The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

JacksterD
Hey people, I just got my student number and email set up this wek - I guess I'm officially a student now so I figured I should come by and say hi! Hope to see everyone in October - or maybe sooner who knows :smile:

Are you a new incoming student? How come they got that stuff set up so early?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Student2806
:hi: What form is your student number in? I'm a 06xxxxx, most people in my year are 07xxxxx. By now they must have reached 10xxxxx(?)

10xxxxx it is :-)

sweetnesspink
Are you a new incoming student? How come they got that stuff set up so early?

Yeah I'm a new student, starting Computer Science next semester. Can't wait!

Dunno why it's so early. They wanted me to pre-register on websurf and now they want me to pick 120 credits worth of courses and set up an adviser meeting. It's all go :smile:
JacksterD
Dunno why it's so early. They wanted me to pre-register on websurf and now they want me to pick 120 credits worth of courses and set up an adviser meeting. It's all go :smile:

Hmm. Weird! I want to pick my classes and set up an adviser meeting lol!
But I'll sit tight until September!
Reply 1184
Does anyone know if theres somewhere where you can see how many people on a particular course got firsts, seconds etc?
sweetnesspink
Hmm. Weird! I want to pick my classes and set up an adviser meeting lol!
But I'll sit tight until September!

Have you not had your stuff through yet? Maybe they send them out in stages or something - maybe different faculties get them at different times?

Or maybe your postie nicked the letter and your place at uni... :o:
JacksterD
Have you not had your stuff through yet? Maybe they send them out in stages or something - maybe different faculties get them at different times?

Or maybe your postie nicked the letter and your place at uni... :o:

Stuff?

I had a single a4 sheet letter back in March to confirm my place and that's it so far!
Bill Shakespeare
I'm going into 2nd year politics (exciting!).
Is it dreaded 9am lectures?

Yep 9am, as someone who stays about 12 miles away from uni it was a right pain to get in for them, but I just about made nearly all of them - in the first semester anyway.

I wasn't very keen on either subject to be honest, political philosophy isn't something I was expecting to be too keen on and bar Marx/Hobbes/Locke stuff I didn't really enjoy it. Marx was quite interesting I thought and while the content wasn't as good with Hobbes and Locke the lecturer Professor Chris Berry, was excellent, probably the best lecturer I've had. I was expecting to find IR more interesting than I did in the second semester but it wasn't really my thing either. Some lecturers were pretty good but for most of the term lectures just seemed to drag on. I'd advise going to the lectures as most of the lecture notes on moodle were very vague.

The honours module choices are very good though, managed to get into the three classes I wanted too so it was worth the 9am lectures in the end :cool:
It's nice to get an unconditional going into 3rd year since I didn't get one in UCAS :mad:
Hiii everyone, how are you all?

Anyone has any ideas on societies and such?
Any other LOTR geeks? Debating maybe?

GEEKS UNITE
Well, decision day came and went, and I have a chronic inability to make decisions, so here's the deal:

I'm coming back to Glasgow.

Sort of.

I have an office in Glasgow, the money comes centrally from the AHRC so that's not a problem, and I'm teaching at Glasgow with my supervisor there. BUT, my second supervisor is at Oxford, so I'm spending one term in three (Trinity) in Oxford with the other two in Glasgow, and I'll retain the title of 'recognised student and associate of Balliol College' throughout my doctorate. So I get to keep ties and supervisors with both, but get to live in the better, cheaper, city on the same salary, and will amaze all the freshers with just how little a PhD student with two degrees actually knows about history and/or economics. It'll all be a horrible mess, but I have an office. And I'll be a freshers helper again. And I get to have £1 drinks again. Boo to the ya.
God. Well that's a mouthful! Congratulations, I guess! :smile: When are you moving back?

I still need to send in my Freshers' Helper form...

Also...which drinks are still £1?!
Back to Glasgow in 8 days :biggrin: It's only for a couple of weeks and it's for the purpose of work, but I'm still excited. Despite studying there for 4 years I've never actually been there in the middle of the summer. Having worked in Durham University Library for the last few weeks I'm intrigued to see how quiet/busy campus is in comparison at this time of year.
Student2806
Back to Glasgow in 8 days :biggrin: It's only for a couple of weeks and it's for the purpose of work, but I'm still excited. Despite studying there for 4 years I've never actually been there in the middle of the summer. Having worked in Durham University Library for the last few weeks I'm intrigued to see how quiet/busy campus is in comparison at this time of year.

It will be really quiet, I've been up there - went to the QMU for lunch, there were some people about but not a lot.
Stace-is-Ace
God. Well that's a mouthful! Congratulations, I guess! :smile: When are you moving back?

I still need to send in my Freshers' Helper form...

Also...which drinks are still £1?!

I move back into my new old flat (the place I used to stay, my old flatmate still lives there and was looking for a roommate again, although now we have two bedrooms and a mahoosive living room rather than three bedrooms and no living room) on the second of August. I've then got two conferences to go to and a few things to do for the NHS in Aug, probably hit the gym while the going is good (and to give me a higher base from which to fall from in September) and then start prepping the liver for FW. You should really get your form in quickly.

£1 Sunday-Thursday still exists at Viper, no? I know Bamboo still does it, but that place hasn't been good since 2006. Literally. Aren't some things in the GUU still £1, especially on Fridays? The licensing laws are different in England- not that that matters, since £3 doubles and £2 bottles of beer with just £4 entry before 11.30 are their idea of 'promos'. Even if the prices double in Glasgow, it'll still be a whack cheaper, not to mention that I'm paying £75 a month less in rent.
Student2806

Glasgow is pretty dead on campus over summer, just the resit/final years/postgrads who float around, and even then, not a lot. The occasional conference, but that's about it. The club crowd gets quite different, all the locals (technically me) come out to play and it's only busy on the weekends. I still think Glasgow's library is the best one I've used though- Oxford's are a bit hit and miss- some of them are stunning to look at but horrible to spend more than two hours in. Cambridge's is just merde, and there's never anything I need in my college's library, which is a shame since it's the only place open past 10pm.
0404343m
I move back into my new old flat (the place I used to stay, my old flatmate still lives there and was looking for a roommate again, although now we have two bedrooms and a mahoosive living room rather than three bedrooms and no living room) on the second of August. I've then got two conferences to go to and a few things to do for the NHS in Aug, probably hit the gym while the going is good (and to give me a higher base from which to fall from in September) and then start prepping the liver for FW. You should really get your form in quickly.

£1 Sunday-Thursday still exists at Viper, no? I know Bamboo still does it, but that place hasn't been good since 2006. Literally. Aren't some things in the GUU still £1, especially on Fridays? The licensing laws are different in England- not that that matters, since £3 doubles and £2 bottles of beer with just £4 entry before 11.30 are their idea of 'promos'. Even if the prices double in Glasgow, it'll still be a whack cheaper, not to mention that I'm paying £75 a month less in rent.

My god... after all the time that I've seen you posting and thinking "that guy has a messed up user name" I just realised it's your matriculation number. God I'm dumb - should probably of went to Strathclyde then :/
0404343m
Glasgow is pretty dead on campus over summer, just the resit/final years/postgrads who float around, and even then, not a lot. The occasional conference, but that's about it. The club crowd gets quite different, all the locals (technically me) come out to play and it's only busy on the weekends. I still think Glasgow's library is the best one I've used though- Oxford's are a bit hit and miss- some of them are stunning to look at but horrible to spend more than two hours in. Cambridge's is just merde, and there's never anything I need in my college's library, which is a shame since it's the only place open past 10pm.

I count myself extremely lucky to have such a good library with everything in one place. At the moment Durham has three scattered at just about opposite ends of the city. Main Library is OK, but it isn't brilliant given the university's reputation and doesn't hold a candle to Glasgow's :no: I guess the collegiate system means a huge central library isn't really necessary.
Steverockin
My god... after all the time that I've seen you posting and thinking "that guy has a messed up user name" I just realised it's your matriculation number. God I'm dumb - should probably of went to Strathclyde then :/

I actually have an account with a proper username, but a) I've forgotten the password for it and b) I'd started using this back in the days I was interested in preserving my anonymity, so by the time I wasn't interested in that this had hundreds of posts, so I've stuck with it. It's starting to show my age really badly though- since the new starts are 10xxxxx - that said, I was 17 when university began, and there are least some first years that are 20 after taking a gap year after English school, so it's not as bad as it seems... yet.
Student2806
I count myself extremely lucky to have such a good library with everything in one place. At the moment Durham has three scattered at just about opposite ends of the city. Main Library is OK, but it isn't brilliant given the university's reputation and doesn't hold a candle to Glasgow's :no: I guess the collegiate system means a huge central library isn't really necessary.

Do the Durham colleges have big libraries then? I had an offer for Hatfield back in the day, but didn't really get the feel for Durham. Oxford's have decent libraries at the bigger/older colleges, but the main collection might be 9m volumes, but only 1m is on shelf. 2/3 of everything in Oxford is confined to be consulted in the library only. Given that Glasgow has virtually everything on shelf that you can take home, and that inter-library-loan is only marginally slower than requesting books from the off-site storage unit, then I really think Glasgow's library is one of the very best in the UK, certainly the best I've used, and I've been to about 20. St Andrews were supposedly getting a new one, although with the finances right now that's been cancelled- Aberdeen's is under way and Edinburgh's is getting refurbished, so in five years time this might not be the case, but I think for resources, Glasgow University is second to no one in Scotland. I'm actually looking forward to getting back there to research, this mob have never even heard of padded/adjustable seats. Research is, quite literally, a pain in the arse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending