The Student Room Group

Best unis for Psychology And Couselling?

Does anyone know of any good universities for psychology and counselling degrees? Also, do any include placement? Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by thrivingfrog
Does anyone know of any good universities for psychology and counselling degrees? Also, do any include placement? Thanks

Hi!
There is a list of rankings for universities offering psychology here: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/psychology

I did BSc Psychology and Counselling with the Open University, which I loved! I am now finishing my training as a counsellor and have just secured a job as an Assistant Psychologist. I'll be applying for doctorate programs at the end of this year!

The most important thing to look for is BPS accreditation. You will need this if you want to progress in a career in psychology. I'm not sure about specific courses that offer placements, though I know some do. At undergraduate stage, placements are not the most important thing, though I imagine the experience would be helpful or, at the very least, interesting! Remember, you will need a minimum of a 2:1 to be eligible for graduate membership with the BPS, so getting the best grades possible should be your priority.

Another thing to consider is that a BSc that includes a counselling element does not qualify you to practice as a counsellor - training in this area is a separate thing to psychology. For example, I did my Level 3 Counselling Skills course alongside my final year of my BSc (I studied part-time). I'm now going into the second year of my level 4 course, which includes 100 placement hours. You do not need a psychology degree to go down this route.

I hope some of this was helpful. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Loren
Reply 3
Original post by Nerol

If both of these courses open up an equal amount of opportunities and teach same almost same modules, wouldn’t it be wise to opt for the one-year course even though it’s not accredited? This way one year fees could be saved.
(Original post by Nerol)Hi!
There is a list of rankings for universities offering psychology here: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/psychology

I did BSc Psychology and Counselling with the Open University, which I loved! I am now finishing my training as a counsellor and have just secured a job as an Assistant Psychologist. I'll be applying for doctorate programs at the end of this year!

The most important thing to look for is BPS accreditation. You will need this if you want to progress in a career in psychology. I'm not sure about specific courses that offer placements, though I know some do. At undergraduate stage, placements are not the most important thing, though I imagine the experience would be helpful or, at the very least, interesting! Remember, you will need a minimum of a 2:1 to be eligible for graduate membership with the BPS, so getting the best grades possible should be your priority.

Another thing to consider is that a BSc that includes a counselling element does not qualify you to practice as a counsellor - training in this area is a separate thing to psychology. For example, I did my Level 3 Counselling Skills course alongside my final year of my BSc (I studied part-time). I'm now going into the second year of my level 4 course, which includes 100 placement hours. You do not need a psychology degree to go down this route.

I hope some of this was helpful. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Loren

Hello, I was just curious as to whether there are many job opportunities for graduates of these programmes: a) 2-year BACP-accredited MSc in counselling
B) 1-year unaccredited MSc in psychological therapies
particularly for international students who want to settle in the UK and need to find visa-sponsored jobs for positions as mental health support workers, assistant psychologists, or other related roles as soon as they finish their studies. To give you some background, I already hold an MA in psychology (major: clinical psych) and my main goal is to end up as a clinical psychologist.
As I already have a Masters with a clinical psychology major (a non-UK degree), which I’m sure will get me GBC, I’m thinking to enrol in either a BCP-accredited counselling MSc or an unaccredited normal MSc psychological therapies course. Both of these courses, I’m sure, will equip me with knowledge of psychotherapeutic techniques, which will help me in the long run as well, as counselling and psychotherapy are what clinical psychologists use to treat their patients.
Please let me know if you can suggest something.

If both of these courses open up an equal amount of opportunities and teach same almost same modules, wouldn’t it be wise to opt for the one-year course even though it’s not accredited? This way one year fees could be saved. And once I gain enough experience as AP or etc, I will then apply for bps accredited dclinpsy.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by zee_99
Hello, I was just curious as to whether there are many job opportunities for graduates of these programmes: a) 2-year BACP-accredited MSc in counselling
B) 1-year unaccredited MSc in psychological therapies
particularly for international students who want to settle in the UK and need to find visa-sponsored jobs for positions as mental health support workers, assistant psychologists, or other related roles as soon as they finish their studies. To give you some background, I already hold an MA in psychology (major: clinical psych) and my main goal is to end up as a clinical psychologist.
As I already have a Masters with a clinical psychology major (a non-UK degree), which I’m sure will get me GBC, I’m thinking to enrol in either a BCP-accredited counselling MSc or an unaccredited normal MSc psychological therapies course. Both of these courses, I’m sure, will equip me with knowledge of psychotherapeutic techniques, which will help me in the long run as well, as counselling and psychotherapy are what clinical psychologists use to treat their patients.
Please let me know if you can suggest something.

If both of these courses open up an equal amount of opportunities and teach same almost same modules, wouldn’t it be wise to opt for the one-year course even though it’s not accredited? This way one year fees could be saved. And once I gain enough experience as AP or etc, I will then apply for bps accredited dclinpsy.

Hi!

I'm not that familiar with these courses, but if you want to work as a counsellor before applying for the DClinPsy programme, I'd recommend the BACP accredited one, as the other one doesn't sound like it is professional training that would give you the knowledge, skills and professional placement that the other would (I could be wrong, though!). The Counselling MSc would allow you to work as a counsellor and gain accreditation from the BACP, which employers tend to look for.

There generally aren't a lot of paid counsellor jobs around, though this would depend on your location. Both courses would offer relevant knowledge and skills in terms of applying for the DClinPsy, though.

Quick Reply

Latest