The Student Room Group

Cambridge Colleges: Differences in accommodation/room types?

The University of Cambridge has a bunch of Colleges that are responsible for accommodation, learning, and more.

I'm wondering if certain colleges have more of a room type? For example, this college has more ensuites, vs that one has more singles, vs that one has more doubles. Or are there shared bedrooms at all? Is it equally likely to get my room preference regardless of what college I go to?

Cambridge requires living on campus for the full course length, so campus accommodation actually matters a lot.
Original post by yd1201
The University of Cambridge has a bunch of Colleges that are responsible for accommodation, learning, and more.

I'm wondering if certain colleges have more of a room type? For example, this college has more ensuites, vs that one has more singles, vs that one has more doubles. Or are there shared bedrooms at all? Is it equally likely to get my room preference regardless of what college I go to?

Cambridge requires living on campus for the full course length, so campus accommodation actually matters a lot.

Yes, it varies a lot. However, don't waste too much time doing an analysis because a) the chances of a 1st year getting their room preference in the ballot is slim and b) there's much more to life at Cambridge than where you sleep. You aren't likely to get your room preference whichever College you go to, so don't make it a defining feature of selection.
I haven't heard anyone mention shared rooms. The rest varies a lot. Longer courses don't require campus living all the way through - 4th year vets and medics have all had the fun of finding private accommodation this year
i watched Elena Handtrack's YouTube video "CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY ROOM TOUR | ST. JOHN'S COLLEGE". she was a Cambridge student at St. John's College. at 0:14, she said that she lived in a set, which meant her bedroom was next to someone else's bedroom and the two people shared a kitchen and a bathroom.

i found a website on Trinity College's undergraduate room types: https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/accommodation/typical-rooms/

i don't know if it's equally likely to get your room preference regardless of what college you go to
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes, it varies a lot. However, don't waste too much time doing an analysis because a) the chances of a 1st year getting their room preference in the ballot is slim and b) there's much more to life at Cambridge than where you sleep. You aren't likely to get your room preference whichever College you go to, so don't make it a defining feature of selection.

Ok, I see. I agree that Cambridge has a vibrant community and culture, but each person also has different priorities.

So ensuites are generally given to upperclassmen? What about single/private bedrooms?
Original post by yd1201
Ok, I see. I agree that Cambridge has a vibrant community and culture, but each person also has different priorities.

So ensuites are generally given to upperclassmen? What about single/private bedrooms?

I've never heard of any room sharing, it's not a thing as far as I am aware. A few of the older Colleges might just have a few sets where there are separate bedrooms and a shared living space. Bathrooms shared for sure, but not bedrooms.

You simply aren't going to get a comprehensive answer to room details because it's too complicated to summarise and it doesn't matter that much. Generally, the modern Colleges have more en-suites, because en-suites have only become a 'thing' in the last 20 years and they are impossible to fit to most 14th-18th century rooms! But colleges have all sorts of accommodation on the original site, new blocks and individual houses around the city.
Original post by yd1201

Shared bedrooms themselves pretty much aren't a thing in any British uni, although I've heard of them in Durham university.
Original post by Anonymous
Shared bedrooms themselves pretty much aren't a thing in any British uni, although I've heard of them in Durham university.

Yeah, Durham and UCL have shared rooms.
Original post by yd1201

En-suites vary. My daughter had one in first year as she was allocated the new block built behind predominantly old college buildings. She also got an accessible one - despite not needing it - so it was a nice big wet room. Shared access to 3 showers and 2 loos between 6 in second year then ensuite again in third year.
Reply 9
Original post by Sandtrooper
Yeah, Durham and UCL have shared rooms.

Hmm... Judging by how UCL is describing their accommodation guarantee, it seems that shared rooms are actually limited, and singles are guaranteed if I apply for one?

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective-residents/applying-ucl-accommodation/how-apply-undergraduates#:~:text=You%20apply%20for%20a%20single%20room
Original post by yd1201
Hmm... Judging by how UCL is describing their accommodation guarantee, it seems that shared rooms are actually limited, and singles are guaranteed if I apply for one?

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective-residents/applying-ucl-accommodation/how-apply-undergraduates#:~:text=You%20apply%20for%20a%20single%20room

It seems likely but I've never been to UCL so don't know their policy. I would suggest you ask them but I assume that there's an option on the form somewhere to say that you 'wouldn't mind' which I would absolutely not tick if you do not want a shared room. But, I'm going off of protocol from another university I'm more familiar with. Either way, there are quite a lot of twin rooms on offer so I'd be cautious and ask them: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/accommodation/ucl-halls/undergraduate-accommodation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending