The Student Room Group

Is my grade enough for top unis computer science?

I've got 9998877765 in my GCSEs (6 and 5 in Geography and Spanish), and I've achieved As in Physics and Maths, a B in Computer Science, in my AS level exams. (It's my first year doing Computer Science, and I've been getting constant As in my mock exams but I've got a B as I messed up in paper 2. I do A level further maths, but this won't count as an official AS level qualification as I took an internal exam). I am predicted A*A*A*A, an A in computer science.

Am I still considered to be a competitive applicant? I'm thinking to apply to Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, and KCL. These unis have very low acceptance rate for cs, so there is a chance I may be rejected from all of them in the worst-case scenario.

I've finished writing my personal statement talking about computer science(security side)-done a project, then mathematical sides of computing involving cryptography and AI- I read undergraduate level book and worked through questions of it, and also went in depth with the mathematical concepts lying behind cs. I've got a gold in UKMT senior Maths challenge, but that is the only reward I received I could talk about in my ps as I didn't think of participating to many competitions in Year 12.

I'm not sure if I've done enough work and have the grades other applicatns applying to top unis would have, which is 4A*s. Would it be a good idea for me to apply to top 5 competitive unis?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lheeseung_05
I've got 9998877765 in my GCSEs (6 and 5 in Geography and Spanish), and I've achieved As in Physics and Maths, a B in Computer Science, in my AS level exams. (It's my first year doing Computer Science, and I've been getting constant As in my mock exams but I've got a B as I messed up in paper 2. I do A level further maths, but this won't count as an official AS level qualification as I took an internal exam). I am predicted A*A*A*A, an A in computer science.

Am I still considered to be a competitive applicant? I'm thinking to apply to Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, and KCL. These unis have very low acceptance rate for cs, so there is a chance I may be rejected from all of them in the worst-case scenario.

I've finished writing my personal statement talking about computer science(security side)-done a project, then mathematical sides of computing involving cryptography and AI- I read undergraduate level book and worked through questions of it, and also went in depth with the mathematical concepts lying behind cs. I've got a gold in UKMT senior Maths challenge, but that is the only reward I received I could talk about in my ps as I didn't think of participating to many competitions in Year 12.

I'm not sure if I've done enough work and have the grades other applicatns applying to top unis would have, which is 4A*s. Would it be a good idea for me to apply to top 5 competitive unis?

You are a very strong applicant. However, I had a two friends that had 4A*, Gold awads from every year in I think UKMT if thats the one schools do once a year. Although, im pretty sure it was their ps that let them down I would recommend applying to a safety just in case.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by JaCey04
You are a very strong applicant. However, I had a two friends that had 4A*, Gold awads from every year in I think UKMT if thats the one schools do once a year. Although, im pretty sure it was their ps that let them down I would recommend applying to a safety just in case.

Thank you for the reply, I just hope that the predicted grade A in Computer Science won’t hold me back from getting into top unis, and I will go through my ps again and receive feedbacks and comments from my school tutors as well!

Btw, I’m from south korea who came to England in 2020 winter, would this act as an advantage or disadvantage when applying to unis??
Reply 3
Thank you for the reply, I just hope that the predicted grade A in Computer Science won’t hold me back from getting into top unis, and I will go through my ps again and receive feedbacks and comments from my school tutors as well!

Btw, I’m from south korea who came to England in 2020 winter, would this act as an advantage or disadvantage when applying to unis??

Maths is the most important, most don't require an CS. Although, that is probably bc some schools dont offer it.
I have no idea if being South Korean will help you. I'm pretty sure we get a lot of internationals for postgraduate so there might not be as many for undergraduate but idk.
Reply 4
Original post by JaCey04
Maths is the most important, most don't require an CS. Although, that is probably bc some schools dont offer it.
I have no idea if being South Korean will help you. I'm pretty sure we get a lot of internationals for postgraduate so there might not be as many for undergraduate but idk.

Thank you, I will try to keep my grades for maths and improve on computer science. Btw, do you major cs at university?

Yes, you're a strong applicant. What will you do if you get rejected from all 5 of your current choices?
Reply 6
Thank you, I will try to keep my grades for maths and improve on computer science. Btw, do you major cs at university?

Going to do CS this September
Reply 7
Original post by ageshallnot
Yes, you're a strong applicant. What will you do if you get rejected from all 5 of your current choices?

I think I will wait for another year then apply to same universities!
Reply 8
Original post by JaCey04
Going to do CS this September

Could you tell me which university you are going to??
Reply 9
Could you tell me which university you are going to??

Southampton
Original post by JaCey04
Southampton

That’s impressive! Well done!!!
i’ve got quite a similar application to urs it should be fine tmua was crazy tho
Original post by studentcs646
i’ve got quite a similar application to urs it should be fine tmua was crazy tho

Yeah man, I guessed 3 questions on both paper 1 and 2 😭 I don’t think I can get 7.0
Reply 13

I think youre a competitive applicant but i would recommend having a safe option, just incase. In first yr (imperial) my flatmate did cs and if i remember correctly he got 3A* at alevels so you have a decent chance at getting in but offers are not solely based on grades.
Reply 14

It's a very strong set of grades and really good stuff for a ps. I'd try it but put a backup to keep your options open.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending