The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello. I am considering applying for HoA for 2010 and this thread has been super useful already, so thank you. I am thinking about applying to UCL, Edinburgh and Sussex at the moment for HoA, and perhaps just an English & Comparative Lit course at Queen Mary. I am a bit scared of the Courtauld as I do not take History of Art A-level and this would probably leave me disadvantaged, although it looks swell I think UCL would be the place for me.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what predicted grades they got for applying (especially to UCL) and if anyone was turned down by UCL although it was their first choice? I saw that some people were predicted AAA and still were turned down. This scares me, as I don't think I am capable of much more than AAB.
Also, how well read up was everyone for their interview/personal statement? and what books you recommend I should read before writing my personal statement? I do not know that much about the history of art, however I am eager to learn about it... will shallow knowledge such as having favourite artists and movements and stuff suffice?
And (finally) do these universities favour humanities more than any other subject at A-level? I do History, English Lit and Sociology, and I am thinking about dropping the latter or Media.

Sorry for all the questions, any response would be great, as I am the only person in my 6th form considering HoA and there is nobody to talk to it about!

Thank you.
Reply 441
I was predicted 3 As and got an offer from UCL of ABB, but lots of strong candidates with similarly high predictions did seem to get rejected this year.
They seem to base the application process quite heavily on the PS, and then give offers to most (I think about 2/3) candidates who are invited to interview.
Because of the emphasis on the PS/ interview, I'd guess that predicted grades are not as important as they might be elsewhere; as long as you seem likely to meet their standard offers of ABB/AAB, I think it's unlikely they'll reject you based purely on them. (Also bear in mind that most schools are more likely to be optimistic with your predicted grades, so unless you know for sure otherwise, you may be predicted 3As).
Books-wise, I would say Gombrich (Story of Art) would be perfect for you, as you say you don't have an in-depth knowledge yet - it should fill in some blanks reasonably well. Other than that, I'd say it's most important to read books that cover your interests within the field, because you'll be able to talk about them more passionately in interview. You don't necessarily need to have read a load of stuff when you write the PS, as long as it's informed and enthusiastic, but it definitely helps to have read up about what you claim to be interested in before your interview, so you can qualify it. I would also recommend Kenneth Clarke's 'Civilization,' and 'Ways of Seeing' by John Berger for general reading (or try and find the original TV series for both).
The interviews seem to vary quite a lot, but mine was very chilled out and centred around what I'm interested in, rather than grilling me to try and identify what I didn't know! It does seem more important to know what you're into and be able to explain why, rather than just knowing heaps and heaps of stuff. They may also ask you to analyse a copy of a work of art that they show you, so it's worth practising for this by opening an art book at a random page and trying to talk intelligently about whatever you come across.
As to your subjects, they sound fine to me... most universities I applied to expressed a preference for humanities, and history in particular is obviously helpful.

Hope that helps! Good luck.
Thank you for all your knowledge!
One more question (although many will probably follow), did you mention things like your favourite artists/movement &/or paintings in your PS? Or perhaps about an exhibition that you visited and why you liked it? I am unsure whether or not too, as perhaps everyone else does that? Arf, scared.
Did you accept your place at UCL?
Reply 443
Glassworks - i agree with Tinwoman - Gombrich's book is fab coz it really gives u a brief overview of everything, however, I would recommend reading at least one other book which is more focused on a certain movement or artist because not only will that help if they ask you what artist you like etc.. but also I know lots of historians disapprove of Gombrich because he skips out or goes over things vaguely. My interviewer from UCL told me that when I started talking about Gombrich - so I'd definitely recommend to make sure you have a back-up book to talk about :smile:
Personal Statement - because it's so short you cant really go into much depth but i did include a long line about a certain piece because it was relevant to my subjects. But the emphasis is more on why you want to do the course. (UCL is my insurance choice by the way - Courtauld is first). x
Reply 444
yeah I agree with Me30 (lovely pattern of concurrence we've got going on here : ] ) about books, it's true Gombrich isn't perfect... but it is a good outline if your knowledge is limited so far.
I'd say in the PS, try to tie in your specific interests to why you want to do the course - they'll make you stand out and give them something to ask you about at interview.
I'm in the same boat as Me30 - UCL is my insurance, Courtauld my firm x
Okay, Gombrich it is, thank you for the advice.
If I was to mention a painting in my PS or in the interview, or if they gave me a couple of paintings to compare, would I try and give my knowledge about the context and history of the painting/movement and era it was painted OR the messages it conveys visually and my interpretations? I am never sure whether History of Art is about one or the other...or both? I have always thought it was about both. Sorry if that sounds like a very basic question.

The Courtauld does look amazing... Intense I bet however.

