The Student Room Group

Opinion on these Universities

What is your opinion or general perception of the following universities.

1. Swansea University
2. Staffordshire University
3. Coventry University

I am an international student and just want to get an idea of what people think of each of these universities. What is the first word that comes to your mind when you read the name of each good/bad/ok/average.
Reply 1
I think they're okay but I live in London and most people around me are applying to London unis so I'm uneducated on how good unis outside would be.
Hiya @r3566154 ! I'm a student at Staffordshire university and represent us so if you have any questions feel free to ask, especially some course specific ones! Staffordshire University is a lovely university, I quite enjoy being here as a part of the Games and VFX school which is highly rated across the world! Other things I like about the University as well as the area as it's definitely somewhere more affordable to live whilst still getting a great university experience and there is a great community in every part of the university. As well, I do know several international students who came here as well so you definitely wouldn't be alone in that aspect! I can't speak for the other two universities but they will have their own Student Room forums that you might be able to get some specific information from them!

Once again, if you have any questions feel free to reply here or message me as well! Thanks :biggrin:

-Rhys (He/Him)

Original post by r3566154

1. Swansea University
3. Coventry University

I am an international student and just want to get an idea of what people think of each of these universities. What is the first word that comes to your mind when you read the name of each good/bad/ok/average.
Reply 3
@RhysReyn- Staffs Uni Student Ambassador Thank You for answering. Do you know if the university has decided if the next semester is going to be in person teaching or blended learning. If not, is there some date by which they are expected to decide it?

Also how has your experience been during the last year with online learning. Is the university handling it well.

1. Swansea University
3. Coventry University

They're okay. They're not the best but would get you a decent degree. From hearing other people's advice I would avoid Coventry university.
@RhysReyn- Staffs Uni Student Ambassador Thank You for answering. Do you know if the university has decided if the next semester is going to be in person teaching or blended learning. If not, is there some date by which they are expected to decide it?

Also how has your experience been during the last year with online learning. Is the university handling it well.

Hiya again! So, my experience with online learning was pretty decent! We used a mix of Microsoft Team lectures, Blackboard and the Digital Academy forums. All of these worked really well together and so i felt like I still had excellent lectures and teaching during this year. We even did life drawing classes virtually! As well, I did actually manage to attend some in person life drawing classes and I believe some other courses also had the ability for on campus classes if they were vital for the course.

As for next year, I believe nothing is fully confirmed just yet. I was told by my own lecturer to expect to possibly have a system of online lectures one week then on campus one the next to start with to ensure reduced numbers in lectures whilst trying to do some in person ones. However, this may be course dependent on things like your course size as well as the Government advice. As far as I am aware, nothing will be confirmed till August/September as there is still the possibility of the government advice changing. The current system means that if you do come on campus you are expected to take weekly covid tests (Though, as a large quantity of student will likely come back with their vaccinations completed I'm not sure if this will still be required,) To keep updated on it, I would check the Staffs website here regularly to see when the guidance changes; https://www.staffs.ac.uk/coronavirus

Hope this helps! Thanks, Rhys
(He/Him)
Reply 6
Original post by Nobalitude
They're okay. They're not the best but would get you a decent degree. From hearing other people's advice I would avoid Coventry university.

I understand they are not best. I don't have good grades in my bachelors degree to get in the universities really at the very top of the table I believe my degree is 2:2.

Could you share some info on why to avoid Coventry university. What have you heard about them? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by RhysReyn- Staffs Uni Student Ambassador
Hiya again! So, my experience with online learning was pretty decent! We used a mix of Microsoft Team lectures, Blackboard and the Digital Academy forums. All of these worked really well together and so i felt like I still had excellent lectures and teaching during this year. We even did life drawing classes virtually! As well, I did actually manage to attend some in person life drawing classes and I believe some other courses also had the ability for on campus classes if they were vital for the course.

As for next year, I believe nothing is fully confirmed just yet. I was told by my own lecturer to expect to possibly have a system of online lectures one week then on campus one the next to start with to ensure reduced numbers in lectures whilst trying to do some in person ones. However, this may be course dependent on things like your course size as well as the Government advice. As far as I am aware, nothing will be confirmed till August/September as there is still the possibility of the government advice changing. The current system means that if you do come on campus you are expected to take weekly covid tests (Though, as a large quantity of student will likely come back with their vaccinations completed I'm not sure if this will still be required,) To keep updated on it, I would check the Staffs website here regularly to see when the guidance changes; https://www.staffs.ac.uk/coronavirus

Hope this helps! Thanks, Rhys
(He/Him)

Again thank you for answering. I totally understand that nothing can be confirmed and the situation can change anytime. I will wait until the end of the month to see how the situation changes especially after June 21st. If it looks like things are not getting better I will defer to January.

1. Swansea University
3. Coventry University

Hey @r3566154 :smile:

Hope you are well!

I work for the general enquiries team for admissions at Swansea University and also previously moved to Swansea as a student myself. The University is great and offers such a wide range of courses, lots of societies and sports clubs to get involved in too! What subject area are you interested in?
As for the city itself, it's such a beautiful place to live and offers so much variety. There are lots of places to explore; the beach, Mumbles, Gower peninsula and the Maritime quarter. A lot of students live in the Uplands area which has a local food market and places to eat, it's close to the beach, the main city centre, the University Singleton campus and parks too. As well as that, its a really affordable area to live as a student.

If you have any questions please feel free to message us at any point! :smile:

- Georgia, General Enquiries Admissions
Reply 9
@Swansea University Enquiries Thank you for your message. I applied for a Masters in Computer Science degree and already have an offer. I am more interested in knowing more about graduate employability, industry connections and the general opinion of people about the universities as I am not from the UK so wanted to know what do people there think of them.

The computing courses are taught at the new campus which is a few minutes drive from town right?

I did check a few videos and it does look like a really nice place to live with good affordable accommodation.
Reply 10

1. Swansea University
3. Coventry University

also check their open days to get an idea of each uni
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/open-days/?utm_source=ucas&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ucasproject&utm_content=junevod
@Swansea University Enquiries Thank you for your message. I applied for a Masters in Computer Science degree and already have an offer. I am more interested in knowing more about graduate employability, industry connections and the general opinion of people about the universities as I am not from the UK so wanted to know what do people there think of them.

The computing courses are taught at the new campus which is a few minutes drive from town right?

I did check a few videos and it does look like a really nice place to live with good affordable accommodation.

Hey again @r3566154 - Nice to hear you have an offer with us, that's great! :smile:

I can understand that! There is some information on the course webpage about the employment opportunities but feel free to email us at [email protected] and we'll be more than happy to pass this over to the course college for you! I've added the link for the course here anyway for you to have a look at! Computer Science MSc

Yes, this course is based at Bay Campus and has regular buses running between the campus and the town centre :smile:

Glad you have seen some videos of Swansea as its such a lovely place to live. As mentioned previously by @t0897, always worth attending an open day as its a great opportunity to gain further insight on the course itself and the uni!

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Georgia - General Enquiries, Admissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending