The Student Room Group
Report his ass to the police. It's not normal at all
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
my father hit me six times out of anger and i feel mentally traumatised and just sad. surely this must be illegal right? does anyone have any experience with abusive parents?

yeah it is illegal. my father would hit me too. eventually i stood up to him. if its really bad, don't wait until you're old enough to hit him back. you can report him to a teacher or via childline https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/1-2-1-counsellor-chat/
Reply 3
Original post by Moonlight rain
Report his ass to the police. It's not normal at all

yh i would but i don't want him to go to jail. and my family would resent me because of it
my father hit me six times out of anger and i feel mentally traumatised and just sad. surely this must be illegal right? does anyone have any experience with abusive parents?

Bruh, being asian, I think it's the norm, especially whay my mother went through with her East ass asian parents. This thought is out of doing something wrong, not out of spite or anger. Your father is clearly an ass and you should call up cps
Reply 5
Original post by Ciel.
yeah it is illegal. my father would hit me too. eventually i stood up to him. if its really bad, don't wait until you're old enough to hit him back. you can report him to a teacher or via childline https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/1-2-1-counsellor-chat/

did you end up hitting him back? i don't think i can tbh, he's much stronger than me and i don't want to feed into the stereotype but i'm female so i'm also a bit shorter and weaker.
hypothetically if i did hit him, he would hit me back even harder and beat me up and then he wouldn't feel bad about it because his reasoning would be that i'm disobedient (just for defending myself) and that i don't respect his decision to hit me
Reply 6
yeah i'm 17 and female. tbh if he had a reason to hit me i would be less sad but it was out of nowhere and there rly isn't a valid reason (i think he was just angry and saw red)
Some parents are criminal thugs that brutalise their kids.
Or have severe anger management issues arising from past traumas that they allow to ruin their descendant's childhoods.
Quite a few traditionalist and religious families have a centuries old family tradition of using extreme violence to attack, discipline or terrorise young children and teenagers.
Reply 8
Original post by mgcgian047
Bruh, being asian, I think it's the norm, especially whay my mother went through with her East ass asian parents. This thought is out of doing something wrong, not out of spite or anger. Your father is clearly an ass and you should call up cps

i didn't do anything wrong but his reasoning was that i was backbiting because i repeated something he said to everyone in our family to my sister

It is becoming illegal in Wales next year and I believe it is illegal in some other parts of the UK.
I used to get hit as a child as a punishment, but society is changing it's view on it. It is assault at the end of the day and is entirely unnecessary and simply shows that the parent cannot parent very well. My mum regrets hitting me (though my dad did most of the hitting) and she was the one who said it was a sign she could not control me but I didn't deserve to be hit. I even used to have nightmares actually. Both my parents got hit as kids so they're just repeating that behaviour. It is becoming outdated now and seen as unacceptable which is good. No-one should be physically hurt by anyone. Don't hit your parents back or even when you're older because it makes you as bad as them and worsens the situation.

If he is hitting you either as punishment (and it's illegal where you live) or simply because he's angry, you can report him if you're comfortable to.
yeah i'm 17 and female. tbh if he had a reason to hit me i would be less sad but it was out of nowhere and there rly isn't a valid reason (i think he was just angry and saw red)

In this situation, it is not a punishment and you are a young teen. My parents stopped hitting me by your age. He is simply assaulting you and it is not okay! If you can, reach out to someone for help!
Original post by -Eirlys-
In this situation, it is not a punishment and you are a young teen. My parents stopped hitting me by your age. He is simply assaulting you and it is not okay! If you can, reach out to someone for help!

i'll repeat what i said before but apparantly his reasoning is because i was backbiting to my sister because i repeated something he said to my whole family to my sister (but i didn't realise i was meant to keep it a secret)
It is becoming illegal in Wales next year and I believe it is illegal in some other parts of the UK.
I used to get hit as a child as a punishment, but society is changing it's view on it. It is assault at the end of the day and is entirely unnecessary and simply shows that the parent cannot parent very well. My mum regrets hitting me (though my dad did most of the hitting) and she was the one who said it was a sign she could not control me but I didn't deserve to be hit. I even used to have nightmares actually. Both my parents got hit as kids so they're just repeating that behaviour. It is becoming outdated now and seen as unacceptable which is good. No-one should be physically hurt by anyone. Don't hit your parents back or even when you're older because it makes you as bad as them and worsens the situation.

If he is hitting you either as punishment (and it's illegal where you live) or simply because he's angry, you can report him if you're comfortable to.

it's a shame. hitting children does no good at all rly, there's no benefit and all that happens is that their children hits their children and so on.

i would report him but i doubt he'd get in trouble for it. in that case i would have to see him around and he would resent me and forever hold a grudge.
i'll repeat what i said before but apparantly his reasoning is because i was backbiting to my sister because i repeated something he said to my whole family to my sister (but i didn't realise i was meant to keep it a secret)

It's still not a good reason to hit you. If you feel you can, maybe you could bring it up to him when he's cooled down and tell him how you're feeling and that you feel him hitting you was completely unnecessary.
It's still not a good reason to hit you. If you feel you can, maybe you could bring it up to him when he's cooled down and tell him how you're feeling and that you feel him hitting you was completely unnecessary.

i don't want to talk to him anymore tbh. i'm just scared of him if anything (he beat up my sister really bad in january and today as well so it isn't shocking behaviour from him but i'm shocked he would do that to me)

This is not normal and you should try and ask for help if you can. Maybe try calling Childline or Action for Children for some support.
i don't want to talk to him anymore tbh. i'm just scared of him if anything (he beat up my sister really bad in january and today as well so it isn't shocking behaviour from him but i'm shocked he would do that to me)

What he's doing is assault and it's not right, you know it isn't. Your options are either stay out of his way and put up with it until you can get away, inform a family member of what's happening and maybe they can have you stay with them, contact a helpline for support and advice or you document and report the incidents to the police. It is possible that he'll stop when you're both 18+ because then you're an adult and he would realise that it then well and truly becomes assault (not that it wasn't before).
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous #1
Yes I do deal with abusive parents but never really know if it's actually illegal where I live. Can someone explain if this story is actually illegal and if I should contact someone. So basically today I felt in so didn't go into school. My parents thought I was lying and started hitting me yelling at me to go to school. I don't know what to think anymore. And I physically can't leave as I'm not old enough to yet. Can someone please suggest me what to do.

Latest

Trending

Trending