How did you both get into history of art? And what art/artists do you like/find interesting? I am full of questions. x
Reply 446
I would suggest you talk about both... try to get as much objective, factual information in (period/contexts etc...) because it shows you have knowledge as well as enthusiasm, but your interpretations will demonstrate responsiveness to the work of art, and show that you can talk critically.
'History of Art' obviously encompasses periods/contexts/influences etc... as for interpretations, a lot of my Courtauld interview centered around the question of how objective/subjective the study of art should be, i.e. how much influence we should allow our interpretations to have when considering a work of art... my interviewers said it was an ongoing subject of debate... so interpretations are significant, but it's unclear how much so : ) (that was the message I got from it anyway!)
Yeah I'm really excited about (hopefully!) going to the Courtauld. You mentioned that you were put off by not having done HoA A-level. It's probably not your only reason for not wanting to apply, but I don't think it would put you at a disadvantage at all. I've never studied HoA before, and I think there are a significant number of other prospectives in the same situation. The first year of study takes the form of a 'foundation' course, which I think aims to fill in gaps and give everyone a level start.
I think it is pretty intense, but humanities degrees tend to have a reputation for being easier than other courses (probably untrue!) so it'll be good to know I'm working hard for mine (in theory!).
My dad's always been really into history of art, so i guess that helped me develop my interest... I first considered doing it at uni when I was going Art AS level and realised what I enjoyed most was writing the analysis essays... as for my interests within the field, they are very varied... I did one of my AS Art projects on Victorian illustration, which I found really interesting, and obviously the Renaissance is fascinating (I particularly like Northern Renaissance painting - Bosch, Jan van Eyck etc...)
Sorry, I keep writing you full-on essays! Hope it's helpful : ]
Thank you, I will do that! I have bought a couple of books now, I need to start reading them!
Courtauld does look really nice, I think I need to research the course a little further. Did you visit any other Universities? If so, what did you think of them?
I have an auntie and an uncle who are both art historians, however they have very differing tastes, but I don't know if that inspired me to think about possibly doing it. I think I first considered doing it when I realised that I try and incessantly analyse everything visual in my mind when I see it, from adverts to peoples expressions when they are talking to me. I also really like art and history and so (I hope) the two go well together.
I really like symbolism - like Klimt and Redon, Surrealism - like Magritte and Dali and Archimboldo (can you even class him as surrealist? 15th century surrealism?) and I like Expressionism like Schiele. I am really interested in Francis Bacon too, but isn't everyone?
So basically I am into 19th/20th century art, but I would like to learn more about the renaissance period and others. I feel a bit stupid.
You are helpful! and interesting!
Reply 448
I visited UCL and Goldsmiths... I already knew a lot about UCL because my boyfriend goes there, but the open day was really badly organised so didn't show the university off particularly well. It is a great uni though, it was a tough call for me between it and the Courtauld when replying to my offers.
The Goldsmiths open day was far better organised, and the whole place had a really friendly atmosphere. I applied there as an insurance option, but it's fairly high ranking for HoA, and is meant to be very good for research, although being smaller it isn't as well known as some of the other UoL unis.
Glad to be helpful! For what it's worth, it sounds to me like you know what you're talking about : )
Reply 449
Glassworks - seriously, I think you'll have no problem. From what you've said, you seem really interested in it and that, as Tinwoman said, you know your stuff which i basically exactly what they're looking for. I studied History of Art at A Level but to be honest practically none of the modules I did are included in the BA at the C so I dont think you'd be at any disadvantage by not studying it previously.
I agree with Tinwoman about talking about the painting through context, history AND personal interpretations/ views, but I would stress on the last bit, afterall there are tonnes of books written about a painting, so it's most interesting to hear a new and original outlook which involves more of your own input rather than just reading up on history. :smile:
Tinwoman - I hope we both end up going to the C!!
Reply 450
Me30- Yeah me too! I'm really excited now, it would really be a tragedy if I didn't get the grades at this stage. Know where you're living yet?
Reply 451
saaame!! after iv told everyone about the courtauld :s-smilie:
Im living at home. u?
Reply 452
Yeah that would really be badtimes. Fingers crossed for both of us!
I got a room in the Strand Continental --> yayz. Looking forward to being so near the campus :]
Reply 453
wow thats pretty much as close as you can get to the campus haha. I have a direct bus from home so it's not bad either.
fingers crossed definitely! =P
Reply 454
Yeah there'll be no escape for me! : ] Whereabouts in London are you?
I noticed yesterday that we apparently have at least 21-30 contact hours a week! That's a lot for a humanities degree.
Guess it's a good thing though - at some top universities recently students have been complaining that they're not getting adequate tuition for the money they pay, so it's good to know we shouldn't be in that position.
I'll have about 3X the hours as my boyfriend though, who will be in his 3rd year... so much for thinking I'd see more of him when I moved to London : ]
Reply 455
im in central london, near baker street-ish.
21-30 hours? That IS quite a lot.. How did you find out?
What subject does your boyfriend do though? Maybe our contact hours count like gallery visits etc.. i dont know.. lol
Reply 456
what are all the courtauld potentials planning on doing for accomodation? my application for strand continental was rejected :frown:
Reply 457
I'm moving in with my brother! I too didn't make the cut for the strand.
Reply 458
- Me30
Sounds like a good location. I'm pleased to be sorted with accommodation - I got so stressed about not getting anywhere!
I found the contact hours somewhere on their website, under a heading to do with advice on student employment.
He does English Lit... which it's true does normally seem to have fewer contact hours (I think the idea being that they spend the extra time reading the texts...)
Reply 459
ahh I think I should investigate their website a bit more..
and yh its pretty convenient, although i would have liked moving out .. might do next year or the year after.
:O less than 20 days til results day!?! sorry i just realised. eek!!

Latest

Trending

Trending