The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by G8D
I've only been to the Hive once or twice. It wasn't good.

It was so awful that it was amazing IMO. Places to sit and chat, places to dance, guarantee to meet friends... :moon:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Does anyone know exactly when the Hive is closing?
Original post by LonelySoul193
Does anyone know exactly when the Hive is closing?

Post Daft Friday I think!
Original post by conway!
Got a few questions about what will happen when in my 4th year :smile: I know I'm going to France in January 2014, but I was wondering how it worked in semester 1 before that. I'll have been in Italy all year and most of the others will have spent their year in France, so I'm not sure if I'll be expected to pass the same things as them, plus all the honours options seem to be annual. Thanks if you can answer at all :smile:

Unfortunately my friend's not responded... are you sure that you're going to France in January 2014 though? Because normally it's April that you go. I don't think there are any proper exams in 4th year French. Everyone has to hand their essays in in March to keep it fair. I'd advise emailing Dougall though, he's always really helpful!
Reply 5984
Original post by sparklysparkles
Unfortunately my friend's not responded... are you sure that you're going to France in January 2014 though? Because normally it's April that you go. I don't think there are any proper exams in 4th year French. Everyone has to hand their essays in in March to keep it fair. I'd advise emailing Dougall though, he's always really helpful!

I've just e-mailed the ever useful Dougal :smile: I always feel bad e-mailing him though because he seems to be in a constant state of worry about how much work he has to do! I'm not sure now about when I go, I thought that the French term finished in April so I'd be going in January and doing exams in May/June, but to be honest I've been thinking so much about year 3 abroad I never really paid attention to what was happening after, so maybe not.
Thank you for asking!

edit: Just checked and the poor man responded to me within an hour. Have found out I go in March, and can either go to uni, volunteer in Senegal or get a work placement, and there are no assessments that go towards your grade until Senior Honours, so by that time I'll have lived in France and should be all caught up. Just in case anyone wanted to know!
(edited 11 years ago)
What is happening post hive ??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5986
Sad times about Hive :'(
Original post by JJTEASE
Sad times about Hive :'(

I know, where will all the utter ****ers spend their Thursday nights now?
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
RIP Hive (not that I've ever been there anyway, would much prefer a bigger gym :biggrin:).

What are the GUU going to do to replace it? Use existing parts of the old building?

Original post by Norton1

Harsh. I went a good few times in first and second year, not bad. More importantly, cheap as hell.
Reply 5989
Original post by Norton1

Lol, classic overly-negative university of Glasgow comment....
Apparently one of the other rooms (I have no idea which- the GUU confuses me with all its different rooms and things) is being converted into a club space, but I doubt it'll be as 'good' as Hive.
Reply 5991
Original post by Norton1

It's fine, they'll just flock to Viper instead. *shudders*
Original post by Spider Pig
Apparently one of the other rooms (I have no idea which- the GUU confuses me with all its different rooms and things) is being converted into a club space, but I doubt it'll be as 'good' as Hive.

The two rooms big enough would be the debates chamber and the dining room I guess.
Which 12 hour is better?
Hiya :smile:
I'm really sorry to intrude in the conversation about hive :/ i was just hoping someone could help me?
I'm a life sciences student at the uni and wondering if anyone could reccommend me some good places to study other than the library? It's so manically busy so would love a slightly quiter place to revise

Sorrry x
Original post by dobby_elf
I'm really sorry to intrude in the conversation about hive :/ i was just hoping someone could help me?
I'm a life sciences student at the uni and wondering if anyone could reccommend me some good places to study other than the library? It's so manically busy so would love a slightly quiter place to revise

Sorrry x

The reading room is relatively quiet, although there are only a very few spots without computers. Alternatively the QM has study rooms upstairs and the GU has study libraries. QM rooms are pretty big so are probably best for groups, but I seem to remember the GU library having individual desks.

That said I last used these things some years ago, so it might have changed.
Original post by dobby_elf

Sorrry x

Original post by Norton1
The reading room is relatively quiet, although there are only a very few spots without computers. Alternatively the QM has study rooms upstairs and the GU has study libraries. QM rooms are pretty big so are probably best for groups, but I seem to remember the GU library having individual desks.

That said I last used these things some years ago, so it might have changed.

Basically this! But also higher levels of the library!! Don't just stick to the lower ones!
Hillhead library on byers road?
Could also try the anatomy building, davidson, wolfson etc.. they must have some sort of study room.
Or try a coffee shop like artisan roast, offshore etc..?
Reply 5998
Computer cluster on floor 9 of the Boyd Orr is a bit of a trek but quiet so long as there are no lab groups using it :smile:.
RE the hive issue: http://www.gla.ac.uk/news/headline_246961_en.html

Outlines the uni's plan for the old Hive building. They are building a 5 story building, which will include expanded gym facilities as well as a new Hive and bars.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending