The Student Room Group

applying twice to same uni, slightly different courses

I really have my eyes set on going to a specific uni. There are 2 courses I want to apply to (Social Policy, International Social and Public Policy) just to max out the chances of getting in, even though they are similar courses and I prefer ISPP to Social policy. Is this advisable? (FYI, I am applying with exam grades already so I could be getting unconditionals, if this changes anything)
Original post by eli126
I really have my eyes set on going to a specific uni. There are 2 courses I want to apply to (Social Policy, International Social and Public Policy) just to max out the chances of getting in, even though they are similar courses and I prefer ISPP to Social policy. Is this advisable? (FYI, I am applying with exam grades already so I could be getting unconditionals, if this changes anything)

Are the entry requirements for both courses the same?
If you have your heart set on a particular uni then absolutely apply to both courses at that uni. No use getting an unconditional from a second or third choice uni.
Reply 3
yes but i'm applying from the US so its AP scores not A levels, and I have 4 exams of score 5 when you only need 2-3 exams of score 4/5. So Im assuming I can get unconditionals because I exceed the requirements. still nervous tho
The courses are so similar that one PS should be cover both.
Just be aware that some Unis will only make one offer under these circumstances and just reject you from the other course.
If you can apply to two different Unis, its much 'safer'.
Original post by eli126

The only uni I can see that offers both those named courses is Bristol, and both courses are offered by the same department and have the same entry criteria. Therefore, if you are eligible for an offer for one course you would be eligible for the other, and vice versa if you were ineligible for an offer from one course. Hence applying to both will not increase your chances of getting an offer from that one uni, you would either be offered both (or either one or the other if their policy is to only make one offer per applicant - which some unis have as a policy), or you would be rejected from both. Either way, it's a waste of two choices on UCAS for no gain, you may as well just apply to another course elsewhere.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
The only uni I can see that offers both those named courses is Bristol, and both courses are offered by the same department and have the same entry criteria. Therefore, if you are eligible for an offer for one course you would be eligible for the other, and vice versa if you were ineligible for an offer from one course. Hence applying to both will not increase your chances of getting an offer from that one uni, you would either be offered both (or either one or the other if their policy is to only make one offer per applicant - which some unis have as a policy), or you would be rejected from both. Either way, it's a waste of two choices on UCAS for no gain, you may as well just apply to another course elsewhere.

yep bristol is what i was reffering to. the reason i want to apply twice is because i'm uncertain whether my PS is explicit enough about international social public policy (which i prefer over regular social policy). since all the other unis i'm applying to are just social policy, in my PS I say that i'm applying for "Social Policy" and idk if I would need to be more specific about ISPP.
In all honesty, I don’t think the personal statement for Bristol is going to be scored too closely, (happy to be corrected if anyone wants to tell me that their Public Policy courses are super competitive). I agree with artful_lounger that applying to two closely related courses is very unlikely to increase your chances, you’ll either get two offers or neither.

You can always ask them before applying, they may tell you the same. Or they may say that they consider applicants for both courses in any case.
Original post by eli126

Having applied with confirmed grades myself I sayas long as you meet a typical offer you really only need to apply to the course at the uni you really want.
Original post by eli126
yep bristol is what i was reffering to. the reason i want to apply twice is because i'm uncertain whether my PS is explicit enough about international social public policy (which i prefer over regular social policy). since all the other unis i'm applying to are just social policy, in my PS I say that i'm applying for "Social Policy" and idk if I would need to be more specific about ISPP.

The only other uni in the UK offering that specific course title is LSE (who most students would probably pick over Bristol!) so I think they will be used to having more general social policy personal statements and also will not be too judgemental about it because they are likely to lose a lot of their "market share" for that course to LSE! I think you should be fine.
Original post by Admit-One
In all honesty, I don’t think the personal statement for Bristol is going to be scored too closely,

you’ll either get two offers or neither.

Bristol doesnt read PS for with either course - but also they wont make offers for two courses in the same course group.
Pick one.

Social Policy is also offered by Bath, Swansea, LSE, and Salford
Original post by McGinger
Bristol doesnt read PS for with either course - but also they wont make offers for two courses in the same course group.

Thanks for the clarification, appreciated.
Reply 12
Original post by McGinger
Pick one.

Social Policy is also offered by Bath, Swansea, LSE, and Salford

wait how do u know bristol doesnt read PS? i heard that they didnt for law, medicine, etc but didnt know that was the same for SP.
Original post by eli126
wait how do u know bristol doesnt read PS? i heard that they didnt for law, medicine, etc but didnt know that was the same for SP.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2022/social-policy.pdf
Applications are scored and ranked based on their academic record, according to their achieved or predicted results with the following weightings:
GCSE 20% | A-Level 80%
PS are only referred to iwhere they need to decide between applicants with the same scores - they do not routinely read PS for this course..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending