview or have not asked for permission from their civil service department to apply before they did if applying internally.

I’ve already taken a leap of faith and resigned from my civil service department 😅. So this is make or break for me. If not, got to get searching for other opportunities.

How did you find the written exercise we had to submit prior to attending the interview?

I felt that my presentation may not have hit the specification as the first question I was asked afterward was the title of the presentation. I answered the questions as best as I could but my mind was fried after giving the presentation so I have no idea if I've done well or not. The written exercise wasn't too bad. I didn't make all the points I would have liked to but managed to give a decent write up of the products and my recommendation. How do you feel you got on?
Reply 35
I felt that my presentation may not have hit the specification as the first question I was asked afterward was the title of the presentation. I answered the questions as best as I could but my mind was fried after giving the presentation so I have no idea if I've done well or not. The written exercise wasn't too bad. I didn't make all the points I would have liked to but managed to give a decent write up of the products and my recommendation. How do you feel you got on?

The exact same thing happened to me now that I think about 🥲. They asked the exact same question after I completed the presentation so I may not have hit the mark myself as well. Now I’ve getting that tad bit more nervous.

After the presentation, I was shocked to find out I only had 6 minutes assigned to answer each civil service behaviour/question. That was not stated in the document(s) sent to us or not what I received anyway.

My written exercise was the worst part for me in this whole process. I reached a conclusion before time went up to ensure I at least was ‘delivering at pace’. But I didn’t produce a great report by any means. I guess we’ll have to wait and see. I’m keen to see the feedback on this assessment centre, I’ve definitely learnt a lot already from this process.
Original post by emo94
The exact same thing happened to me now that I think about 🥲. They asked the exact same question after I completed the presentation so I may not have hit the mark myself as well. Now I’ve getting that tad bit more nervous.

After the presentation, I was shocked to find out I only had 6 minutes assigned to answer each civil service behaviour/question. That was not stated in the document(s) sent to us or not what I received anyway.

My written exercise was the worst part for me in this whole process. I reached a conclusion before time went up to ensure I at least was ‘delivering at pace’. But I didn’t produce a great report by any means. I guess we’ll have to wait and see. I’m keen to see the feedback on this assessment centre, I’ve definitely learnt a lot already from this process.

To be honest the written exercise was designed to put us under pressure. I don't think it was meant to be a polished article as long as you hit the main points. just be confident and hope for the best! It sounds like you've done well in other areas and it's marked as a whole so stay positive! If you fancy a chat in more detail give me a message and I'll add you on facebook or instagram
Morning everyone,

So far I've scored:
81% on verbal reasoning

Apologies I got my scoring mixed up.

I scored the following:
75% verbal reasoning
90% numerical
Strength based interview - 23 (it's changed from 27)
Application feedback - 10

I have yet to do 2nd interview and presentation
Hi @emo94 and @Liamo996, interview late on Friday and I'm so nervous, booked literally the last slot possible!

How are you both feeling now you've had time to experience the post-interview comedown :smile:
Reply 39
@CCooper1991Hi @emo94 and @Liamo996, interview late on Friday and I'm so nervous, booked literally the last slot possible!

How are you both feeling now you've had time to experience the post-interview comedown :smile:

Hi @CCooper1991 honestly, I understand why you are nervous. These cyber security entry level positions are hard to come by and the civil service is a great place to work to gain a true in-depth understanding of the breadth and depth as well as importance of Cybersecurity and I think this role is only available every two years or so.

But, I guarantee you this step in the process is the easiest. Ensure you stick to time to answer the interview questions based on the civil service behaviours and also the time for the presentation. Ensure you answer the presentation questions and are clear.

I’m a bit more optimistic as people will withdraw their application, there are a variety of positions available and there is the possibility of being put on the reserve list if all does not goes well initially. Overall, I’m nervous as nervous gets, counting down the days till we find out if we got a place or not 🥲.

Good luck mate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending