The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Uclan or lancaster

Which uni is better for a law degree
If you look at any of the league tables for law, Lancaster Uni ranks much higher than UCLAN. Also, Lancaster Uni as a whole ranks in the top 10-20 on most tables. Although league tables face a lot of criticism, they are a good starting point for your research in where to apply to.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
This has been discussed already on this thread
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7092225
Original post by normaw
If you look at any of the league tables for law, Lancaster Uni ranks much higher than UCLAN. Also, Lancaster Uni as a whole ranks in the top 10-20 on most tables. Although league tables face a lot of criticism, they are a good starting point for your research in where to apply to.

Okay thank you, I guess lancaster is better then
Original post by hungrysalamander
This has been discussed already on this thread
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7092225

The chat was kind of confusing were most people saying uclan or lancaster u think
Original post by Hafsah123123
The chat was kind of confusing were most people saying uclan or lancaster u think

If you have the grades for Lancaster then definitely go for it instead of UCLAN. I'm not too familiar with law but the advice on the thread says you should go to the best possible university to be able to work for top law firms.
Okay thank you, I guess lancaster is better then

Definitely. Lancaster is a much better choice than UCLAN.
Reply 7

what exactly do you mean by which is better? like what would make a good law degree to you and uni experience?

the OP in that other thread who asked the same question had wrote many, many threads before that one you saw explained their main concern was that they wanted to be a 'really rich lawyer' and wanted to know if they could compete for jobs with a uclan degree. the answer was no, because they would be competing with applicants from unis with better reputations. the users who said it didn't matter which uni they went to didn't know becoming a rich lawyer was OP's ultimate goal :smile: this might not be your goal tho so you need to share what your main concerns are in a law degree - but yes, to echo someone above Lancaster has a better reputation for law.
Anyone else have any recent experiences of studying Law at UCLAN or Lancaster Uni please? Thinking of 2023 entry and thinking of firming Lancaster and insuring either UCLAN or Leeds Beckett.

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone else have any recent experiences of studying Law at UCLAN or Lancaster Uni please? Thinking of 2023 entry and thinking of firming Lancaster and insuring either UCLAN or Leeds Beckett.

Thanks

Hi,

Not a law student myself, but would strongly recommend you book onto an Offer Holder Event and visit if possible. Visiting campus before choosing my firm/insurance choices contributed a lot to the thought process behind choosing which universities I wanted to attend.

I've attached a link to the LLB Law course page below, take a look through the admission requirements and the course content:
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/law-llb-hons-m100/

Hope this helped!

^Harry (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Thanks Harry we are booked onto the offer holder day. I have visited Lancaster fairly recently as my elder child insured it but went to his firm.

The Halls system at Lancaster sounds like it bundles people together without any thought into who may or may not get on with others and does all the accommodation have some shared social space? I know a few in my older childs year who went to Lancaster with varying experiences (but no one seems to be loving it). One doesn’t even speak to his flat mates saying they all disappear to eat in own rooms and he’s also still not even met anyone on his course either as most are international students. So comes home most weekends.
Original post by GreyFriarsBobby1
Thanks Harry we are booked onto the offer holder day. I have visited Lancaster fairly recently as my elder child insured it but went to his firm.

The Halls system at Lancaster sounds like it bundles people together without any thought into who may or may not get on with others and does all the accommodation have some shared social space? I know a few in my older childs year who went to Lancaster with varying experiences (but no one seems to be loving it). One doesn’t even speak to his flat mates saying they all disappear to eat in own rooms and he’s also still not even met anyone on his course either as most are international students. So comes home most weekends.

Hi @GreyFriarsBobby1

Glad to hear that you have booked onto an offer holder day. It was coming and visiting the campus that solidified my choice of Lancaster. The offer holder days allow you to learn a bit more about Lancaster and determine whether it is the right place for you.

In my first year flat there were people coming from a range of different subject areas. I found this to be good as I got on well with the majority of them but, wouldn’t have met them otherwise. In fact, this is my fifth year in Lancaster and I’m still living with one of my first year flatmates. If you don’t get on well with your flat you can talk to the college advisory team and they are often able to resolve issues.

