The Student Room Group

I need help with post 16 options

I’m currently in year 11 and I need to start applying to sixth forms/ colleges my main options right now are WQE, beauchamp and Robert smyth.
The courses I want to do are
Health and social care
Psychology
Biology
However as RSA doesn’t offer the health and social I would do either sociology or Spanish. Anyone have any advice on any of the subjects or the colleges?
Reply 1
Original post by K.aa
I’m currently in year 11 and I need to start applying to sixth forms/ colleges my main options right now are WQE, beauchamp and Robert smyth.
Health and social care
Psychology
Biology
However as RSA doesn’t offer the health and social I would do either sociology or Spanish. Anyone have any advice on any of the subjects or the colleges?

i have the exact same issue, ive been getting a lot of negativity about wqe so im thinking about beauchamp. but the beauchamp city sixth form is really strict and you have to stay in school for most the day. and then qe is very independent and doesnt offer much help to low achievers. although qe does have a 99% pass rate so im not sure.
Original post by rxmana
i have the exact same issue, ive been getting a lot of negativity about wqe so im thinking about beauchamp. but the beauchamp city sixth form is really strict and you have to stay in school for most the day. and then qe is very independent and doesnt offer much help to low achievers. although qe does have a 99% pass rate so im not sure.

Keep in mind 99% pass rate usually relates to A*-E, E isn't exactly a desirable grade. I know when I was looking through sixth forms some of them added exactly how many of each grade they got, separated by subject so see if you can find one of them/information to see how well schools do with pupils getting A*-B
Reply 3
Original post by AmIReallyHere
Keep in mind 99% pass rate usually relates to A*-E, E isn't exactly a desirable grade. I know when I was looking through sixth forms some of them added exactly how many of each grade they got, separated by subject so see if you can find one of them/information to see how well schools do with pupils getting A*-B

WQE- 13.9% (out of 912 students) achieving AAB or higher
Beauchamp- 19.7% (out of 396 students) achieving AAB or higher
WQE- average grade is C+
Beauchamp- average grade is B-
I'm worried that QE is only beneficial for students who come in with really good grade and not for average students
Original post by rxmana
WQE- average grade is C+
I'm worried that QE is only beneficial for students who come in with really good grade and not for average students

If you feel like you won't be supported there look around on their website /ask staff or students about support systems there. You could also just go with your gut instinct and not apply!

Original post by K.aa
Health and social care
Psychology
Biology

Just check wherever you want to go to next accepts BTECs!
Reply 5
Original post by AmIReallyHere
If you feel like you won't be supported there look around on their website /ask staff or students about support systems there. You could also just go with your gut instinct and not apply!

Just check wherever you want to go to next accepts BTECs!

i found this on their website, as a year 11, i though wqe would give me that uni based experience compred to other colleges.

WQE WEBSITE- Through their commitment to learning and hard-work, students achieved an exceptional 99% A-E pass rate across all subject areas, with 82% awarded ‘high grade’ passes this year, an increase of 5% on previous years.

Some of the highest grades were recorded in Further Mathematics, Modern Foreign Languages (French, German and Spanish), Fine Art, Fashion and Textiles, Photography, History, Geography, Religious Studies, Drama and Theatre Studies, Film Studies, Media Studies. In vocational Level 3 courses results were equally impressive, with 39% at distinction grade or above and overall 73% of all results were at a Merit grade or above.
Reply 6
Original post by rxmana
WQE- average grade is C+

Hey, I go to WQE and I would say that it is more beneficial to higher achievers already and those who are motivated to achieve as it is very independent and down to you as an individual to do the work i.e. in your frees its your decision whether you spend it with your friends or in the study centre. All the teachers that I have are excellent and mark extra work if needed so you can achieve the best grades, and there is support almost everywhere if you need it. I think that you shouldn't focus on what the average grades are as this is irrelevant to you as a student as it is down to you individually and how much time you are willing to dedicate. All of my teachers expect at least 5+ hours minimum outside lessons per subject a week, to achieve the top grades. :smile: Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending