The Student Room Group

history or RS GCSE

Hello all,
I'm starting my GCSE subjects soon and have already put in my choices. However, I've been thinking about it and am seriously considering switching history to RS. I've always really enjoyed RS, including the religious parts of it (which many people dislike even though they take the subject as a GCSE), and think I will really miss it when I stop. Moreover, I have never really enjoyed history as a subject and honestly find it pretty boring.
In the end I put history as my choice because I felt that the GCSE course would be more interesting than what I have been learning so far, and my parents really want me to do history and think RS is a bad subject. I think this is because history is commonly viewed as more of a prestigious (and harder) subject.
Please help!
Original post by user3.14
Hello all,
I'm starting my GCSE subjects soon and have already put in my choices. However, I've been thinking about it and am seriously considering switching history to RS. I've always really enjoyed RS, including the religious parts of it (which many people dislike even though they take the subject as a GCSE), and think I will really miss it when I stop. Moreover, I have never really enjoyed history as a subject and honestly find it pretty boring.
In the end I put history as my choice because I felt that the GCSE course would be more interesting than what I have been learning so far, and my parents really want me to do history and think RS is a bad subject. I think this is because history is commonly viewed as more of a prestigious (and harder) subject.
Please help!

As you already enjoy RS, it may be better to take it, but you also need to consider which one you are likely to do better in. At GCSE I did find studying religion quite boring, but I really enjoyed the issues side of it and now I do RS at A-level.

Why do you think History will be more interesting at GCSE? If you aren't enjoying it now, what do you think doing a GCSE in it will do?
Hello all,
Please help!

You need to think about where you’d get the better grades. As someone who let my parents dictate a lot of my academic choices and failed miserably because of that, I highly recommend you forget what they say and do what you know you’re more capable at. For me it’s a no brainer, RS is the right choice based off of the fact that you enjoy it and get better grades.

It seems to me like you’re taking a risk choosing history and hoping it would end up ok. What do you plan to do for the future? Depending on your other GCSEs which I assume are decent subjects, no sixth form is going to say “Oh, you don’t have history. You have RS so we can’t accept you on to the course”. Unless it’s directly a history a level which I think it’s safe to assume you won’t be doing. Think about your grades and put that first. It’s not going to be easy to get good grades, I mean it is easier for a lot of people but I don’t think it’s easy for anyone. The least you could do for yourself if choose the subjects you naturally perform best in because you have an interest in that.
Reply 3
Original post by flowersinmyhair
As you already enjoy RS, it may be better to take it, but you also need to consider which one you are likely to do better in. At GCSE I did find studying religion quite boring, but I really enjoyed the issues side of it and now I do RS at A-level.

Why do you think History will be more interesting at GCSE? If you aren't enjoying it now, what do you think doing a GCSE

Original post by blitterflicker
You need to think about where you’d get the better grades. As someone who let my parents dictate a lot of my academic choices and failed miserably because of that, I highly recommend you forget what they say and do what you know you’re more capable at. For me it’s a no brainer, RS is the right choice based off of the fact that you enjoy it and get better grades.

It seems to me like you’re taking a risk choosing history and hoping it would end up ok. What do you plan to do for the future? Depending on your other GCSEs which I assume are decent subjects, no sixth form is going to say “Oh, you don’t have history. You have RS so we can’t accept you on to the course”. Unless it’s directly a history a level which I think it’s safe to assume you won’t be doing. Think about your grades and put that first. It’s not going to be easy to get good grades, I mean it is easier for a lot of people but I don’t think it’s easy for anyone. The least you could do for yourself if choose the subjects you naturally perform best in because you have an interest in that.

thank you so much I definitely think ill switch :h:
Reply 4
Hello all,
Please help!

Heya!
It seems like you enjoy RS more, so why not stick with it :h: Unis typically just wants maths and english and only some unis like Oxford will look at all grades. Why doy you think you will enjoy history more? have you looked at the content for both?

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest