The Student Room Group

Toxic relationship

Hi,

I need help, I’ve been in my relationship for about 9 months now, we’ve had a rocky start, as I was unsure if I wanted to fully commit to him. However, over time he’d gotten more and more controlling, and it was more and more difficult for me but my love for him has grown so much. He made me cut off all guy friends, even one of my gay friends, but it was due to me being horrible to him when I first met him and throughout our first few months of dating (it’s also an online relationship). I used to break up with him, tell him he didn’t deserve me, I was very toxic and immature and still am. I probably should expand a lot more but I really don’t have the energy to do so, I just I really don’t know what to do anymore. I should mention I’m 17… I honestly don’t know what to say. There’s so much to talk about.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I need help, I’ve been in my relationship for about 9 months now, we’ve had a rocky start, as I was unsure if I wanted to fully commit to him. However, over time he’d gotten more and more controlling, and it was more and more difficult for me but my love for him has grown so much. He made me cut off all guy friends, even one of my gay friends, but it was due to me being horrible to him when I first met him and throughout our first few months of dating (it’s also an online relationship). I used to break up with him, tell him he didn’t deserve me, I was very toxic and immature and still am. I probably should expand a lot more but I really don’t have the energy to do so, I just I really don’t know what to do anymore. I should mention I’m 17… I honestly don’t know what to say. There’s so much to talk about.

Ill be honest, it gets lime that. You’ll have phases like this throughout your relationship where you feel mixed emotions and unsurity towards your bf/relationship

But in all honesty, if you love him, and he loves you back, don’t give up on him. EVER. Nowadays it’s become so normalised to end relationships after a few rocky stages, when if they’re really your person, it’ll make your relationship stronger. Never give up on him UNLESS/UNTIL your LOVE for him is no longer there.

However, the whole him being controlling part, I personally have been there done that with my own girlfriend but all I can say is, he doesn’t mean it (and most likely doesn’t notice it) he’s insecure, but this isn’t his fault, not yours. This is gonna sound common and clichè but you really need to communicate with him, it’s honestly the only way.

You need to let him know how you feel about his actions, (which he may not even realise fully until you have a serious convo with him) and just work things out with him. Being in a relationship isn’t easy and it takes a lot of patience, communication and compromise. If you and him love each other enough, you will work it out.

Toxic relationships are slightly a lost cause & mentally draining/heartbreaking but not always, not if you’re willing to make small changes within the relationship to keep you guys together. Don’t give up him, just like how he didn’t give up on you when you were being toxic to him. He clearly loves you but is just afraid to lose you.

Like I said before, only consider leaving him if your absolutely sure and lost love for him and vice versa
Reply 2
Ill be honest, it gets lime that. You’ll have phases like this throughout your relationship where you feel mixed emotions and unsurity towards your bf/relationship

But in all honesty, if you love him, and he loves you back, don’t give up on him. EVER. Nowadays it’s become so normalised to end relationships after a few rocky stages, when if they’re really your person, it’ll make your relationship stronger. Never give up on him UNLESS/UNTIL your LOVE for him is no longer there.

However, the whole him being controlling part, I personally have been there done that with my own girlfriend but all I can say is, he doesn’t mean it (and most likely doesn’t notice it) he’s insecure, but this isn’t his fault, not yours. This is gonna sound common and clichè but you really need to communicate with him, it’s honestly the only way.

You need to let him know how you feel about his actions, (which he may not even realise fully until you have a serious convo with him) and just work things out with him. Being in a relationship isn’t easy and it takes a lot of patience, communication and compromise. If you and him love each other enough, you will work it out.

Toxic relationships are slightly a lost cause & mentally draining/heartbreaking but not always, not if you’re willing to make small changes within the relationship to keep you guys together. Don’t give up him, just like how he didn’t give up on you when you were being toxic to him. He clearly loves you but is just afraid to lose you.

Like I said before, only consider leaving him if your absolutely sure and lost love for him and vice versa

Honestly, I genuinely cannot thank you enough, that's all very true; I just needed that reassurance. I do truly love him, and he does truly love me, he spends hundreds of pounds coming to see me every time, he's such a genuine, loving caring person, and i do truly want him as my children's father. Also I entirely agree with that statement of the normalisation of just leaving relationships even through most normal of times. I was reading more threads about toxic relationships, but it made me realise the majority of the responses was to leave, but when they were to justify they had invalid points, and I think it's just too silly. ah im going out of topic, my brain is mushed rn, but thank you. I genuinely do appreciate your response <3
Honestly, I genuinely cannot thank you enough, that's all very true; I just needed that reassurance. I do truly love him, and he does truly love me, he spends hundreds of pounds coming to see me every time, he's such a genuine, loving caring person, and i do truly want him as my children's father. Also I entirely agree with that statement of the normalisation of just leaving relationships even through most normal of times. I was reading more threads about toxic relationships, but it made me realise the majority of the responses was to leave, but when they were to justify they had invalid points, and I think it's just too silly. ah im going out of topic, my brain is mushed rn, but thank you. I genuinely do appreciate your response <3

I’m happy for you, already I can tell, from the energy of your response that you and him will be perfectly fine, that’s your person, your love, your protector and sounds wet but your 100% his queen as of right now.

Make sure you hold it down for eachother as long as you can. Being in love is an emotional rollercoaster, you and him could even have another fight as soon TOMORROW… but it’s perfectly fine, nothing wrong with that as long as your both willing to work through it together.

Even if you and him don’t end up together, you’ll go out of that relationship at least knowing that you tried your hardest and gave him as much love as you can offer.

:smile:
I got into an argument with somebody and we decided to settle it by fighting. We agreed to fight in my apartment since I live alone and so nobody else could get involved. As soon as the fight started, he charged at me and tackled me onto the ground. Before I could get back up, he got under me and made me lie down on him. He then pulled me up to his chest and placed one of his legs on top of mine so I couldn't move my legs. He hugged me really tightly with one of his arms so I couldn't move. I tried to resist but couldn't get out of his hold. I was wearing a coat and he pulled my zip up to the top. Then with one of his hands, he covered me eyes and started whispering into my ear. "You're a good lad and I didn't want to do this to you but this is the only way you'll learn your lesson. Here's how it's going to work from now. Everyday, I'll be coming to your apartment and holding you like this before you fall asleep until I've brainwashed you to do as I say. Is that clear?" I nodded my head and he made me do a breathing exercise till I fell asleep. I woke up in the middle of the night and was lying on the floor, still with my jacket on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending