The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

University of sussex- Virtual interview

I have been invited to attend a virtual interview for University of sussex.

Firstly, I’ve never had a virtual interview in my life. I’m a mature student and have only ever had face to face interviews which I find a lot more comfortable. Can anyone offer advice for me? What to expect? What should I wear. Etc.
Original post by KingRich
I have been invited to attend a virtual interview for University of sussex.

Firstly, I’ve never had a virtual interview in my life. I’m a mature student and have only ever had face to face interviews which I find a lot more comfortable. Can anyone offer advice for me? What to expect? What should I wear. Etc.

Hello @KingRich,

I would advise wearing something comfortable but smart-casual.

From my own experience attending university interviews, I have been asked questions like "why do you want to study this course?", "why do you want to study at our university?" etc. The interviewers will be assessing whether you are prepared for university life and study, so it would be important to keep that in mind.

I would not worry too much about having the virtual interview, but make sure your audio is properly set up before so there are no technical difficulties during the interview. I would advise asking for a friend or family to do a practice virtual interview so you know that everything is working.

I have found some resources which you may find helpful for preparing for the interview:
Preparing for a university interview
Tips for virtual interviews

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
Erica (3rd Year Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Student)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps
Hello @KingRich,

I would advise wearing something comfortable but smart-casual.

From my own experience attending university interviews, I have been asked questions like "why do you want to study this course?", "why do you want to study at our university?" etc. The interviewers will be assessing whether you are prepared for university life and study, so it would be important to keep that in mind.

I would not worry too much about having the virtual interview, but make sure your audio is properly set up before so there are no technical difficulties during the interview. I would advise asking for a friend or family to do a practice virtual interview so you know that everything is working.

I have found some resources which you may find helpful for preparing for the interview:
Preparing for a university interview
Tips for virtual interviews

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Hi Erica,

Thank you for the message however, my interview was 3 days ago. Lol

I did my homework and considered what the university may ask me. I was a little nervous on the days leading up but I think I may have used all that nervous energy up because on the day I was completely relaxed.

The questions asked were different to the usual that I’d found online. I believe because I am a mature student, the questions were tailored to me as an individual.

The interview was very relaxed and I enjoyed it and the interviewer’s company, so much that the initial interview was only meant roughly half an hour but it ended after an hour and a half.

Unless the interviewer has a fantastic poker face, he seemed genuinely impressed by the answers to the technical questions that he asked in relation to the course.
Hello @KingRich,

I apologise for not responding sooner. I'm glad to hear that your interview went well!
If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Kind Regards,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending