The Student Room Group

university acceptance

i was wondering if universitys dont accept applications from students who havent studied anything like the course theyre applying for. for example at the moment i am studying fashion design and textiles at college yet i want to study media and comms / comms,film and tv for a degree. Do you think any universitys would accept my application with having brief involvement to do with media and comms?
Reply 1
Original post by s45533593
i was wondering if universitys dont accept applications from students who havent studied anything like the course theyre applying for. for example at the moment i am studying fashion design and textiles at college yet i want to study media and comms / comms,film and tv for a degree. Do you think any universitys would accept my application with having brief involvement to do with media and comms?

Hi! It depends where you’re applying to - some universities have certain subject requirements, while others are more flexible and accept a range of previous subjects. There will definitely be some out there that allow it, you might just have to have a look around and see which ones have requirements you can meet.

Most media courses will ask for a portfolio of work, particularly if you are studying different subjects at the moment
Reply 3
Original post by KK_
Hi! It depends where you’re applying to - some universities have certain subject requirements, while others are more flexible and accept a range of previous subjects. There will definitely be some out there that allow it, you might just have to have a look around and see which ones have requirements you can meet.

Thanks for your reply!! Im thinking of NTU or LJM two for each and then Bath Spa none of them specifically ask for a portfolio but i cant find any information about them wanting students to have studied the subject before applying. Do you know if any of those prefer the applicants to have studied the subject beforehand?
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Most media courses will ask for a portfolio of work, particularly if you are studying different subjects at the moment

thanks for replying !! im thinking of applying to NTU and LJM and neither on their websites ask for portfolios when applying for the course. Do the universities ask for portfolios after applications are sent off?
Reply 5
Thanks for your reply!! Im thinking of NTU or LJM two for each and then Bath Spa none of them specifically ask for a portfolio but i cant find any information about them wanting students to have studied the subject before applying. Do you know if any of those prefer the applicants to have studied the subject beforehand?

No worries! If they have nothing about certain subject requirements on their website then they won’t mind what subjects you are studying, and will be unlikely to have biases towards people studying certain subjects (they certainly don’t strike me as being places that would do that anyway, and the only places I know of that do this are places like Oxbridge). Plus, not everyone has the ability to study subjects at A-level that are related to their degree of choice, so they have to keep it as open as possible for that reason. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by KK_
No worries! If they have nothing about certain subject requirements on their website then they won’t mind what subjects you are studying, and will be unlikely to have biases towards people studying certain subjects (they certainly don’t strike me as being places that would do that anyway, and the only places I know of that do this are places like Oxbridge). Plus, not everyone has the ability to study subjects at A-level that are related to their degree of choice, so they have to keep it as open as possible for that reason. Hope this helps :smile:

thank you so much 😁😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending