The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Positive
From what they've written I understand that I should have the contract prior to arriving there, which doesn't make any sense, cause they haven't sent anything like that.

I found it. You can download your contract on the site where you accepted your accommodation offer. https://onlineapps.accom.gla.ac.uk/validatestudent.aspx

:colone:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
0404343m
I'm teaching two classes back to back, have an office hour and then marking every Monday, so I'm looking at six hours solid.

In other words, enough of your moaning. You bunch of failed academics you.

Aye, but you've got a stipend! And I know I've got it sweet with my whole 10 hours of lectures :biggrin:
River85
Apologies for that PM I sent (was it last week?). Just needed a whinge I just get a bit frustrated at these people who seem to think that attending a "top ten" uni will suddenly have everyone creaming all over them.

Anyhoo can anyone suggestion some good music shops I can visit in Glasgow? I know a couple independent shops but would just like to hear your suggestions. Nothing I like more than spending the day in music and book shops plus a couple of museums and I know Glasgow will be an excellent place for this

Thanks all

HMV. Aye it's a big company and yes it has done away with its student discount, but there's so much music and the prices are reasonable (Picked up You Just Can't Beat It: The Best of the Beat and The Best of The Specials in their 2 for a tenner deal recently, which is why I'm in a good mood with them....). Probably not news to you, but I thought I'd stick my oar in anyway :biggrin:
Reply 1583
If anyone's interested, this year I'll be studying:

Level 2 Politics
Level 2 Central and Eastern European Studies
Level 1 Economic and Social History
Level 1C History (Scotland before 1707)

0404343m
Yeah, I found that out a couple of days ago- and posted on here, infact. Do keep up :wink: Science is up to AAAB too.

Before I posted it I had a quick look on page 41 to see if anyone was talking about it but didn't bother going as low as 40. :p:

River85
Anyhoo can anyone suggestion some good music shops I can visit in Glasgow? I know a couple independent shops but would just like to hear your suggestions. Nothing I like more than spending the day in music and book shops plus a couple of museums and I know Glasgow will be an excellent place for this :yep:

Thanks all :hat2:

Just have a wander about the Byres Road area and you'll find some great wee independent shops. Also, there's a book shop near Otago Street that I want to like solely because it looks like Black Books inside. Tonnes of books messily crammed into shelves or stacked in huge messy towers on the floor in no particular order. :h:
0404343m
Yeah, I found that out a couple of days ago- and posted on here, infact. Do keep up :wink: Science is up to AAAB too.

I got AABBC at first sitting, so I might've got a conditional. I ended up with AAABBB, so they'd probably still have taken me. Point is, those grades were probably enough to put me top 5% of my year. Other schools had 40% of their kids getting AAAAB or better.

That's crazy, I got in with ABBC. My school must only be sending out about 5 people to mainstream uni courses then, if that.
foxo

Just have a wander about the Byres Road area and you'll find some great wee independent shops. Also, there's a book shop near Otago Street that I want to like solely because it looks like Black Books inside. Tonnes of books messily crammed into shelves or stacked in huge messy towers on the floor in no particular order. :h:

I think you are describing Voltaire and Rousseau? I love it! plus there are two cats that roam about the shop - awesome! xD
Reply 1586
Steverockin
I think you are describing Voltaire and Rousseau? I love it! plus there are two cats that roam about the shop - awesome! xD

Possibly. With a name like that I bet I'll be able to get some good books for political thought this year. :yy:

Are you thinking of the place next to a Vegan teahouse name Tchai Ovna?

foxo
Possibly. With a name like that I bet I'll be able to get some good books for political thought this year. :yy:

Are you thinking of the place next to a Vegan teahouse name Tchai Ovna?

yeah, thats the one, I knew from the way you described it :P

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=voltaire+and+rousseau+bookshop+glasgow&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=voltaire+and+rousseau+bookshop&hnear=Glasgow,+City+of+Glasgow&cid=17784911370481809186

I get all my Philosophy books there so you should definitely get some Politics books; Political Philosophy most likely.
Reply 1588
Steverockin
yeah, thats the one, I knew from the way you described it :P

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=voltaire+and+rousseau+bookshop+glasgow&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=voltaire+and+rousseau+bookshop&hnear=Glasgow,+City+of+Glasgow&cid=17784911370481809186

I get all my Philosophy books there so you should definitely get some Politics books; Political Philosophy most likely.

Excellent, I'll have a gander. Last time I was there I was in a rush and the place was such a mess I couldn't really face trying to find anything. :ahee:

Edit: Nice, there's a blog about it here complete with photographs.
foxo
Excellent, I'll have a gander. Last time I was there I was in a rush and the place was such a mess I couldn't really face trying to find anything. :ahee:

If you switch to 2AM you have an outside chance of me teaching you. If that's not an incentive, I don't know what is.

Probably History 1B and 2Sco next semester, and then ESH for the rest of the PhD. It's not like I even need the money, it's just essential experience which, if I want a job, I have to do. I must say though, the Caley course that I'm teaching looks very good. We could learn a thing or two from that.
foxo

As much as I love V&R, just don't go in with the expectation of being able to find something specific. You'll be able to find loads of great books, but usually not the one you went in with hopes to find.
foxo

Black Books goes nationwide :teehee:
Reply 1592
TheOneWho
As much as I love V&R, just don't go in with the expectation of being able to find something specific. You'll be able to find loads of great books, but usually not the one you went in with hopes to find.

Ach, that's fine. I'm sure there's a few gems in there.
Reply 1593
How much will I need for Fresher's week? I'll be staying at Murano, and have already paid for my fresher's pass.
I'm assuming that I won't need any but I'm just asking to make sure. Any books that would be good to have or any insider tips on how to best survive these courses:

ECONOMIC & SOCIAL HISTORY 1A
SOCIOLOGY 1B
HISTORY 2EM: CULTURE & SOCIETY IN EUROPE 1550- 1715

It's so weird that having an apartment with a friend is the same, if not cheaper, than sharing a room with someone in the halls. Yay cutting down my expenses :biggrin: /random observation
Reply 1595
Duckelf
How much will I need for Fresher's week? I'll be staying at Murano, and have already paid for my fresher's pass.

From what I've heard, it depends completely on how much you intend to drink - you could spend loads or very little. The advice I've been given is to get as much free stuff as possible!

I realise this doesn't answer your question, but I don't think there is a straight answer for it!
Reply 1596
Anyone catch the Prince at central station today?
Duckelf

I would set aside £100, but it depends, are you going out drinking every night?
Reply 1598
Rizzletastic
I would set aside £100, but it depends, are you going out drinking every night?

Probably. I have around £120-150 saved up for it, but I'm not sure if that will be enough. I've heard some horror stories of people spending £500+ which scares me a bit.
Reply 1599
Duckelf
Probably. I have around £120-150 saved up for it, but I'm not sure if that will be enough. I've heard some horror stories of people spending £500+ which scares me a bit.

They're probably liars, heroin addicts or rich St. Andrews students. Wouldn't worry about it. :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending