The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Jassameen
Well! i went to the uni of london open day

I went to that too! Not the one just gone, but the year before. One of the most half-arsed open days I've had the misfortune to visit. I checked the program a while in advance and there was a HoA talk scheduled given by a Goldsmiths tutor. So bought my (£40!!!!) train ticket, got down there, sat in the lecture theatre waiting for 20 minutes then some guy eventually came waltzing in, announcing the talk was cancelled. Urrrrgh. The people from the goldsmiths stand took pity on me and hurried me off to the campus where I got a personal tour, albeit from a languages student. We weren't even allowed into the Art's building. Got KB'd by some bloke in a dicky bow. I'm afraid the whole experience put me off rather. Then I nearly got fined for not having a valid travelcard for the zone I was in.

A great day had by all...
Reply 181
oh no that sucks!
In all honesty it did suck majorly, it was only pizza express with my best friend afterwards that made it worth it!
However i did go to the Courtauld open day and that was really good!!!
I can see why that Goldsmiths tutor put you off!! The personal tour should have been good....it was the UCL tour guides that pissed me off! They took me to departments i'd never need to visit in my life, and then didn't take me to the HoA department cause it was 'quite a walk'! I was seriously peeved!!! But made do talking to the tutors there and making them suffer by telling them my life story and asking them whether or not i was a suitable candidate or not! When the UCL woman told me my subjects were perfect i was well chuffed and it made my day!!
Courtauld was defo better though, ALOT BETTER! Met some really nice people too!
WoooooHoooooo more help!
Here comes the list of never ending questions!!!!
where else did you apply?
how are you finding HoA at the moment?
what are you studying this year?
tips for interviews?

sorry about this- i'm rediculously nervous and i'm pretty much going overdrive!

gracias!
Jasmine
x

Hey Jasmine

I got into Sussex, Bristol, Manchester and Aberystwyth (dont ask why!) and obv Leeds.

Well I really love the course, because its so varied which is good for me as I get bored very easily! Its not a doss, like some people assume its going to be, Its challenging enough to make you work hard but its not impossible. Its not, what I would call 'traditional' like a few other uni's history of art courses where its a bit old school and they tell you what to think, at Leeds they make you question everything they teach you which by the end should result in everyone being really individually minded Art historians, instead of being clones.

History of Art at Leeds is recognised as one of the most academic courses in the country and is very well respected. The lecturers are all really inspiring and really passionate about the subject which I think projects onto the general feel of the department. there are 2 sections to the course, there is 'A Story of art?' for which we have 2 lectures a week and a seminar, and that sort of loosely follows Gombrich's book a Story of Art, so we have a diff topic each week. then the other section is Elements of Visual culture, which we have one seminar a week for, but a whole bunch of reading and so far 2 beasty essays this semester. But its more about the theory and philosophy behind art, its a bit complicated but really interesting.

Tips for interviews, you could check out my post on another forum, called interviews at leeds or something. But just be yourself really, make sure you know what you put in your personal statement, and have a clear idea of why you want to do history of art and maybe do a bit of swatting up on Leeds and what areas of art history you enjoy. I was stupidly nervous about the interview and was looking for ages on the internet for interview tips and there was NOTHING! everyone else is in the same boat so just be yourself that's all you can do! not what you want to here but true!

Leeds is a great City too, loads of really good clubs and bars and shopping! there are about 5 other unis in the city so everything is really student orientated. Uni as a whole is great too, loads of good gigs in the union and a good vibe about the place. I wouldn't wish to be anywhere else!

hope that helps

Cleo X
Reply 183
Cleo!!
Thank you so much!
Leeds sounds really great, i didn't actually apply there...but one things for sure, if i don't get into any of my choices and i go through clearing (which i hope with all my might that i don't), i will defo be looking into Leeds. I would actually prefer that kind of course where you have to question everything, it's the reason why i decided to take HoA in the first place, because it is individual thoughts, experiences and outlooks that mould your understanding and perception of art. It's the same with literature, but i'm more of a visually stimulated person!!!!
Thank you agains so much for the advice!!
Jasmine
x
So I've applied to Bristol, UCL, CSM, Courtauld and Birmingham. Kind of regretting Courtauld because its very competitive and so is Bristol and UCL. Anyone know the stats on Courtauld? Like 1/10 chance of getting in or something like that? And does interview at Courtauld mean you're seriously being considered or are they interviewing anyone?
I am scared! I want to at least get in SOMEWHERE lol
Reply 185
i think courtauld is less competitive than cambridge, but more than any other uni. they interview app. 130 people for 50 or so places. so 40% or so get in. my math is bad, but i think it the figure is about right.
Reply 186
RadiantJewel
And does interview at Courtauld mean you're seriously being considered or are they interviewing anyone?

Jeez i hope so!! I got my invitation for an interview on the 12th! When is your interview? Mine is on the 21st...i'm already freaking out!
RadiantJewel
So I've applied to Bristol, UCL, CSM, Courtauld and Birmingham. Kind of regretting Courtauld because its very competitive and so is Bristol and UCL. Anyone know the stats on Courtauld? Like 1/10 chance of getting in or something like that? And does interview at Courtauld mean you're seriously being considered or are they interviewing anyone?

How are you getting on with your CSM app? My interview's on the 27th - had a bit of a nightmare with it as I had an exam on the same day and CSM told me that was simply too bad, and if I didn't attend I'd not get a place! :eek:

Did they ask you to actually send your work in before the interview? I think I am supposed to take mine with me!
Just starting on the submissions essay but finding it very hard not to just repeat everything that I wrote in my personal statement!

I'm getting worried about UCL too! I think the stats are about as ridiculous as the Courtauld...!
Shelly from London
How are you getting on with your CSM app? My interview's on the 27th - had a bit of a nightmare with it as I had an exam on the same day and CSM told me that was simply too bad, and if I didn't attend I'd not get a place! :eek:

Did they ask you to actually send your work in before the interview? I think I am supposed to take mine with me!
Just starting on the submissions essay but finding it very hard not to just repeat everything that I wrote in my personal statement!

I'm getting worried about UCL too! I think the stats are about as ridiculous as the Courtauld...!

Hiya! I dont know when my interviews are, just submitted my application a few days ago because im at uni already so I needed some time to sort reference out and stuff. I seriously hope interview dates will be a little more flexible because I have a lot of essays/deadlines coming up :eek:

Do you have your interview date for UCL too? GOOD LUCK with your interviews:gthumb:
I am sure that an interview invitation means that you are very close to an offer if you show up
Is courtauld pronounced courtold?
Reply 190
corallie13
Is courtauld pronounced courtold?

lol yes, you have to say it in a chokey english accent!
Reply 191
Shelly from London

They said that!!! Thats ridiculous!!!!
And yeah, they told me to send answers to their questions and a piece of work a week after i received it....i did that just before the hols...and now they've invited me for an interview! But with your questions, it doesn't matter if you repeat what you say from your personal statement, look at it as your foundation, and you're building upon it! Getting a chance to expand your answers or say what you didn't get a chance to in your ps!
Good luck!
Jassameen
lol yes, you have to say it in a chokey english accent!

haha ...thanks 4 the reply i felt a bit silly asking:o:
Reply 193
lol....thats okay, i had to say it a few times before i really got it!! :biggrin:
Jassameen
lol....thats okay, i had to say it a few times before i really got it!! :biggrin:

good luck with your search im currently at manchester studying it and its great!
Reply 195
All this talk of UCL and the Courtauld. I sent my application mid December and haven't even received the questionnaire from the Courtauld yet.. Anyone else found this? I bail down to check the post every morning but it's always complete guff from window cleaners and the like. I wasn't bothered until today but it's suddenly dawned on me that people are getting interviews, UCAS deadline is approaching and I'm still in the lurch. Yelp.
Reply 196
Jassameen
Jeez i hope so!! I got my invitation for an interview on the 12th! When is your interview? Mine is on the 21st...i'm already freaking out!

mine is also on 21st!! and im freaking out !!! :biggrin:
Reply 197
oh i might see you there then! I'll be the only indian girl there!!!!!!
And fellow liverpool fan, it is not too late, they do take ages to get back to people....you should be fine!
In other news- UCL just rejected me!! I shake my fist at them!!!!!
Reply 198
Hey yet another person who has an interview on the 21st! im sooo nervous! how are you preparing? have you studied HoA before?!

as for UCL... join the club! i shake my fist at them too!!!

Katie x

Jassameen
And fellow liverpool fan, it is not too late, they do take ages to get back to people....you should be fine!
Reply 199
Jassameen

why did bastards reject you?!!! did you want an interview?!

im sure courtauld will take you! :smile:

and i might see you there! i will be the only serbo-gergian girl there, although not sure whether that helps :biggrin:

x

Latest

Trending

Trending