In my first year we used the kitchen as our social space. It had enough chairs for us all to sit around the table and play games. Townhouses have more social space as the whole downstairs is communal with a kitchen and open plan living room.

Sorry to hear that your friend isn’t having the best time. In my first year I found that joining societies really helped me to make friends as the people there will have a common interest which makes it easier to build friendships from.

Hope this helps!

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
(edited 1 year ago)
Just thinking about 2023 entry for Law. We have visited both Uni’s for AVD’s and surprisingly overall UCLAN came across very well and actually much better than Lancaster.

They have obviously recently spent money on new facilities at UCLAN and have thrown money, time, effort and thought into the AVD’s and also with the Campus being right in the heart of the city the uni seemed to have an easy convenient feel
to it in terms of accommodation, food shopping, shopping and nightlife all easily available within close proximity and a short easy walking distance.

Whereas, in comparison Lancaster Uni seemed to be resting on its laurels, made minimum effort in terms of the AVD, with all support services crammed into one narrow area, no or poor signage and only available first thing in the morning when accommodation tours were on and had vanished later on and largely any support services available first thing when we were ushered into
waiting in a room for 30 minutes and weren’t allowed anytime to speak to anyone seemed to be staffed mainly by current students.

Obviously Lancaster has the better reputation but the actual Uni Campus seemed quite soulless, lonely, deserted, remote and almost had a depressing feel to it.

I think my daughters heart says firm UCLAN and insure Lancaster but her head is telling her firm Lancaster and insure UCLAN.

Before the AVD we were thinking she would be mad to choose UCLAN over Lancaster now we are much less sure.

Also she seemed more at home, more comfortable and to enjoy the UCLAN day better where as some of her fellow prospective students at Lancaster seemed more aloof and more like Oxbridge rejects/types.

Lancaster have given her a very good contextual offer which is only just above the standard offer made by UCLAN.

Any thoughts or more recent experiences from either?

Thanks
Does anyone know when the accommodation portals open or when you choose accommodation at UCLAN and Lancaster please?
Do you choose accommodation for just your first choice or do you choose for firm and insurance?
Also do you get a deposit back if you don’t end up going do you receive the deposit back? Thinking about Uni managed for both rather than private.
Any top tips for a quiet student.
Does anyone know when the accommodation portals open or when you choose accommodation at UCLAN and Lancaster please?
Do you choose accommodation for just your first choice or do you choose for firm and insurance?
Also do you get a deposit back if you don’t end up going do you receive the deposit back? Thinking about Uni managed for both rather than private.

Hi!
I am a current third-year history student at Lancaster University and thought I might be able to help with this. For Lancaster, there is a lot of information about accommodation on this page:

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/#where-will-i-live-after-first-year-403345-13

For first years, the accommodation portal opens in June. I believe you only apply for accommodation at your firm choice, but I don't know if this would have changed since I was in first year.

As someone mentioned above, Lancaster has townhouses which are houses with 12 students in, which is quite a lot for one 'unit' of accommodation. I am a very quiet student, but chose to go for a townhouse on the basis that an exposure to a larger group of people would help me make friends- and it did! I still live with one of my first year housemates now, and although I wasn't that close to the others in my house in first year, they all invited me out throughout the year and I got along well with them. Obviously this method of deciding to choose a busier environment as a quiet person might not work for everyone, but there are also smaller accommodation options which have 6 people, and even studio apartments available.

Please let me know if you have any other questions,
~ Georgia
Just thinking about 2023 entry for Law. We have visited both Uni’s for AVD’s and surprisingly overall UCLAN came across very well and actually much better than Lancaster.

They have obviously recently spent money on new facilities at UCLAN and have thrown money, time, effort and thought into the AVD’s and also with the Campus being right in the heart of the city the uni seemed to have an easy convenient feel
to it in terms of accommodation, food shopping, shopping and nightlife all easily available within close proximity and a short easy walking distance.

Whereas, in comparison Lancaster Uni seemed to be resting on its laurels, made minimum effort in terms of the AVD, with all support services crammed into one narrow area, no or poor signage and only available first thing in the morning when accommodation tours were on and had vanished later on and largely any support services available first thing when we were ushered into
waiting in a room for 30 minutes and weren’t allowed anytime to speak to anyone seemed to be staffed mainly by current students.

Obviously Lancaster has the better reputation but the actual Uni Campus seemed quite soulless, lonely, deserted, remote and almost had a depressing feel to it.

I think my daughters heart says firm UCLAN and insure Lancaster but her head is telling her firm Lancaster and insure UCLAN.

Before the AVD we were thinking she would be mad to choose UCLAN over Lancaster now we are much less sure.

Also she seemed more at home, more comfortable and to enjoy the UCLAN day better where as some of her fellow prospective students at Lancaster seemed more aloof and more like Oxbridge rejects/types.

Lancaster have given her a very good contextual offer which is only just above the standard offer made by UCLAN.

Thanks

Hi Anon,

Sorry to hear that you didn’t have the best time at your Offer Holder Event, I have passed on your feedback and hopefully we can do better at future events.

I think your daughter should go to the uni where she feels the most comfortable, ultimately it’s a personal decision as you’ll want to have a good time for the 3+ years that you’re there.

One of the reasons why I chose Lancaster was because it was a campus uni. I have found campus to be a really nice place to be. It has quite a few green spaces and it was lovely to sit in the sun in Alexandra square last Friday whilst eating my lunch. The campus style means that all the classes are a walkable distance from each other, with it being approximately 20 mins from end to end. The campus also feels very safe and has pretty much everything you need including corner shops, restaurants/cafes/bars and even hairdressers. The uni campus is about a 15 min bus ride away from the centre of town so it isn’t too far away to pop into town or commute if you live off campus. Campus is usually quite lively with students so I’m not sure why it came across as deserted. Perhaps if you visited on a weekend or during the months break for Easter then it would be much quieter.

I have found the students at Lancaster to be very friendly and down to Earth and can definitely say that I have made some friends for life here.

As an incoming undergraduate who has accepted a place at Lancaster you would be invited to apply for accommodation from June of the year that you plan to start. Offers of accommodation are then made after A Level results day in August. Once you have an offer you have 7 days to accept it. You only pay the deposit on accepting the offer in August so you should know which uni you’re going to at that point. You should apply for accommodation at Lancaster if you have us down as a firm or insurance place. If you are an incoming full time undergraduate student and have Lancaster as your firm choice on UCAS and apply for accommodation by the 10th August then you should be guaranteed a room. If you have Lancaster as your insurance place then there is no formal guarantee but, the accommodation team is usually able to provide accommodation for many insurance place students and they can tell you about alternative options if need be.

I am quite a quiet student so chose accommodation in Furness college as it is one of the smaller colleges which felt more manageable. I stayed in Superior En-suite which has 8 students per flat. I found that to be a good number as there were enough people to interact with and find people with similar interests. I ended up getting on well with most of them. However, if you wish you can get rooms in smaller flats. Bowland tower en-suite for example has 5 or 6 students per flat. And the smaller houses in Bowland Hall and County’s John Creed building have 3-4 students sharing.
Finally, Furness Perimeter (shared bathrooms) has 4-6 people per flat.

Best of luck to your daughter with whatever she chooses. If hearing a student perspective on anything would help her to make her decision please feel free to send a reply here or chat to current students at: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/

Hope that helps!
- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador

Thanks

Hi there,

It's great to hear that you enjoyed our Offer holder day and were impressed with our new facilities. Like you mentioned it is very convenient that our Preston campus is located right in the heart of the city surrounded by independent shops, high street favourites, cafes, bars and plenty of beautiful green spaces to relax and unwind in. We are located only a 10minute walk from Preston train station offer great links to Manchester and Liverpool and beautiful scenery in the Lake district only a short drive away.

We understand that choosing where to go to university is a big decision and wherever you choose to go you have to choose the right place for you to get the best experience over the next 3 years.

Whatever you choose we wish you the best for the future! If you have any questions please do let me know and I will be happy to help! :smile:
Best wishes,
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending