The Student Room Group

Placements and children

Hi, im a mum of 2 children , 2 and 10 months. I do not have childcare that could take my children any earlier than 8am as there are no childcare options for me any earlier than that. On top of the cost of childcare weekly for both children. Its coming out at over 1,400. My question is does the university take in the fact that you have children when organising placement. My partner works from 5am everday apart from weekends and sometimes even nights. Im worried about my ability to be able to do the placement unless they are flexible with it.
Reply 1
Original post by KirstieC09
Hi, im a mum of 2 children , 2 and 10 months. I do not have childcare that could take my children any earlier than 8am as there are no childcare options for me any earlier than that. On top of the cost of childcare weekly for both children. Its coming out at over 1,400. My question is does the university take in the fact that you have children when organising placement. My partner works from 5am everday apart from weekends and sometimes even nights. Im worried about my ability to be able to do the placement unless they are flexible with it.

@Emily_B can you add anything else to this.... thanks.

Unfortunately childcare is solely your responsibility for arranging for when you are either on placements or university.

You can ask your placement ward sister ( if you are on hospital placement) if you can perhaps change a couple of your shifts to help you..... But you won't get to change everyone.

You normally do Nightshift, Day shifts and weekends working as nursing is a 24/7 job.
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
@Emily_B can you add anything else to this.... thanks.

Unfortunately childcare is solely your responsibility for arranging for when you are either on placements or university.

You can ask your placement ward sister ( if you are on hospital placement) if you can perhaps change a couple of your shifts to help you..... But you won't get to change everyone.

You normally do Nightshift, Day shifts and weekends working as nursing is a 24/7 job.

thank you and i completely understand however, as a mother its important i can find care for my children whilst i am at university. Nursing is my dream, and im hoping there is someone that can tell me how they manage as a parent and student. I over think and i feel like i need some reassurance so i dont panic about what im going to do with my children
Reply 3

Once qualified, you can always get a job that suits you and your family hours wise.
As for while you're a student... you need to get experience of the full range of shifts, including doing long days and nights (yes, doing shifts that are 730am-830pm day shifts/8pm-8am nights that I do, or the 7am-730pm/7pm-730am shifts that other places do). Placements can't sign you off if you don't have the experience and therefore the competence to do things that you've missed because you've never done them (such as giving/taking handover and then starting planning patient care from the very start of shift).
Universities can only take so much into account when allocating placements (where they've got a couple of hundred students to place) and placements can only do so many swaps with shifts to accommodate your childcare needs.
Reply 4
Original post by Emily_B
Once qualified, you can always get a job that suits you and your family hours wise.
As for while you're a student... you need to get experience of the full range of shifts, including doing long days and nights (yes, doing shifts that are 730am-830pm day shifts/8pm-8am nights that I do, or the 7am-730pm/7pm-730am shifts that other places do). Placements can't sign you off if you don't have the experience and therefore the competence to do things that you've missed because you've never done them (such as giving/taking handover and then starting planning patient care from the very start of shift).
Universities can only take so much into account when allocating placements (where they've got a couple of hundred students to place) and placements can only do so many swaps with shifts to accommodate your childcare needs.

Thank you, for explaining this to me, it definitely helps to know what to expect. I think im just over thinking it. I am willing to do what i need to do pass my degree and get experience. It was just the childcare aspect that was worrying me, but the more i think about it, it doesn’t seem as difficult as i initially thought.
Thank you, for taking the time to reply. Its helped me gain abit more perspective.

Hey!

They do not take you having children into account when organising placement as they assume that as an adult learner who came in knowing the hours you will sort childcare out yourself. There is the £2,000 childcare grant that you get with doing an NHS course which should help out with the childcare costs. It is three shifts a week in hospital and five days a week community so you will be required to sort childcare for those periods of times.

Best of luck,
Jess - Digital Student Ambassador ARU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending