The Student Room Group

Putting a year between Y12 and Y13

Hi, Y12 was a complete mess for me - for half the year, I didn't even show up to school, and for the days that I did, I showed up a few classes into the school day. This is mostly connected to my mental health and medication and all that. Results aren't out yet, but I'm decently sure I scraped by with a few As. Y12, being the absolute hell that it was, was not fun for me, and Y13 is likely to be worse, so I'm wondering if I could take a year off for a break between Y12 and Y13. Would it cost too much? Or would it be outweighed by the benefits it would have on my mental health?
Original post by chaoyangtea
Hi, Y12 was a complete mess for me - for half the year, I didn't even show up to school, and for the days that I did, I showed up a few classes into the school day. This is mostly connected to my mental health and medication and all that. Results aren't out yet, but I'm decently sure I scraped by with a few As. Y12, being the absolute hell that it was, was not fun for me, and Y13 is likely to be worse, so I'm wondering if I could take a year off for a break between Y12 and Y13. Would it cost too much? Or would it be outweighed by the benefits it would have on my mental health?

As Y12 started, I thought of dropping out for a break between GCSEs and A-Levels. In hindsight, that was a very good idea, but I ignored it because I was being pushed by the idea that I was obligated to go into Y12 and push on.
Firstly its unlikely your school would allow you to do that - there are no academic benefits in that, and if anything it will make your situation worse as you will lose knowledge and skills, and make it even more unlikely that you'll get decent grades.
Original post by McGinger
Firstly its unlikely your school would allow you to do that - there are no academic benefits in that, and if anything it will make your situation worse as you will lose knowledge and skills, and make it even more unlikely that you'll get decent grades.

As for my school not allowing this, they definitely will, and I'm sure of that. I think that the point you raise about academic benefits is valid, although I don't really want to predicate my personal wellbeing on how good my grades are - I think I'd be more likely to do well if I went into Y13 with a clear mind and without problems. I think not showing up to school at 10 every day would be good for me.
bump
Original post by chaoyangtea

Hi, I'm in a similar situation myself and was wondering whether you ended up taking a year off or not because I'm definitely considering it?

Quick Reply

Latest