The Student Room Group

Which of these universities from my list in the UK is the best for me?

I am an international student, currently finished with me foundation studies (A-level equivalent if that's what you're looking for), and I am planning to further my undergrad studies with my buddy within 2024.

We have submitted our UCAS application in these 5 unis:
- University of Glasgow
- University of Sheffield
- University of Southampton
- Newcastle University
- Heriot-Watt University

There's multiple factors that ended up our minds for these 5 unis, but one of them is my grades.

I have tad bit of knowledge regarding UK school systems hence I do not know what this is equivalent to, but my friend and I used GPA systems for our pre-unis.

I got 3.45 GPA overall for 2 semesters and my friend got 3.80 (We pretty much took physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and English language as elective during our time there). Although we have yet to receive an offer from any of the universities (I submitted my application yesterday), we have our eyes locked to University of Glasgow due to its ranking. I am applying for its software engineering courses. So my questions is:

- Would it be hard for me to get in University of Glasgow, or any of the universities listed in general?
- UoG offers a 3 year programme for faster route compared to their normal 4 year programme, am I eligible to apply for that with my results? If I did get the 4 year programme instead, can I contact the university so that I can enroll for the 3 year programme instead?
- Are the universities in the list good? Which one is the best in your opinion? It would be nice to enlighten us more about them.
- Is it worth it for me to enroll for the 4 year programme? If so, why?
UK wise it would be Southampton, Newcastle and Glasgow in that order if ranking is important (It is not, it does not make any difference). Go to whatever locations you find nicer and who has the preferred modules.
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
UK wise it would be Southampton, Newcastle and Glasgow in that order if ranking is important (It is not, it does not make any difference). Go to whatever locations you find nicer and who has the preferred modules.

I see, another reason why I leaned more towards Glasgow is due to the fact that its closer to a big city so that we get to experience the city vibes. Also Glasgow ranked highly among others (#76 in QS World Ranking) but you stated that it does not matter. Although, yeah, I get what you mean.
Original post by AverageStuden
I see, another reason why I leaned more towards Glasgow is due to the fact that its closer to a big city so that we get to experience the city vibes. Also Glasgow ranked highly among others (#76 in QS World Ranking) but you stated that it does not matter. Although, yeah, I get what you mean.

QS rankings are contingent on research output and academic opinion, whoopi. Could be helpful for postgraduate though by taking a research based degree, but completely useless for an undergraduate. You should probably be less concerned with the rankings as opinion is heavily swayed by a confirmation bias, people will simply choose the information that reinforces their opinions, while avoiding any opposing arguments.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending