The Student Room Group

Leeds Beckett or UWE Bristol Filmmaking ?

Got offers from both unis but struggling to choose? Which one is better? PS: also got an offer from Hertfordshire
What are your interests/ambitions?

UWE isn’t CILECT but it’s good if you’re interested in wildlife filmmaking.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
What are your interests/ambitions?

UWE isn’t CILECT but it’s good if you’re interested in wildlife filmmaking.

Thank you so much for replying to me!
I wish to become a film director/ storyteller. I am not sure which uni can give me a better contact with the industry. People say that guardian rank is important which kind of makes me uncertain, indeed living expenses will be part of the consideration too.
Original post by fishstory
Thank you so much for replying to me!
I wish to become a film director/ storyteller. I am not sure which uni can give me a better contact with the industry. People say that guardian rank is important which kind of makes me uncertain, indeed living expenses will be part of the consideration too.

Leeds Beckett and Herts are CILECT members. That matters much much more than guardian (or any other) ranking for film schools
I’m on a Film Production course and it’s awful. I wouldn’t recommend you undertake such degrees.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Leeds Beckett and Herts are CILECT members. That matters much much more than guardian (or any other) ranking for film schools

Thank you so much! That helps a lot :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I’m on a Film Production course and it’s awful. I wouldn’t recommend you undertake such degrees.

Hi, thank you for replying to my question.:smile: Hope you are getting better and alright with the course. Do you mind telling me which uni are you studying at?
Hi, thank you for replying to my question.:smile: Hope you are getting better and alright with the course. Do you mind telling me which uni are you studying at?

You can figure it out. I wouldn’t study at any of them to be honest they are all awful. Better off doing an apprenticeship or something similar.
Reply 8
You can figure it out. I wouldn’t study at any of them to be honest they are all awful. Better off doing an apprenticeship or something similar.

Alright, thank you so much, you are right at some points, what really makes them awful tho?
Alright, thank you so much, you are right at some points, what really makes them awful tho?

I would encourage you to read this post on this thread as this displays why Film Production courses are a waste of time fairly accurately.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5210328

I copied and pasted this but it’s worth mentioning.
Honestly if are serious about making films I would either go to university and do a traditional degree (Christopher Nolan chose to go to UCL specifically for the filming equipment) and get involved with the film societies at university or do an apprenticeship as there a surprising amount in film. No one cares about which university you went to with film. They care about your portfolio.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
That's negative! that just means the degree isn't for you, it isn't reflective of everyone's experience.
Original post by jayks
That's negative! that just means the degree isn't for you, it isn't reflective of everyone's experience.
Ermmm according to discoveruni only 32% of students on the Film Production course say that staff value students opnions, so yes it does in this case hahaha. Link here .
Ermmm according to discoveruni only 32% of students on the Film Production course say that staff value students opnions, so yes it does in this case hahaha. Link here .

100% employment with 75% saying their employment is helping them with their future plans.

Given that you posted before you started your degree that you didn’t want to do that degree or go to university and felt pressured into it by your parents to avoid long term unemployment I don’t think your experience is that helpful to applicants who ARE enthusiastic about what they want to study. It comes across more like you just want to spread misery because you’re unhappy.
Original post by PQ
100% employment with 75% saying their employment is helping them with their future plans.
Given that you posted before you started your degree that you didn’t want to do that degree or go to university and felt pressured into it by your parents to avoid long term unemployment I don’t think your experience is that helpful to applicants who ARE enthusiastic about what they want to study. It comes across more like you just want to spread misery because you’re unhappy.

Yes, but if staff don't value students opinions on a course that they are paying £27,000 to attended then that really does not reflect very highly on the course and the staff who work there, does it?
(edited 6 days ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending