Reply 421
ItaFrancoUK
ah fair enough!
Would be ace if there were a few from Notts here considering its the 1st choice

I put leeds down as 2nd choice though hun
But completely loved the place
Nottingham just kind of edged it
how'd the interview go for you?

it went good! :smile: there was supposed to be like 5 or 6 in my group but only me and one other girl turned up! we had this lady interviewing us but she didnt really ask us a lot.. she was just obsessed with the fact that we both studied a language and she could send us abroad for a year.
how was your interview? mine was on the 28th Jan btw i dont know if you had an earlier one? but i noticed on my day that there werent many guys there only like 4 or 5.
i just looked at your academic info and was your offer actually BBB/ABC? cus my head of 6th form said they wouldnt take equivalent grades if i dropped to a C in a subject (german).
and i live near notts btw its a cool city :smile: i think now i should have probably applied there but its pretty close to me and i wanted to move further away :smile:
x
ldmoore1
it went good! :smile: there was supposed to be like 5 or 6 in my group but only me and one other girl turned up! we had this lady interviewing us but she didnt really ask us a lot.. she was just obsessed with the fact that we both studied a language and she could send us abroad for a year.
how was your interview? mine was on the 28th Jan btw i dont know if you had an earlier one? but i noticed on my day that there werent many guys there only like 4 or 5.
i just looked at your academic info and was your offer actually BBB/ABC? cus my head of 6th form said they wouldnt take equivalent grades if i dropped to a C in a subject (german).
and i live near notts btw its a cool city :smile: i think now i should have probably applied there but its pretty close to me and i wanted to move further away :smile:
x

Yea was it that Joanna? Blonde haired?
She seemed really ace as a lecturer, basically spoke about the city
Was fascinated that I was from London
I know though!
I was in my element, as like one of literally 3 guys in the entire room :o:
haha
Ahh I made a mistake there!
My Notts offer had an alternative condition of BBB with ABC as the primary conditions
Leeds is BBB but thing is, she said that if we miss a grade don't panic too much because if we get past the interview stage then we have a strong chance of getting in as long as we dont miss our grades by ridiculous amounts
they don't seem the type to reject if you get ABC instead of BBB though, but don't take my word on that haha
You put Manc as insurance though? I was not impressed with it at all. I literally set my heart on it, until I visited Notts, Leeds & Manc. Nottingham was just immense, and Leeds was just as good. Manchester they spent the majority of the 'open day' in that gallery of theirs, going through its history :confused:
Reply 423
ItaFrancoUK
Yea was it that Joanna? Blonde haired?
She seemed really ace as a lecturer, basically spoke about the city
Was fascinated that I was from London
I know though!
I was in my element, as like one of literally 3 guys in the entire room :o:
haha
Ahh I made a mistake there!
My Notts offer had an alternative condition of BBB with ABC as the primary conditions
Leeds is BBB but thing is, she said that if we miss a grade don't panic too much because if we get past the interview stage then we have a strong chance of getting in as long as we dont miss our grades by ridiculous amounts
they don't seem the type to reject if you get ABC instead of BBB though, but don't take my word on that haha
You put Manc as insurance though? I was not impressed with it at all. I literally set my heart on it, until I visited Notts, Leeds & Manc. Nottingham was just immense, and Leeds was just as good. Manchester they spent the majority of the 'open day' in that gallery of theirs, going through its history :confused:

haha yes you certainly made a mistake there, chosing Art History, a female dominated course :tongue:
i am actually so grateful to you right now! youve no idea how worried ive been about slipping a grade and the fact that the lecturer said that has made me so happy! woo!
and in all honesty i didnt actually go the the manchester art history day :tongue: ive only visited the uni once- the city is pretty cool, really big, got absolutely everything but i wasnt particularly taken by the uni either (even though its my insurance!)
basically i got offers from manchester, birmingham, leeds and york and was rejected from bristol (the cheek of it! :tongue:). i loved leeds, knew that was my first choice didnt want to go south so birmingham was crossed out so it was between york and manchester. i visited york and although its prestigous i didnt really like it :/ it was too 60's for me, wasnt really what i was looking for in a uni, not to mention everyone looked like they were from the 90's! (personal opinion i may be wrong!)
so manchester it was :smile: and i dont think id mind going there but i reaaaaally want to go to Leeds! i love it! :biggrin:
have you applied for accommodation at Leeds yet? i went for clarence dock :smile:
im really excited about starting lectures, its just so interesting! i got this book 'a story of art' by Gombrich which im going to read over the summer before uni starts but thats all im going to really. do you do art history a-level/ do you actually know tonnes about art history?
cus as a fine art student i know more about individual artists and their work rather than loads of facts!
:smile:
ldmoore1
haha yes you certainly made a mistake there, chosing Art History, a female dominated course :tongue:
i am actually so grateful to you right now! youve no idea how worried ive been about slipping a grade and the fact that the lecturer said that has made me so happy! woo!
and in all honesty i didnt actually go the the manchester art history day :tongue: ive only visited the uni once- the city is pretty cool, really big, got absolutely everything but i wasnt particularly taken by the uni either (even though its my insurance!)
basically i got offers from manchester, birmingham, leeds and york and was rejected from bristol (the cheek of it! :tongue:). i loved leeds, knew that was my first choice didnt want to go south so birmingham was crossed out so it was between york and manchester. i visited york and although its prestigous i didnt really like it :/ it was too 60's for me, wasnt really what i was looking for in a uni, not to mention everyone looked like they were from the 90's! (personal opinion i may be wrong!)
so manchester it was :smile: and i dont think id mind going there but i reaaaaally want to go to Leeds! i love it! :biggrin:
have you applied for accommodation at Leeds yet? i went for clarence dock :smile:
im really excited about starting lectures, its just so interesting! i got this book 'a story of art' by Gombrich which im going to read over the summer before uni starts but thats all im going to really. do you do art history a-level/ do you actually know tonnes about art history?
cus as a fine art student i know more about individual artists and their work rather than loads of facts!
:smile:

ahaha
no no
i made a mistake in regards to the grades
could never be a mistake being on a course with females everywhere :biggrin: :p:
ah I got rejected by Bristol as well. Wasn't too fond on the idea of going there though
really should have put down Leicester
I'm really worried though, because having a firm and insurance with the same grades is putting so much pressure on me it's horrendous
I will be panicking like a mad-man on the few days before results day!
but yea, i applied for Sutton Bonnington at Leeds. Obviously it's an insurance so there's no guarantee etc but did love the look and feel of Leeds and the uni.
Felt at home at Nottingham moreso though. Especially having spent a few nights at Manchester & Nottingham with friends already there, Nottingham was just immense. Manchester is just such a letdown. The city's nice, and the communal feel of the halls, especially Owens Park was ace, but taking everything into consideration, Notts & Leeds were doing it :cool:
My 6th form doesn't offer history of art which is gutting. But I just do straight-forward Art, so there's a reasonable amount of knowledge there, which can't be said for some! At the Nottingham open day a few people hadn't even done Art in any form for Alevel / GCSE which is kinda confusing. I mean, it's all very well that a degree is completely different, but it does really help if there's some knowledge on the subject at least!
My teacher recommended 'The Shock of the New' by Robert Hughes. Haven't come around to reading it yet due to exams but seems quite interesting. They did go on quite a bit about the Psychologist Freud at Leeds, depending on what modules you choose, could be quite handy to have a little read on some of his work.
Reply 425
ItaFrancoUK
ahaha
no no
i made a mistake in regards to the grades
could never be a mistake being on a course with females everywhere :biggrin: :p:
ah I got rejected by Bristol as well. Wasn't too fond on the idea of going there though
really should have put down Leicester
I'm really worried though, because having a firm and insurance with the same grades is putting so much pressure on me it's horrendous
I will be panicking like a mad-man on the few days before results day!
but yea, i applied for Sutton Bonnington at Leeds. Obviously it's an insurance so there's no guarantee etc but did love the look and feel of Leeds and the uni.
Felt at home at Nottingham moreso though. Especially having spent a few nights at Manchester & Nottingham with friends already there, Nottingham was just immense. Manchester is just such a letdown. The city's nice, and the communal feel of the halls, especially Owens Park was ace, but taking everything into consideration, Notts & Leeds were doing it :cool:
My 6th form doesn't offer history of art which is gutting. But I just do straight-forward Art, so there's a reasonable amount of knowledge there, which can't be said for some! At the Nottingham open day a few people hadn't even done Art in any form for Alevel / GCSE which is kinda confusing. I mean, it's all very well that a degree is completely different, but it does really help if there's some knowledge on the subject at least!
My teacher recommended 'The Shock of the New' by Robert Hughes. Haven't come around to reading it yet due to exams but seems quite interesting. They did go on quite a bit about the Psychologist Freud at Leeds, depending on what modules you choose, could be quite handy to have a little read on some of his work.

try having an insurance with a higher offer! :tongue: i feel really under pressure too :frown: for the last month i havent always been sleeping properly worrying about checking ucas on results day morning! :eek:
ive no idea how im going to cope the week before results day, aaah i can feel the nerves already!
my school doesnt offer art history a-level either :frown: have you finished your art course now? we finished last week.. just getting our work moderated in two weeks but all that involves is puting up the exhibition.
yeah i dont get people who apply who've never shown an interest in art before.. what would they have put in their personal statement? :s-smilie:
and ahh the shock of the new, my art department go on about that a lot i think they have the dvd version and book which they lend out to people, i referenced it for one of my essays. and we did a bit of Freud in english (it links to Shakespeare somehow- all the incestuous bits me thinks).
what a-level subjects are you studying?
ldmoore1
try having an insurance with a higher offer! :tongue: i feel really under pressure too :frown: for the last month i havent always been sleeping properly worrying about checking ucas on results day morning! :eek:
ive no idea how im going to cope the week before results day, aaah i can feel the nerves already!
my school doesnt offer art history a-level either :frown: have you finished your art course now? we finished last week.. just getting our work moderated in two weeks but all that involves is puting up the exhibition.
yeah i dont get people who apply who've never shown an interest in art before.. what would they have put in their personal statement? :s-smilie:
and ahh the shock of the new, my art department go on about that a lot i think they have the dvd version and book which they lend out to people, i referenced it for one of my essays. and we did a bit of Freud in english (it links to Shakespeare somehow- all the incestuous bits me thinks).
what a-level subjects are you studying?

tough choice that! the pressure is ridiculous. I'm on edge at the moment. Just 3 exams left but still ... :frown:
Apparently on results day you can find out whether you've gotten into your uni's at about 5/6 in the morning, well before you actually pick the results up from college / 6th form, so don't think i'll be sleeping that night!
yea i've finished the art course now, need to go in on the 18th and sort out my exhibition, but still have annotations and things to finish off in the sketchbooks
but that'll come after i've finished my history and business exams
how about you?
think my summer wont consist of much history of art reading to be fair, have a whole 3 years full of it :p:
do you think they might give us reading lists after we make our offers?
Reply 427
ItaFrancoUK
tough choice that! the pressure is ridiculous. I'm on edge at the moment. Just 3 exams left but still ... :frown:
Apparently on results day you can find out whether you've gotten into your uni's at about 5/6 in the morning, well before you actually pick the results up from college / 6th form, so don't think i'll be sleeping that night!
yea i've finished the art course now, need to go in on the 18th and sort out my exhibition, but still have annotations and things to finish off in the sketchbooks
but that'll come after i've finished my history and business exams
how about you?
think my summer wont consist of much history of art reading to be fair, have a whole 3 years full of it :p:
do you think they might give us reading lists after we make our offers?

i dont think ill sleep at all that night :p: but i think i might try cus itll be a reaaaally long day what with getting wasted n'al :p: tbh ill probs get ucas up and the leeds website pressing refresh! do you do any exams with edexcel, like history maybe? cus we got given these pin things that we can enter on the website the night before to find out our results with edexcel :smile:
i hope they give us reading lists, it'd be helpful, im scared theres going to be some people who are like super geniuses and know everything :P well that 'story of art' book by grombrich is apparantly what the history of art course at leeds is all based on so im deffo going to try and read that!
ive still got some final pieces to mount but thats about it, oh ive got to paint some clay stuff that i did aswell but thats all :smile:
how do you think your other exams are going to go? feeling confident?
oh and also do your art teachers tell you what grade youve got after moderation? i think ours will tell us (hopefully!)
yeah i dont get people who apply who've never shown an interest in art before.. what would they have put in their personal statement?

Showing an interest in an academic subject like HoA does not require studying practical art/design at A level. You can justify it by talking about enjoying analysis of texts in English, gaining an understanding of the importance of contexts in history and so on. It's also more important to talk about what interests you about art works or architecture you've experienced first hand, through visits to museums and exhibitions for example.
well that 'story of art' book by grombrich is apparantly what the history of art course at leeds is all based on

I doubt that very much. Gombrich is a useful introductory survey to the broad scope of the subject. But its approach of linear progression is regarded as very dated. At uni these days , HoA is a much wider subject than Gombrich could have imagined teaching at UCL in the 1950s.
ldmoore1
i dont think ill sleep at all that night :p: but i think i might try cus itll be a reaaaally long day what with getting wasted n'al :p: tbh ill probs get ucas up and the leeds website pressing refresh! do you do any exams with edexcel, like history maybe? cus we got given these pin things that we can enter on the website the night before to find out our results with edexcel :smile:
i hope they give us reading lists, it'd be helpful, im scared theres going to be some people who are like super geniuses and know everything :P well that 'story of art' book by grombrich is apparantly what the history of art course at leeds is all based on so im deffo going to try and read that!
ive still got some final pieces to mount but thats about it, oh ive got to paint some clay stuff that i did aswell but thats all :smile:
how do you think your other exams are going to go? feeling confident?
oh and also do your art teachers tell you what grade youve got after moderation? i think ours will tell us (hopefully!)

i know i'm worrying already
none of my exams are under edexcel, actually scrap that, i think my Art is, but don't think our school have registered for online results. Either way, i'll either be miserable or quite possibly the happiest i've been in a fair while :o:
ahh don't mention clay to me. I spent an absolute age using clay, it literally took up a horrendous amount of time .. which was then followed by making 15 lifesized mod-rock torsos :rolleyes: haha. I don't really do things in half measures; pretty much like my nights out .. either have to get completely drunk or not go out :p: completely into the uni way of life already .. it's as if i've been made for university :cool: haha
hope the exams will go ok. Had 1 last tuesday which was a bit so-so; panicking about the grade abit but history you can never really tell how well it went unless you were completely off the ball with your points. Just going to have to wait and see but not confident. Another History to go on thursday ; Civil rights paper - 120 years ... lovely :frown: then business which, touch wood, i'll be ok at.
How many have been / coming for you?
Umm, not sure about the art grade, i might try and get the teacher to hint at what i've got ; in need of that A lol
Reply 430
ItaFrancoUK
i know i'm worrying already
none of my exams are under edexcel, actually scrap that, i think my Art is, but don't think our school have registered for online results. Either way, i'll either be miserable or quite possibly the happiest i've been in a fair while :o:
ahh don't mention clay to me. I spent an absolute age using clay, it literally took up a horrendous amount of time .. which was then followed by making 15 lifesized mod-rock torsos :rolleyes: haha. I don't really do things in half measures; pretty much like my nights out .. either have to get completely drunk or not go out :p: completely into the uni way of life already .. it's as if i've been made for university :cool: haha
hope the exams will go ok. Had 1 last tuesday which was a bit so-so; panicking about the grade abit but history you can never really tell how well it went unless you were completely off the ball with your points. Just going to have to wait and see but not confident. Another History to go on thursday ; Civil rights paper - 120 years ... lovely :frown:: then business which, touch wood, i'll be ok at.
How many have been / coming for you?
Umm, not sure about the art grade, i might try and get the teacher to hint at what i've got ; in need of that A lol

ive done my retakes already, i retook all of the AS german modules, i need all the marks i can get! i have my final german exam on monday which is the big one and its reaaaally hard :frown: then i have a shakespeare and larkin paper on wednesday and an austen and unseen poetry exam the following thursday.
do you do general studies at your school/college? we're forced to. we did a paper yesterday which was quite amusing as it was the science and maths one and i very much suck at that! its supposed to show youre a well rounded student but it doesnt work if your just generally not!
im quite excited about finishing now! only 2 weeks :biggrin: i was putting my art exhibiton up today and it was just sooo good to know its finally coming to an end :smile: :smile: i need an A in art too! i really hope i get it i think id be gutted if i didnt!
anyways good luck with your exams im sure youll be fine! :smile:
ldmoore1
ive done my retakes already, i retook all of the AS german modules, i need all the marks i can get! i have my final german exam on monday which is the big one and its reaaaally hard :frown: then i have a shakespeare and larkin paper on wednesday and an austen and unseen poetry exam the following thursday.
do you do general studies at your school/college? we're forced to. we did a paper yesterday which was quite amusing as it was the science and maths one and i very much suck at that! its supposed to show youre a well rounded student but it doesnt work if your just generally not!
im quite excited about finishing now! only 2 weeks :biggrin: i was putting my art exhibiton up today and it was just sooo good to know its finally coming to an end :smile: :smile: i need an A in art too! i really hope i get it i think id be gutted if i didnt!
anyways good luck with your exams im sure youll be fine! :smile:

Well I suppose AS's are a tad easier. How'd you think they went?
Nah we dont do general studies, but because it's a catholic school you choose between doing a certificate Religious Studies or Philosophy Alevel. But with just literally 1 lesson a week, I didn't think taking philosophy would have done much.
2 weeks is looking pretty sweet. I think I might have to go crazy on the night of the 16th, then just spend the next day doing Art extremely hungover :rolleyes: sounds like a well worthwhile plan
Thats ace. How come you've sorted your exhibition already? Is it being invigilated this week?
My teacher was too worried our work might get attacked by the lower years :p: lol
good luck to you too love!
Any plans for summer? Reading fest or anything?
Reply 432
ItaFrancoUK
Well I suppose AS's are a tad easier. How'd you think they went?
Nah we dont do general studies, but because it's a catholic school you choose between doing a certificate Religious Studies or Philosophy Alevel. But with just literally 1 lesson a week, I didn't think taking philosophy would have done much.
2 weeks is looking pretty sweet. I think I might have to go crazy on the night of the 16th, then just spend the next day doing Art extremely hungover :rolleyes: sounds like a well worthwhile plan
Thats ace. How come you've sorted your exhibition already? Is it being invigilated this week?
My teacher was too worried our work might get attacked by the lower years :p: lol
good luck to you too love!
Any plans for summer? Reading fest or anything?

haha im scared that the lower years will attack my work too! one of my final pieces is on this huge square board which i think is going to be hung off of the exhibition board so im worried about people prodding it and stuff! were getting moderated on the 18th but everythings got to be up before the 16th cus were doing this thing in the evening where we invite family and friends to come and look at everyones work :smile:
i guess our teachers just want to get all our work out of their classrooms or something!
plans for the summer..hmm well on the20th june im going on holiday for a week with 8 friends which should be fun! were going to benidorm haha- classy :p: umm other than that all the plans i have so far are relaxing up until results day and then if i get in i can start going shopping for uni stuff!
are you going to reading fest? i wanted to go to download (well ive wanted to go for the past 4 years) but theres so many bands that i either dont like or dont know who are playing i dont want to pay that much money for it.
so are you catholic? or do you just go to a catholic school? and where abouts in london do you live? its fascinates me that people actually live in london cus i just go there for day trips to go to the galleries. you see i live in a little town in lincolnshire :frown: its the height of fun :p:
my school is also kind of restricting although i do love it and i will miss it :frown: its an all girls grammar school :p: fuuuun times :p:
ldmoore1
haha im scared that the lower years will attack my work too! one of my final pieces is on this huge square board which i think is going to be hung off of the exhibition board so im worried about people prodding it and stuff! were getting moderated on the 18th but everythings got to be up before the 16th cus were doing this thing in the evening where we invite family and friends to come and look at everyones work :smile:
i guess our teachers just want to get all our work out of their classrooms or something!
plans for the summer..hmm well on the20th june im going on holiday for a week with 8 friends which should be fun! were going to benidorm haha- classy :p: umm other than that all the plans i have so far are relaxing up until results day and then if i get in i can start going shopping for uni stuff!
are you going to reading fest? i wanted to go to download (well ive wanted to go for the past 4 years) but theres so many bands that i either dont like or dont know who are playing i dont want to pay that much money for it.
so are you catholic? or do you just go to a catholic school? and where abouts in london do you live? its fascinates me that people actually live in london cus i just go there for day trips to go to the galleries. you see i live in a little town in lincolnshire :frown: its the height of fun :p:
my school is also kind of restricting although i do love it and i will miss it :frown: its an all girls grammar school :p: fuuuun times :p:

that sounds ace b, should be alright though! I'm so glad we can put it up on the 18th instead.. last exam's on the 16th so wouldn't have worked out :rolleyes:
ahh holidays with mates are amazing, went to Gran Canaria last year, hence where the profile pics' from. Tan much? hahah. Expect ridiculous amounts of alcohol unless you're going for a 'civil' holiday :eek: lol
yea going to reading with a mate, but download is completely more for me this year, this weekend though .. middle of a 4 day gap of exams .. wouldn't have been the greatest idea :o: might sell my ticket though and go creamfields, so much better i think.
From north london, but always heading into central for clubs. Haven't been to a gallery in agggggggges... which doesn't really help considering Art History in September and all haha where abouts do you head to though? Tate? National? yadda yadda..
Reply 434
ItaFrancoUK
that sounds ace b, should be alright though! I'm so glad we can put it up on the 18th instead.. last exam's on the 16th so wouldn't have worked out :rolleyes:
ahh holidays with mates are amazing, went to Gran Canaria last year, hence where the profile pics' from. Tan much? hahah. Expect ridiculous amounts of alcohol unless you're going for a 'civil' holiday :eek: lol
yea going to reading with a mate, but download is completely more for me this year, this weekend though .. middle of a 4 day gap of exams .. wouldn't have been the greatest idea :o: might sell my ticket though and go creamfields, so much better i think.
From north london, but always heading into central for clubs. Haven't been to a gallery in agggggggges... which doesn't really help considering Art History in September and all haha where abouts do you head to though? Tate? National? yadda yadda..

ha! civilised holiday?! i dont know the meaning of it! :p: nah its literally going to be lying on the beach all day and then going out drinking at night. gooood times :biggrin:
umm yeah we usually go to the tates, we went to the national portrait gallery once and other smaller randoms ones. me and my friend went along on the year 12 trip in september cus i needed to go to the francis bacon exhibition that they had at the tate britian, and we decided to go to this textiles and design museum cus thats what my friend is into, apart from we got totally lost! the most stupid bit was we spent about an hour walking around looking for the thing, ended up in some housing estate and then when we had to go back we realised we'd walked past it long ago and it was a bright pink building! not good.
ive been to the gallery in leeds aswell but the stuff in there wasnt of great use to me..
do you think you'll be visiting leeds/notts in the summer at all?
hi !!

i wanna apply to a bunch of history of art courses next year, and i was particularly interested by csm's BA in communication, criticism and curation. However, I wasn't able to find much info about it. Do you think it's a good course or is it kind of a joke ?

thanks !
Reply 436
my friend was thinking of applying for that, but she eventually decided against it, on the grounds that it would be like history of art, but less thorough, and not as respected as a subject, which makes sense to me.
i don't know much about the course, and obviously it depends on what your interests are. but if you want to go into curating/ art criticism or whatever, a straightforward history of art degree will be equally, if not more helpful to you, in my opinion. it's also an academic subject at an art college, meaning the academic facilities (libraries etc...) for your course may not be as good as at mainstream universities.
like i say, it depends a lot on what what you're interested in, but my advice would be that it's not worth specialising so much for a BA course.
Reply 437
P.S Thinking about it, it may be better suited to you if you're much more interested in contemporary art (although that's just a guess). good luck with all your decisions/ applications.
as a matter of fact, i am more interested in contemporary art, which is why this course caught my attention. however, as you said, i also think maybe i should start by stuying the history of art and then specialize more. but i did like the idea of studying alongside people who are actually gonna be tomorrow's artists ^^

thanks for your answer=] it's really hard finding someone who is actually on that course, so all the info i have comes from their website =/
Reply 439
guyyss, exams are over!!! (for most of us) woo!! hope it all went fine :smile: x

Latest

Trending

Trending