The Student Room Group

Missed Uni Open Days

I know how important attending open days are. However, I missed the opportunities for my chosen universities. Will this affect my application ?
Hi @prosperous-trico

It will not affect your application. Open Days are useful for yourself to get an idea of what the university is like. Many universities offer Offer Holder Days so you will still have the chance to visit and get a feel for the universities you have offers for before making your decision on where to go.

Hope this helps,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE student
University of Southampton
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @prosperous-trico

It will not affect your application. Open Days are useful for yourself to get an idea of what the university is like. Many universities offer Offer Holder Days so you will still have the chance to visit and get a feel for the universities you have offers for before making your decision on where to go.

Hope this helps,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE student
University of Southampton

Thank you, I thought it was a way to prove that you are more determined than others to get into that particular university.
Original post by prosperous-trico
I know how important attending open days are. However, I missed the opportunities for my chosen universities. Will this affect my application ?

Hiya,

I'm a current 3rd year astrophysics and cosmology student at Lancaster Uni and as I was applying to uni during covid, I went to 0 open days! It's really not necessary if you didn't get the chance to go, so don't worry about it at all, it's more for prospective student to get a feel of campus / uni facilities / see accom / features of the uni itself to see if it's something that would appeal to you and if it's somewhere you picture yourself spending the next few years in.
If you're wanting to look at unis and have tours, a lot of them have vitrual tours either on their websites or on youtube. Something else I did was see if there were students that made videos (tiktoks or youtube videos) that were "day in the life's" at unis I wanted to go to, doing courses I wanted to apply to. You get a really good feel of places through a students perspective rather than the uni, so I'd highly recommend doing that if you're wanting to explore that.

I hope this all helps and wishing you all the best for your future! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
-- Arya (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hiya,

I'm a current 3rd year astrophysics and cosmology student at Lancaster Uni and as I was applying to uni during covid, I went to 0 open days! It's really not necessary if you didn't get the chance to go, so don't worry about it at all, it's more for prospective student to get a feel of campus / uni facilities / see accom / features of the uni itself to see if it's something that would appeal to you and if it's somewhere you picture yourself spending the next few years in.
If you're wanting to look at unis and have tours, a lot of them have vitrual tours either on their websites or on youtube. Something else I did was see if there were students that made videos (tiktoks or youtube videos) that were "day in the life's" at unis I wanted to go to, doing courses I wanted to apply to. You get a really good feel of places through a students perspective rather than the uni, so I'd highly recommend doing that if you're wanting to explore that.

I hope this all helps and wishing you all the best for your future! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
-- Arya (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Hi Arya, you're right, watching days in the life on youtube is certainly insightful when deciding which uni is best for you. It seems I was cautious for no reason. Your response was relieving, thank you.
Reply 5
Just make sure you do some solid research online, maybe reach out to current students, and show in your application that you've still got the lowdown on why you want to be there.

Hi there!

Open days are just a great way to have a look around universities and see which one is right for you. However, please don't worry if you have missed them as they don't effect your application!

Most universities will host offer holder days, where you can get taster sessions of your course and have a good look around campus and have a chat to the staff as well!

I hope this helps!
-Rebecca, UCLan

The importance (or more accurately, value) of open days isn't in terms of admissions, it's for you as an applicant to see what the unis are like and be able to make an informed decision on which unis to apply to and which offers to firm/insure :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you, I thought it was a way to prove that you are more determined than others to get into that particular university.

Unis dont use 'Did they come to the Open Day' as a secret scoring test - they dont even bother trying to tie the two things up.

If you want to get an idea of what a Uni looks like / feels like, then have a look for Open Day and Campus Tour films on YouTube - you might also find some relevant subject presentations there as well.
And just to note that you can still visit the campus and may be able to arrange a tour anyway. You'll be there 3-4 years, it's worth the trip.

Visiting will give a more realistic impression than a website or YouTube video which will have been polished within an inch of its life by the Marketing team.
Reply 10
Original post by Admit-One
And just to note that you can still visit the campus and may be able to arrange a tour anyway. You'll be there 3-4 years, it's worth the trip.

Visiting will give a more realistic impression than a website or YouTube video which will have been polished within an inch of its life by the Marketing team.

Absolutely this.Son had two unis he had carefully selected that after visiting he did not fancy attending!Get there if you can,talk to students and ask loads of questions
Most universities will have opportunities for offer holders/applicants to visit in person in the spring

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending